Registered Gun Without Papers

I am on the trail of 2 Colts that were registered to a corporation and taken home by an employee when the plant closed. Is there any way to get the guns and have the registration transferred. The company still exists and I know who has the guns and he is willing to sell the colts for a very reasonable sum. I have not seen them but did see a picture taken of them with the employee.

Can this be done? I suppose I would have to make a deal with the company and get the guns returned to them while the paperwork is being processed. Any assistance will be appreciated.

If the guns are true corporate items then they should have paper. It does sound like the employee shouldn't have them personally but as long as they are in the NFA roles, why couldn't the seller get a dealer to fill out a form 3 and transfer them to another dealer for you to buy on a form four?

Maybe I am missing the point of your post... what are you worried about? The fact that he has the guns when he MIGHT not have the paper in his name is not your problem. As Lancer said, the other big question is are these guns his to sell? Doesn't sound like it to me.

I would tread carefully as well, less for legal reasons versus the fact of this being corporate versus personal property.

Chris.

"do you guy's want this stuff that bad that now there is dishonesty involved.........or some theft problem.the guy took them home when the place closed.what in 1933???"

hey ron added judge to your title

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jan 17 2005, 01:59 AM)
"do you guy's want this stuff that bad that now there is dishonesty involved.........or some theft problem.the guy took them home when the place closed.what in 1933???"

offer deleted!! let big daddy work his all inspiring magic!!

phil is right, if the guy is not the head of the Corp. or it's authorized agent he has no legal right to either possess or to sell these Thompson's. He needs to get them back into the control of the Corp. and then you can see if they will sell them to you. If he gets caught with them they hopefully will be given back to the Corp. and not taken and destroyed...

QUOTE (colt21a @ Jan 17 2005, 09:26 AM)

thanks ron but i didn't make any offers implied or otherwise. nor did i imply people on the board were resorting to dishonesty in their thompson greed.... far be it for me to raise the ire of a respected board member *wink*

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jan 17 2005, 11:41 AM)

thanks ron but i didn't make any offers implied or otherwise. nor did i imply people on the board were resorting to dishonesty in their thompson greed.... far be it for me to raise the ire of a respected board member *wink*

big daddy who love's ya baby!!kojak...

i hope he gets his little thompson mess worked out...with no loss of colt's............take care,ron

stay safe and healthy in 2005..........

QUOTE (colt21a @ Jan 17 2005, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jan 17 2005, 11:41 AM)

big daddy who love's ya baby!!kojak...

i hope he gets his little thompson mess worked out...with no loss of colt's............take care,ron

stay safe and healthy in 2005..........

i think we're goin for a world record there little buddy... most boxes in a post....

The person was given the guns when the plant was closed and a bill of sale was given with them but no one ever did the paperwork so wanted to know if I got the person with the guns to talk to a company represenative and let them take possition again. Then have someone with the corp. sign the Transfer to me then I think that woyuld be the only legal way to do it. I cant think of any other way to get the guns legally. The plant closed in 1985 and the guy was a security guard and that is how he wound up with them. No one had any interest except the guy that now has them and the company had them so long I guess no one thought to legally transfer them. He is now 80 and offered them to a friend who had no interest untill I told him what they were worth. The guy offerd them for $300.00 each and I quote "They both have them round clips". I want to rescue the guns from an unlawful existance and get registered guns back in the proper hands.

I just do not and will not do anything unethical or illegal no matter how bad i want the guns. Thus the request for good advice possibly from someone that has been in the same situation and accomplished the desired results.

Thanks

I am going to offer more if we can put together a deal and do it legally and condition. The company still exists just closed the plant where the guns were.

I will be fair if it works out.

You probably should spend the bucks to consult an attorney to determine whether a former officer of a dissolved company has authority to sign on behalf of the company. Typically, there is a regimented procedure to dissolve the company. Perhaps an argument can be made that the sale was legally made by the company, but it was never "completed", therefore the former officer would still have "apparent authority" to compete the transaction.

Probably worth the $500 it will take you in legal fees to find out. Find a business attorney in your area.

State laws vary and you should consult a local attorney for a proper opinion. This does not constitute legal advice.

UNLESS of course, you want to do a trade in which case I will retain an attorney to pontificate an opinion.!!!!!! :-)

Ken Hale, Esq.

Edited by TNKen

cavediver Posted on Jan 18 2005, 11:28 AM
good attorney

Good and Attorney in the same line! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Couldn't pass that one up.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

That's OK, I like to hear folks say stuff like that, and remind them of it when they come running!!!!!!!

Ken