Fully transferable MG 42/59 sells for BIG money at Morphy's auctio

maxfaxdude

Lot #1019 Fully transferable MG 42/59 sold for $192,000 (includes 20% buyer's premium) today at Morphy's auction.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__ORIGINAL_RHEINMETTAL_MANUFACTURED_FULLY_TRANSF-LOT531611.aspx

Does anyone here happen to have one that they would be willing to sell me for less than $192,000?

Did you catch the C&R Uzi that hammered for $60K? With premium that's $72K plus tax out the door. For an Uzi, even an original one? Makes my $12K Vector look better and better.

I saw that. Apparently it's a factory original that made it into the US before the 1968 GCA took effect.

As a side note, does anybody know who JR Moody was?

JOE MOODY A HOTEL OWNER IN FLORIDA AND SHOOTER COLLECTOR GOOD GUY SOLD HIM A FEW GUNS OVER THE YEARS/.I hope he is still kicking and that was not some estate sale deal.

Don't really care what anything sells for it puts nothing into my pocket. We just ooooh and awwww at prices now, And look in the safe or basement, or closet. Most will be sold and you won't get a dime, the family will. Since you had the pride and brag of ownership for decades. that is a the Legacy of a gun owner.

• Upvote 1

And I sold my FACTORY NEW> Serial #1 from the museum same gun new in crate {posty} for 3 g. ten years ago. i got ripped off.OH WAIT this one HAD A FORM 4. $189 G MORE FOR THE PAPER.

The Uzi was a steal right?

colt21a...thanks for the info on Moody. I couldn't find anything about him anywhere. My guess is that he's passed and his collection went to auction. I agreed with Ryo that most everything sold was way overpriced. But there were some rare birds in there. I was bidding on both the Swiss Sig Neuhausen MKPS and Walther MPK but then (as usual) the stupid money kicked in and... well, if I had won, I would have to explain to my wife why I'm writing an $80,000+ check to Morphy's.

The closed prices at Morphys reflect a 23% premium which you can get discounted. Does not reflect sales tax on 192,000....hopefully the buyer is in Montana or some such other state?

The swiss Sig sold for 18K + premium in 2007 if my notes are correct.

A local guy had several items in this auction and will net less than what I offered him, but his math skills are limited and he will still believe he made a killing when he eventually gets paid.

I already wrote a couple auction checks in the last two weeks, so timing is everything. Lots of cool items for sure.

I'd never heard of JR Moody either, but I don't run in those circles? Ownership time is limited for all of us!

Begging your pardon C21A but Don't think Joe was a hotel owner in FL. Do know he was into shipping and barges. Do know hes been into MGs since the early 1980's

Shot with him a couple times. He's been very sick and trying to clean up his affairs. He wrote several articles for MGN and SAR. Even more important, HE INVENTED THE GRIP POD! probably made a few bucks off that! Also worked on an ammo hanger for the M240B. Wishing him All the Best in these tough times. BP

Only going by what he told me in the 90s. maybe he owned one at one time.Whos knows.And i guess now its out he is not doing good. which is sad. Hope it all works out well and he can enjoy some of the bucks from the sale.

As a side note, does anybody know who JR Moody was?

HAH, nope. I love it when they try to pump up interest on an item with "provenance" from someone no one's ever heard of.

It's even more amusing when, in my opinion, they completely misidentify a rare and unique MG that is easily researched in a current and excellent reference book. Such is life.......

post-504-0-90505300-1555172356_thumb.jpg

Only owning any gun with some historical significance would make a difference and of course a great condition also.

If it was in the same room with J.D. OR A.C. But as far as the dealer that had it not much. At current prices. I don't think they care, they just want to buy that gun.

For $5.17 M, I could have a whole arsenal of machine guns, a lifetime's supply of ammo and a really nice house. But maybe the guy already has all of that!

Actually, 5.17M well invested would yield only about $100K a year. Anymore, "wealth" starts at $10M. Or you could just spend the cash on those items but have no cash flow once the money was gone. Like the Mexicans say, "Money is like candy. Once it's gone, what do you have?"

• 2 months later...

JR Moody is a retiree that lived most of his life in Jacksonville FL. He made his money in barges and offshore rigging/drilling for piers and such. He was interested in MG's well before 1986 and several of his guns were obtained or converted by him prior to '86. He acquired guns from all over and from importers including from the HP White labs and from RJ Perry. The MG42/59 Rhinemetall gun was from the Winchester museum. He amassed quite a collection and kept everything in close to pristine condition. Yes, he did invent the GripPod and made a significant sum of money on that venture. Also invented the M240 balanced belt box but was never able to monetize that invention. More recently his health deteriorated rather quickly to the point where he is now completely incapacitated and will never recover.

It's all just stuff. Enjoy it while you can, 'cause you aint taking it with you

• 2 months later...

Just think what the seller will have to pay in taxes for this year with he gets the Form 1099 which lists an income of $192K for the year. Probably $180K will end up going to IRS!!!

That's why you deduct from the price all the ammo that was shot through the gun over the years as demonstration cost leading to the sale. Of course that cost should be adjusted for inflation. That should take a bite out of the tax bill.

Can you add in the expenses of the storage and cleaning cost as well. The gas required to transport said gun to these demonstrations as well as the wear and tear on the vehicle. Then there is the cost of all the research materials you bought over the years to keep current on MG technology for the gun (SAR sub and other gun rags).

• 7 months later...
On 5/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, StrangeRanger said:

Did you catch the C&R Uzi that hammered for $60K? With premium that's $72K plus tax out the door. For an Uzi, even an original one? Makes my $12K Vector look better and better.

Yeah. I was the other bidder (loser). They had two C&R Uzi's in that session, but one was not clean (due to its IRS s/n? I forgot), so I focused on the other one. The price went up quickly,,,, I tried $55k or $50k, the winner suppressed me by $5k more. I gave up.

Before the auction, the number in my mind was $30k. But there were too many bidders, $30k did not work. 

Uzi is common, but C&R Uzi is rare. 

Edited by yohuang