FOIA Request

DZelenka

i do them each separate and include my form 4 with each one..as i was told once i didnt own the gun i was trying to get a foia on.....

i talked to them on the phone after they said no, they called me back multiple times over it.....it is a very typical government agency...it became confusing for them as well as me and they did not seem to understand, then they would, then they wouldnt....i started over in the end.

i wouldnt make it anymore confusing than it has to be...and sadly adding more guns on the same piece of paper is making it more confusing....its worth extra stamps

Edited by huggytree

I have submitted ten serial numbers on a single list for FOIA and received the copies in three batches over a year later. This was over four years ago. There really is no difference in copying and collating one set of records or a larger number, it is all the same process.

Having done many FOIAs, the results have been quite consistent over the last thirty or more years as far as what I have received from the agency. It is always really interesting information in my opinion.

It is advisable to have the letter notarized, and include copies of registrations. FWIW

PHONE #

DATE

Chief, Disclosure Division
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives
Washington, D.C. 20226

re: Information Request Pursuant to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, NAME, social security number xxx-xx-xxx, residing at ADDRESS, hereby request, pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, that you provide me with all information and copies of all documents related to the firearm(s) specified below, that is, on information and belief, a machinegun (as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845() registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record:

- Thompson 1928 sub-machine gun, Serial # XXXXX, Manufacturer by Savage.

I am seeking a copy of all information currently in the possession of your agency with regards to the above described gun, including the weapon history report.

I also understand that certain personal information on records relating to the National Firearms Registration and Registration Record are exempt from disclosure under FOIA. To the extent possible, please provide me with copies of such records redacted to remove the exempt information.

I hereby agree to pay all search and duplication fees in the amount of up to $100. If you estimate fees will exceed this amount please contact me. I am making this request as an individual seeking information for personal use and not for a commercial use, which I believe makes me an "all other requestor" for purposes of calculation of such fees. In support of the preceding sentence, I submit that I currently have no intention of selling the firearm(s) described above and therefore any information obtained by virtue of this request letter would not contribute any significant pecuniary gain to me.

I declare under penalty of perjury (pursuant to 28 USC 1746) that I am David J Treutelaar, that I am the Trustee of Treutelaar NFA Trust that this letter is submitted on behalf of the Company, and to the best of my knowledge the Company is the current lawful owner of the machinegun(s) described above and the information set forth in this letter is true and correct and that I understand the penalties provided in 5 U.S.C. 552a(i)(3) for requesting access to records under false pretenses.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to accommodate your processing of my information request.

Respectfully,

Thanks Huggytree:

That's just what I am looking for. I have an original Buffalo ANM2 and an Ingram M6 that is possibly one of the Sing Sing prison guns that I would like to learn more about.

I have gotten a lot of good information from this Board, and do appreciate it.

BP

i sent in the FOIA on my M6 also...waiting to here back.....i figure its a police/prison gun......hoping for any info...its probably not going to say SING SING on your form...

i bought my ruger kac556k from the son of the prison warden....my foia gave me no info on what prison......i tried calling the guy back to ask him what prison, but the phone # doesnt work anymore...my 1 chance of getting the real history is gone....

when buying a gun get all the info you can.....in 100 years even a mac 11 will be a historical gun to someone....no one cares right now, so that history will all be lost...i keep track of all the details i can on all of mine....it may add some value some day

I haven't done an FOIA in many years however there is a subgun I have that I would like to know more about so I went ahead and sent one in, (regular snail mail). I received a reply letter in less than 2 weeks. According to the verbage in the letter, I could be waiting quite a while for the response. Curious to know if everyone else is getting there request assigned to the category of "Complex Request" like mine has...or do you think they merely are assigning everyone to this category to prepare you for the long wait?

MH

FOIA 1.jpg

FOIA 2.jpg

• 2 months later...

I submitted a FOIA request on Aug. 19, 2018 and received requested forms on Oct. 3, 2018. A little over 6 weeks.

This response only went back to 1968. The ATF classified this as a simple request.

I also submitted another FOIA request on Aug 19, 2018 and received a letter a month latter informing me that this request was considered a "complex" request and would take longer.

Jim C

Mine went in last November. Same situation, letter received within two weeks. Still waiting. Called this morning and left a message to check on the status.

Ron

Arrived in the mail today. Very interesting info to me. Seems there is more they did not send as it was not in the scope of my request.

Ron

I submitted a FOIA request on Aug. 19, 2018 and received requested forms on Oct. 3, 2018. A little over 6 weeks.

This response only went back to 1968. The ATF classified this as a simple request.

I also submitted another FOIA request on Aug 19, 2018 and received a letter a month latter informing me that this request was considered a "complex" request and would take longer.

Jim C

Several weeks ago I received my FOIA from my request mailed in July. It seemed to me that it came too quickly for a "complex" case. The information was similar to Jim's experience as the data only went back to the late "60's. This was a WWII produced gun...perhaps that means it was amnesty registered? The information I received told me almost nothing. So I'm beginning to wonder if they are not being as thorough in their responses just to whittle down the vast number of requests?

MH

Mike,

Was the late 60s form 4467? If so, then it is an Amnesty registration. A FOIA allows one to see the original date of registration and entry into the NFRTR.

Manufacturers during WWII were not required to register their MGs with the NFA as defense contractors. If your WWII MG did not return on a Form 6 War Trophy, dewat, registered on a Form 1, went to a LE agency on a Form 5, from the military post war or from a LE agency to an SOT. Then it looks like an Amnesty registration.

Was it rendered unserviceable or registered as a live MG?

Sometimes, a MG is registered twice. We had a WWII MG registered in 1955, then registered again in 1968. It happens, but the most important piece of information is the original date of entry into the NFRTR.

We had a potential deal that were supposed to be C&R WWII submachine guns. We decided to wait until the FOIA information was received on the sellers end.

One was a Sales Sample and the other a Pre 86 remanufacture.

It all depends on what you want from the information. Most of it will be redacted in part, sometimes in full...

If not satisfied, you have 90 days from the date on the letter accompanying the information. To file an appeal as stated on the letter.

We did once as we knew that some of the transfers were missing and the original registration date form, of one MG was missing.

10 months after filing an appeal, we received the rest of the information...

Edited by fifthmdec