U.S. NAVY Marked Model 65s

10XXX

I recently purchased a pair of identical Model 65s that are marked U.S. NAVY on the receiver about a inch in front of the serial numbers. I have found no documentation of such markings. The serial number of the first one is: 9787 and is all original. The second one is serial number 5739, it is all original except it has been drilled on top of the receiver for a scope mount. Has any of the members seen Model 65's marked this way? 10XXX.

I have looked at rifles below 6000 range and both of these rifles are exactly the same in all respects. Why would both of these rifles be stamped U.S. NAVY neatly in exactly the same spot on the left side of the receiver just above the stock line. I have been looking on the internet for 6 months and no one has mentioned a wartime 65 marked as such. I guess they may be Marine contract and were given to the Navy. I do now that the Navy stamped many rifles on the stock like the 03 Springfield. I do believe that the serial number range went above 10,000 for the Marine contract. It is a oddity, but there are a lot of undocumented things about Model 65 rifles. Thanks for the reply, I was hoping someone would. I have been a military gun collector for about 60 years. I also have a beautiful 1922 M-2 Springfield and other military .22s. Thanks again an looking for your reply. Regards 10XXX.

The was a fun shop in California that would stamp military firearms to get more money for them. He sold stuff in Shotgun News. Lots of "altered" firearms out there as a result. Some never knew they had a fake. If the Navy did buy any of these there would be more information out there. Everything so far indicates it was a Marine contract only

the Navy already had the bolt action 22's like the Mossberg 44US.

I believe you are right that both were altered. In fact the dealer I purchased both from wanted a premium for them because of the stamping. Well anyway the SN 5739 with the scope mounts will be my shooter. and the SN 9787 I will keep in my collection as it is about 98% and has never been altered, really a nice rifle. I should have done more research before buying them. This is the first time in 60 years of collecting that I have been stung, I guess that's life. Thanks for the reply and info. 10XXX.

The was a fun shop in California that would stamp military firearms to get more money for them. He sold stuff in Shotgun News. Lots of "altered" firearms out there as a result. Some never knew they had a fake. If the Navy did buy any of these there would be more information out there. Everything so far indicates it was a Marine contract only

the Navy already had the bolt action 22's like the Mossberg 44US.

He pulled a lot of garbage with M1911s and A1s. Sadly the legacy lives,

Keith

If you enlarge the pictures you can see that one of them has a nice crisp stamp and the other is lightly stamped. I believe you are right. Well anyway both are excellent shooters. I took the scoped one to the range today and zeroed it for a hundred yards. Fired a ten shot group that was all in the X and 10 ring on a 50 yard pistol target. Hope to find more variations of the Reisings. Regard's , 10XXX.