• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4365 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I just acquired an item that I'm pretty excited about adding to my collection. It's a vintage brass sign, as can be seen below. I love the "Bandit" reference...it hearkens to the fun Auto-Ordnance slogans of the 1920's.

I'm sure this sign was part of a larger scale installation of tear gas protection by Federal Laboratories, maybe in a bank, but I certainly don't have any specifics. Does anyone have any literature, or other information covering larger scale tear gas systems installed by Fed Labs?

Your thoughts are welcomed on this subject.

Posted Image

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#2 CPD1975

CPD1975

• Board Donor
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Great sign. Nice addition to your collecction.

#3 Chief762

Chief762

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Old Mustangs, single-cam Harleys, good Scotch whisky and US gold coins. Oh, and Thompsons.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Nice sign, David. In a similar vein, I have seen 1 or 2 old safes, maybe from the 30's of 40's that had vials of a liquid (purportedly a noxious gas) that would shatter if the door or wheel pack was attacked. On the front of the safe was the warning "Danger-Poison Gas". I guess it wouldn't pay to lose that combination. Any locksmiths out there seen anything similar?

#4 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4365 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Nice sign, David. In a similar vein, I have seen 1 or 2 old safes, maybe from the 30's of 40's that had vials of a liquid (purportedly a noxious gas) that would shatter if the door or wheel pack was attacked. On the front of the safe was the warning "Danger-Poison Gas". I guess it wouldn't pay to lose that combination. Any locksmiths out there seen anything similar?

Chief762,

Yes, I used to have 2 vault doors from the 1930's that had tear gas vials in them. They were in a removable box that slid in behind the combination dial and door opening lever. I ended up giving the doors away after holding onto them for 18 years, and I assume they are in use now, as that was the intent.

Very interestingly, this post has resulted in a lead from someone who read it...Their company just purchased a building where a utility company used to handle a lot of cash in the 1930's and 40's. They had a Fed Labs Tear Gas system installed. It's still in place, but was deactivated in 1945. So, I just received some images of the system, and will probably end up writing an article about it.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#5 nevadablue

nevadablue

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

David,

Here's the link to the thread at Weaponsguild. Hopefully we can get a template for this sign.

http://www.weaponsgu...p?topic=41624.0

Edited by nevadablue, 22 June 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#6 emmagee1917

emmagee1917

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1836 posts
  • Interests:All USGI WW2 firearms and acc.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

link is for thier members only.

Chris

#7 nevadablue

nevadablue

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Feel free to join us Chris, it is free and we love company. (and Thompsons and gas launchers and... )

Ken

#8 gunhistorian

gunhistorian

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:military small arms histories

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

David

While the testimony before the Senate subcommittee on Violence. . .etc, that I referred to in the gangster TSMG thread, this reference source being on hathitrust, has some good info on Federal Labs installations (banks, etc) but not specifically naming them.  Also, good info on the danger of the gases use by Federal.  Seems they used both tear gas and a vomiting gas!  Some banks refused to use the system because of injury or death resulting from the discharge of tear gas in confined spaces.  (It CAN be lethal!)  Just a bit more trivia for your files!  LOL  Oh!  The material is in Part 15.  This will come up as Part 15A, but do an search of this Part and you will find the material.  The actual part might be 15D.

#9 inertord

inertord

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

I just picked up one of these signs today still sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard. It appears that it hasn't seen any use.

Attached Files

#10 sherman3

sherman3

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:H&R Handy Guns, Flare/Gas launchers 20th century military items.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Very cool Frank.