A New World Indoor Record For Asking Price!

Sounds like a person wanting to test the envelope of what collectors will pay. The irony is, it seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. One person leads the pack with an outrageous price and before you know it, everyone is doing it. I watched that happen almost overnight with the W.Hurleys.

I don't know how this is going to sound coming out but when I see a high dollar gun- and friend's anything over 3-4 grand is a bunch for a firearm to most folks I shy away from those using hotmail accounts and the like- talk the talk but no pic and even with a pic it doesn't mean he has it. Everyone is free to ask what they want and we are free to say no. I would like to have a C&R THompson and if I am going near 20K I will be saving my nickles above that for a Colt, plain and simple- SOmday I will see one but I hit my limit with my MG43 so I may not be able to make myself go all the way for what a Colt may bring in the near future, rather make a deal now in the 20's first.

Mark

Well the sad part is now this is 'market pricing'. As has been argued before: it is not what it sold for but what it is priced at that dictates market. I don't agree but there it is. Like big stinky one floating in punch bowl. Every one will see it and want to do the same with thier prices.

We could boycott, but unfortunately there are rich guys out there who wouldn't think twice over a few thousand more. That is what I experienced about land in my area. Huge demand for this stuff, isn't there?

I just wandered over there to prestige, scrolled down, fell out of my chair and just crawled back upon it. I understand the Savage is over priced for today and probably for the next 3 years but the 21A... its either a typo or a pyscho, nto sure which- I will have to catch that one at a museum and stick with the one I already bought.

Here is the real problem, and this can be said about damn near anything. There are some folks out there that have so much money, the price really doesn't matter that much. I'm not just talking about folks that are very well off, I'm referring to those that can buy a gun, or whatever, and it really doesn't matter if the price is $20K or $30K, assuming $20K is market on this item; $10K is just a mere drop in the bucket. It's like some of us goingto the store for something we want and it's $30, sure, you know you can get one on-line for $20, but it's really only $10 more, so who cares, it's only $10. And that's why the prices keep shooting through the roof.

Can't disagre with that at all Emmgee. Less than 3 months ago I saw a WH 1928 in the box with a mag and a L drum for 12.5k, it had been fired approx 150 rds. I knew it was little high, maybe up to 2K high I didn't know but I didn't want to look much further as there was not exactly a bunch of them coming on the boards over the last 8 months or so. Praying on my mind was the fact that they will probably get to the price I paid shortly-worth it or not is subjective when you don't have one. Like anyone I would have liked a C&R but alas it was not be-yet. I had particuliar guns I wanted in a small little collection, the stuff I like, damn the values involved- something all the kids and grand kids could take a run at over the years from AM180 to MG42. I may be part of the problem http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif but I have everything I wanted on the way or here already so I am set just to watch the festivities now and collect parts.

Mark

I think what you have here is the classic economic case of supply vs. demand. The supply is fixed since there are no more of them. The demand is increasing due to more collectors, more books, more websites. Hence, the price increases until the supply and demand equalize. You really can't stop it, for as long as there are people willing to pay what it takes to buy the weapons. And yes, the guys who can't or won't pay the market price get left behind. It was the same process for Revolutionary War and Civil War weapons, high end Winchesters, first generation SAA Colts, etc.

I'm a good example of the process. I've been collecting guns for 35 years and just today put the paperwork in the mail to the BATF for a 1921 A Colt Thompson, my first class 3 weapon. And I'd like to have an MP 40 and a M1 Thompson to go with it someday. I had to pay about 35% more for it than I planned to six months ago, but today, I could probably flip the gun and make 35% or more profit (but I won't).

It's kind of like wishing I could buy gas for $0.25 per gallon like I used to when I was a kid. But unless the supply goes way up, or the demand goes way down, that isn't likely.

Sniper

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif Maybe a way to get the prices in control are in our hands? Someone mentioned boycott. Well thats fine but as someone else said there will always be a guy with plenty of money and no brains. Why not every Thompson owner make a posting for a reasonable price for their gun. Just maybe your wife gets to buy it first and it may be sold fast. At least you will be controling the asking price if not the selling price. OH, by the way don't tell your wife about this as she might take you seriously. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

QUOTE (Bob @ Jul 14 2004, 10:29 AM)
Welcome to the new world of supply and demand!

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale....cgi?read=47057

Keep going up babys! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

NFA Market Board

WTS: C&R M1 Thompson,AC556F, Colt 16's

Posted By: Kathy Poling (pm2.blackfoot.net)

Date: 7/14/04 11:10

M1 Thompson (C&R) Absolutely gorgous gun, upper and lower numbers match,

proof marks, very nice wood. If this doesn't find a new home, it won't

hurt my feelings.... $15900

=============================================

NFA Market Board

Re: WTS: C&R M1 Thompson,AC556F, Colt 16's

Posted By: Kathy Poling (pm3.blackfoot.net)

Date: 7/14/04 17:53

In Response To: WTS: C&R M1 Thompson,AC556F, Colt 16's (Kathy Poling)

C&R M1 is SOLD....Kathy

Password:

I'm not trying to sound snide, but if you want a Tommy, you better belly up to the bar and pay the price!

I've been watching the price bitching now for six months, or longer. In that time, the too expensive M1s have increased 20-30%.

Folks, they aren't going to get any cheaper, sorry. I sold my M1 a while back and really regret the sale.

It went for $8k and I thought that was rediculous. Bigger fool me! Tody I'm looking for a replacement for under $12500 and will

have to take out a loan to buy it.

Ps. I also sold a Ferrari Dino just before the old man passed away. It doubled in the next six months. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Poprivit...

Given your market timing skills, PLEASE do not buy a Thompson! I'd hate to think how far the price might drop after you buy one. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

You can't pay too much, just too soon. Look what tube guns and registered sears are fetching. Last year I passed on $3,500.00 Uzi's. Now I Wish I had bought at least one. Two years ago I sold a Westy 28 for a friend. He wanted just over $6,000.00 and I found him a buyer. Now (2 years later) he is mad at me and I got him his asking price.