Arma Steel identification

Almost all of them were. If I had to make an educated guess from studying production numbers I'd say before SN 503,000. But perhaps not even that many. You'd have to inspect and decide for that particular demil

I tried to make a display gun 20 years ago by welding the mild steel plates in between the front and rear 2 inches of an Armasteel demill. I was using a MIG welder and was actually in a welding class at the time so I had some skill. The Armasteel crumbled like sand beneath the arc. I can't comment on TIG welding but I wouldn't hold out much hope

Brazing will work on Armasteel however. I have seen several examples of 'Remilled' registered receivers. They function as intended but the brazing is fairly obvious, as brass won't take parkerizing.

JYS

Armasteel is not a steel alloy but is a malleable cast iron alloy which is why it cannot be arc or gas welded. It will braze well though. The type of cast iron was developed by GM for manufacture of thick cross-section auto and truck engine and transmission components and housings. It was quite successful for the receivers and lowers of the BARs. Lowers have the Armasteel logo cast into the side of the part with the initials of the BAR manufacturer. FWIW

I am looking at a N.E Arms BAR , its serial is in the 585xxxx range its has been brazed and is fully transferable , what would be a good price for a BAR thats has been brazed? Not sure how this affects the value.