Colt Horizontal Foregrips

As I dig through all of my weapons to check for correctness, I am amazed as to how much I am learning. (Thanks to Chuck, TD and many others) Also stunned to see the incorrectness of some of the weapons that I thought were correct. Over the many years that I have been collecting I was so busy with my job, I simply bought them and just tossed them in the vault.

I have 3 Colt 21/28 Navy weapons that have horizontal grips on them. #1360, #5458, and #10819. I always just assumed that the wood was original. Not. One of them had a military horizontal on it. Two have original Colt horizontals. For educational purposes, I thought I might post pics out here for all to see and learn from. #1360 and 10819 are Colt. #5458 is not. Pics aren't the best in the world but you will get the idea.

1360-1.JPG

1360-2.JPG

1360-3.JPG

5458-1.JPG

5458-2.JPG

5458-3.JPG

10819-1.JPG

10819-2.JPG

10819-3.JPG

horizontal1.JPG

horizontal2.JPG

Edited by firearm

Did you vet these with Chuck yet? Id like to see the side view of all three ( the one view not shown above). Chuck shared his horizontal Colt wood with me a few shows back and the side profile is what I found most differentiating.

1360 and 10819 both have offset swivels as advertised by Sedgley, however they are flipped, not that I believe there was a correct way for the offset to lean.

5458 has a military style swivel but I would like to see the side. Does not look like any maker stamps on the end

Ron

Nick,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but NO 5458 has a lot of problems. gijive and I were talking this morning about how the barrel has only 25 fins! Those with my book know right away this is a red flag! Last night when viewing your original post, I thought the fore grip on NO 5458 could possibly be one of the later Colt's horizonal fore grips as shown with the Swedish Colt's on pages 81 and 82 of my book (notwithstanding the low serial number), Your later post with the side view of all three horizontal fore grips (allowing me to count the barrel fins) indicates to me this is a home made fore grip. Given the barrel is not original, it is an easy decision to reach about the fore grip. It also makes me wonder what else has been changed on NO 5458.

I see via Gordon's book that you have owned NO 5458 since 1996. And NO 5458 was one of three Colt's originally shipped to the Daytona Beach Florida Police Department - NO 2512 (21A) and NO 5428 (28 NAVY). I feel certain NO 2512 has a vertical fore grip when shipped. It would be interesting to find out the type of fore grip on NO 5428, a very close serial number to your NO 5458.

Regardless of what else is wrong with NO 5458, if anything, it will make an excellent shooter grade Colt's. It would be great if you would post some additional pictures of NO 5458 so the Forum members can review and learn. To that end everyone should be very grateful for the pictures you posted of the horizontal fore grips for NO 1360 and NO 10819. Colt's with original horizontal fore grips are quite scarce!

Thank you again for sharing pictures of your collection!

Nick,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but NO 5458 has a lot of problems. gijive and I were talking this morning about how the barrel has only 25 fins! Those with my book know right away this is a red flag! Last night when viewing your original post, I thought the fore grip on NO 5458 could possibly be one of the later Colt's horizonal fore grips as shown with the Swedish Colt's on pages 81 and 82 of my book (notwithstanding the low serial number), Your later post with the side view of all three horizontal fore grips (allowing me to count the barrel fins) indicates to me this is a home made fore grip. Given the barrel is not original, it is an easy decision to reach about the fore grip. It also makes me wonder what else has been changed on NO 5458.

I see via Gordon's book that you have owned NO 5458 since 1996. And NO 5458 was one of three Colt's originally shipped to the Daytona Beach Florida Police Department - NO 2512 (21A) and NO 5428 (28 NAVY). I feel certain NO 2512 has a vertical fore grip when shipped. It would be interesting to find out the type of fore grip on NO 5428, a very close serial number to your NO 5458.

Regardless of what else is wrong with NO 5458, if anything, it will make an excellent shooter grade Colt's. It would be great if you would post some additional pictures of NO 5458 so the Forum members can review and learn. To that end everyone should be very grateful for the pictures you posted of the horizontal fore grips for NO 1360 and NO 10819. Colt's with original horizontal fore grips are quite scarce!

Thank you again for sharing pictures of your collection!

I knew the barrel had been replaced when I started tearing it down. You guys are correct. 25 fins. The actuator was Remington as well. However, everything else is original and the percentage of overall finish is well into the 90's. Why would someone go through the trouble of putting a new barrel on this weapon, putting an alignment mark in it's proper place and not take the time to make it look original? A sloppy alignment mark as well. After putting all 3 grips together, I was 99% sure that #5458 was not original, but I thought I would run it past you guys anyway. Never know for sure who made what when and was there an exception to the rule. So now I have to ask myself. I have a spare original barrel. An original Navy actuator and an original vertical grip. I am about half way going through all of my weapons. If I don't need those spares for anything else, I think I will take time to correct it. If I can get some spare time, I will post some pics of the entire weapon. BTW. You are correct in your thinking that if one thing is wrong, you better start looking real close. Seems there is always something else that is wrong.