Reising 50 firing pin keeps breaking off

ttolley

I have lost 2 firing pins. I replaced my original with one from http://www.keystonearms.com, a titanium Reising firing pin manufactured by Christies Products. The end broke off after about 200-300 rounds. Has anyone else had firing pin problems with their M 50's?

It doesn't seem reasonable that a titanium pin would break off at all, much less than after 200 or so rounds. The pin was lubercated and was not jamming at all. The pin was also hitting the center of my bullet primers. I am at a loss here. A picture of the break is attached.

Tom T.

post-259667-0-99033100-1428769173_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just thinking out loud here. The inertial firing pin or floating firing pin seems to work really well. Might it be possible that the firing pins are supposed to be that way and the "replacement" firing pin was to be fitted to a particular gun? In other words, pins were left a bit long to be shortened on installation? I've been in mechanical production for 30+ years and I am amazed at what goes on with production when the guy that designed the stuff is sitting 150' away!

Again just a thought.

I'd best dig out the Model 50 and start a spring tune-up and firing pin filing :)

Good Luck,

Grasshopper

The firing pin spring is made of beryllium copper and is noncorrosive. Nice thing to have when using corrosive ammo, but beryllium copper springs loose their tensile strength more quickly than steel springs. My opinion is to replace firing pin spring, with a modern spring.