Picked up a M1 Carbine today

I added a M1 carbine to my WWII USA weapon collection. As always, I most likely overpaid for it.

It is an auction gun that had several persistent bidders going after it.

I'm in the learning process with these carbines.

It is a very early original Inland.

How did I do?

Darryl

20160117144235-1393.jpg

20160117144228-5822.jpg

20160117144457-7584.jpg

20160117144249-4998.jpg

Darryl,

You have a very nice carbine. I can't make out the first number, what is it??

I have an Inland carbine serial number 28,xxx. I think the barrel is dated 8/42. Its buried in the safe and I'm too lazy to dig it out.

How about taking the barrel/receiver group out of the stock and take a close up pic.

These early Inlands were blued instead of Parkerizing. The blue on my carbine is washed away on the exterior, but visible when removed from stock.

My carbine appears to have a lot of field use.

I don't think my gun has a checkered mag catch so I suspect you have an earlier gun.

The only way to get the good stuff is to over pay, or just get lucky.

Jim C

Member Gio mentioned shooting the carbine. If it has the original extractor and plunger I would not advise shooting it.

The early plungers had a habit of flying out while shooting and be lost forever.

As with the Colt Thompsons, replace the bolt with a later bolt for shooting.

Edited by jim c 351

All depends if it is truly original or if it was corrected with old parts. Pictures of the internal parts and makings on the parts would help.

There was a time when a lot of Carbines were corrected by installing 1st generation parts. Looking at the wear of the parts, color match,

ID stamps on parts can help you find out if it is all original or has been corrected. Sling is an early sling. Looks to be a high wood I cut stock.

What are the markings on the stock and the metal parts? What hammer is in it? What slide? Trigger housing? Have you posted it on the

M1 Carbine Collectors site that David mentioned in another thread?

Nice looking 1st block production Inland. As others have stated would have to see more pixs to tell if all is correct. I have a 2nd block production Inland and love it.

Good luck with it and enjoy shooting your M1 they are fun to shoot.

Frank

Jim,

The serial number is 15064 and it has a 6/42 Inland barrel.

I've got plenty of seller photos, but I'm not up to speed yet on the different parts.

The seller stated that it has:

Original 2- position flip site

Narrow barrel band with narrow swivel

Type1 trigger housing and pin

Early type1 serrated type 1 magazine release

Early checkered push button safety

Earl type 1 slotted dogleg hammer

Type 1 trigger

Type 1 sear

Early Type2 flat blued bolt

Type 1 firing pin

Type 1 extractor

Type 1 extractor plunger

Type 1 operating slide

Early high wood / I cut stock

Correct type 2 recoil plate

Diagonal checkered butt plate

Early 2 rivet hand guard with deep sight channel

Darryl

20160117144354-1574.jpg

20160117144350-2222.jpg

20160117144453-8903.jpg

20160117144401-1729.jpg

Let me see, I don't know what I'm looking at yet :-)

20160117144248-2899.jpg

20160117144359-3106.jpg

From what little I know; every thing looks legit! One main thing to look for is the hammer mark on the trigger frame [ pic #4] One mark= one hammer means very very good!!

Your list shows all the correct parts as far as I know, These carbines will drive you nuts checking individual parts without the proper books. More than Tsmg's. KEEP IT!! and enjoy!!

I'm glad I didn't make a WHurley type mistake like I did when I got into Thompsons.

In hind sight it may be like I'm hearing, I didn't overpay...I just bought early :-)

Somehow, my wife doesn't understand that premise.

Thanks everyone, I'll have to find a book or two and bone up on these.

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

If you can try to see the receiver area under the rear sight spring, original flip sights are not usually staked in as were the later adjustable rear sights. No sign of staking is a good indication the flip sight is the original and not a "corrected" carbine.

Darrylta,

I like it! An M1 Carbine was my first firearm ever purchased, and now I own three, and want to own several more.

My suggestion is to complete a Carbine Data Sheet, and submit it through the Carbine Club. It will be great for your own future reference, and to share with others. It breaks down the Carbine part by part. You can find all the information you need about it in this forum.

I'm certainly not a Carbine expert, but I am closely associated with keeping the club going, and learning more about Carbines every opportunity that presents itself. My area of expertise involves the paper items associated with the Carbine. Big surprise, right?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

DD1110,

I can tell that you are a big proponent of buying quality.

The 5050 Colt is a testament to that.

David,

I'll for sure post on the Carbine site, this gun came with

the most photos of any gun I've ever bought. I knew it

was special and the fact that it had over a hundred bids on it.

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful rifle. Careful, they tend to reproduce. I have four and have the itch for more. One day maybe I'll have one of each from each prime manufacture.

I have an Inland M1A1, a Saginaw, an IBM (which actually has an auto ordnance receiver) and a quality hardware.

Thanks, I've looked into them, they seem to be a bear to strip if you don't have the proper tools.

I doubt if I'll ever take it to the range or detail strip it. I'm keeping my eye open for a shooter.

It's an investment in my WWII collection.

Darryl

Darryl,

With the exception of the bolt and sights, the carbine can be totally disassembled using nothing more than a cartridge.

The screw on the front band is made to fit the rim of a cartridge and the nose of the bullet can push the band retaining spring.

The operating spring guide will be used to strip the trigger housing group.

I use to do this to past the time when I was 16 years old.

Unless you have a good reason I don't advise stripping the bolt even with the proper bolt tool. If you loose the tiny extractor spring plunger you may have trouble finding another type 1 plunger.

Jim C

Jim,

I'll leave this one alone and keep an eye out for a shooter.

Who knows, I may be able to pick up one at the SAR East show.

Are you going to the show?

Darryl

Darryl,

No, I won't be attending the SAR show. Too far for me.

You should have no trouble finding a carbine. They are at all the shows.

Keep your eye out for a 6 million , hand stamped Inland. These carbines had the "1" ground of the M1 on the receiver. They were later hand stamped with either a "1" or a "2" depending on whether they had enough M2 parts on hand to make a gun. They are my favorites and I have several.

It would be an extreme contrast to your early Inland.

Jim C

PS ,Last week I bought a decent Colt New Service 45 Colt Long revolver. When I get around to taking a photo I'll post it.

Jim C

Jim,

Sorry to hear you aren't going.

I had some experts check out the photos of my Inland.

They all said that the butt plate is off a commercial post WWII gun.

I've contacted the seller about it, he graciously cut his price by $200.

So I guess I'm in the market for an early diagonal Inland butt plate.

I think there fairly rare :-) Time will tell.

Darryl

Jim,

I was able to find a correct butt plate and have clarification from the seller that the carbine has the original black oxide finish.

Sometimes it's hard to discern finish from just photos.

The experts that have helped are on the M1 carbine website mentioned on David's post at the top of the carbine forum page.

These guys really know about carbines and are just as picky on details as us Thompsonits :-)

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta