1927m1a1

Rich,

I'll try to say this as gently as possible, but you have asked this question in four or five different message threads and received clear and unambiguous answers from some of the forum's most knowledgeable members.

To recap:

1. An M1 bolt won't fit properly in a Kahr '27A1.

2. An M1A1 bolt won't fit properly either.

3. Replacing the bolt on your Kahr '27A1 isn't necessary unless it's damaged beyond repair.

4. If you WERE able to make an M1A1 bolt fit in a '27 receiver, the fixed firing pin would render the gun a new and illegal full-auto-only weapon that could not be legally registered - EVER, unless you were specially licensed by the BATFE as a manufacturer of machine guns.

5. If you were to modify the receiver to accept an M1 bolt, it would violate the terms of BATFE approval as a semi auto receiver, since with a simple modification to the (unregulated) lower frame the piece could quickly and easily be converted to selective fire.

Any way you slice it, if you do any of these things you'd better pack your toothbrush 'cause you're headed for the slammer.

No offense intended, but why are you so intent on replacing the bolt in a gun you just bought and apparently know very little about? If, as may be the case, you are fishing for information or dreaming about how to do a simple full auto modification, forget it! If not, listen to the experts' advice, get some ammo, go to the range and enjoy.

"I'll try to say this as gently as possible, but you have asked this question in four or five different message threads and received clear and unambiguous answers from some of the forum's most knowledgeable members."

It was my missunderstanding (reading different threads) that the Kahr bolt wasn't the best for this gun (safe). I was under the impression that they were interchangeable. My thinking was to make the gun more reliable (safer). Now that being stated, I was unaware that and if it were possible, it wouldn't be legal. As for the repeated posts, when I hit the post button, it came up error, in an attemp to get it posted I hit the button three times.

Im not trying to be pushy, wasn't my intent, but only trying to ask a question. Yes Im new to this, and was only trying to get some friendly advice.

Thanks to those that did!

Edited by Tash329

FWIW, and I have mentioned this in previous post's, the early produced Numrich '27A1 Guns did feature modified M1 TSMG Bolts. Later, WH switched to their own production. I will also say the Kahr Bolt, in my opinion are of better quality. Also, the early modified M1 Bolts as used by Numrich/West Hurley were primarily used with the Bolt Hold Open Thompson's. I have never encountered such a Bolt on any standard Numrich '27A1 Gun. And, when I have talked with those at WH in the late 1980's, I was told that the reason WH discontinued the use of their Hold Open Feature (Where one would draw back the Bolt, and push up on the Bolt Handle to lock the Bolt back) is due in part, if the Rifle dropped with the Bolt back, and if there was a loaded Magazine inserted into the Gun, it could fire a round.

Yes Im new to this, and was only trying to get some friendly advice.
Thanks to those that did!

OUCH! I may have had that coming! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Sorry if I went off half-cocked there Rich, and I sincerely apologize if I mis-read the situation. What I saw (or thought I saw) was somebody who wanted - for "safety" and/or "reliability" - to replace a brand new bolt on a brand new semi with a bolt that with modification would have allowed full auto operation.

We've all seen the type at shows: Guy hangs around booth asking leading questions about where to get this part or that part, usually with some unconvincing cover story, and later across the aisle asking for the rest of the full auto complement. I usually try to discourage these guys by telling them that they don't even know what trouble is until they mess with an NFA violation; tell em real-life horror stories and watch em go all defensive and apologetic while their eyes are shifting around to see if anybody in a dark business suit is standing nearby.

Just for the record I was one of those who offered "friendly advice". If you didn't see it, check here:

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...=2353&st=20&hl=

To review all threads and responses, here:

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...sult_type=posts

Again, sorry for any embarrassment - I probably should have emailed you.

Peace

Bob:

No problem. I thought I had purchased a dog after reading some of the various threads. My concern was only to make the gun safer for me & those around me to shoot. Safety is my primary concern, yet I'd like it to look as much like the orginal as possible. Im looking to see what goodies I can add or have done to make the gun more functional & safer within the law.

Again thanks for your help & those who also help answer my question.

Rich