28 Thompson Parts

The last issue of the Shotgun News on p.75 (volume 58, issue 1) is a Sarco ad for '28 Thompson parts. They usually have very worn parts I'm tolded. Enjoy! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I ordered some 1928 parts from SARCO a while back. It took them about 3 weeks before they contacted me that they didn't have all of the parts I ordered, though I had called about availability when I made the original order and made the order over the phone. The parts arrived another couple of weeks later. The actuator was indeed noticeably worn, though not by any means worn out.

I ordered a 1928 internal parts set from IMA for $300.00. Again I ordered over the phone. The parts arrived within a week or so later during the busy Christmas shipping season. The parts set was beautiful. Like new. The bolt was one of the "nickel"ones.

I've bought some parts from Sarco at Knob Creek....really had to sift through their "trash" until my hands were a cosmoline mess!!

Found a few deals, but mostly when they give me a highball price, I shake my head and walk away.

Can't say I've bought too uuch from IMA, but I'll certainly check 'em out.

I've bought parts from Northridge and all were really pretty nice. And the prices are good too! BUT the downside is the limited number of items they have at times. If anyone gets down to the L.A. area (like I did last year on vacation) stop in to their store....really neat place to visit and I GUARANTEE you'll find something you need or want!! But call ahead, as their showroom is only open on3e day a week now.

john

IMA is a pleasure to deal with, Sarco does not know the difference between chicken salad & chicken s##t, nor do they care. And they are SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of ordering Sarco's "Excellent to New" 28 parts before seeing this thread. Called before Christmas, they arrived last night. I ordered a non-crossbolt buttstock assembly, a finned barrel (with receiver front and grip mount), a rear grip screw, and a repro 50 rnd mag pouch.

Everything arrived, except for the screw -- but I still got screwed.

The buttstock looked like crap, lots of big dings and dents, plus some fairly new punctures or gouges. Couldn't be steamed and sanded enought to refinish. The metal on the slide was ok, but the buttplate & screws had black paint that was half flaked off.

The barrel looked unfired, except that the threads at the muzzle had been damaged so that you wouldn't be able to screw on a compensator. The pouch was o.k., except it looks really cheap & cheesey.

I called this morning and received authorization to return. No hassel over the phone, but we'll see if they give me my money back w/o a fight. Stay tuned.

On my way to the Post Office to return the Sarco parts, I called IMA and broke down and ordered their $1,000 parts kit. I talked to t heir Thompson parts gun, Walter, who told me the kits had come from a U.S. aresnal overhaul program. He thought they were Thompsons that had been refurbished or were in the process of being refurbished. They were to be reissued, but the military changed its mind and scrapped them. He said he occasionally sees minute pitting that has been blued over.

Gunner,

Interesting.....When I spoke with their "Thompson guy" (Can't recall his name but he was Britsh) he told me they were from a batch of 200 sold to an attorney many years ago as an investment. The attorney, as the story goes, died in 2002 and in mid 2003 an agreement was made for IMA to sell them off.

Whichever story you want to believe the kits are nice and you won't be disappointed.

Chuck