Early 1927a1

I bought one of the first 1927A1 Thonpsons avalible Serial Number 3955. Does anyone know if they were investment cast or machined from a solid block. It has always functioned very well but it does not get much use since I bought a WH1928 in 1982. I also would like to know the value of a New York 50 round drum that was bought from SARCO in 1983. It has a black oxide finish that was not original. I think it was refinished.

Your receiver was machined from bar, not cast.

Boy, do we all wish we had bought a boat load of those L drums when they were released.

Cavediver,

The value of your drum on condition (as always), function and which NY drum it is. There were five or six (memory fails me) New York drums, each with different characteristics and manufactured at different times between 1921 and 1941. The first three gen drums command a premium price. The later drums are still more valuable than a WWII drum, but not as much as the early "Colt" drums. If the refinishing was done well, it should not hurt the value too much, but that depends on what the buyer is looking for.

An original finish NY L-drum through generation 3 is probably in the $1300-1800 range. Gen 4-6 is probably in the $1000-1500 range. That's my best approximation. I haven't been buying drums much lately, so I may be a bit off.

PK, AIN'T IT THE TRUTH!!!