21/28 Overstamp Selling Prices? C/t

Assume the gun has all correct Colt parts, 95% condition, good bore, wood in good shape, correct stock, midrange S/N#. No mags, drum, no special history, etc. What's a reasonable price range for these to sell in?

Jim,

Since they don't sell complete Colt Thompson's on ebay that is a rather peculiar remark.

Jerry,

If it has the two-piece actuator, and if you mean by 95% condition that it maintains significant original bluing and original barrel, then easily $18,500 without any extras. They are being sold by Class III delaers for $22,500 without any extras.

Jim has always been a bit behind the times on the prices, but Aurthr, you are smoking crack.

15 to 17 MAX for selling prices.

Asking prices are WAY higher in the world of NFA on higher end stuff than selling prices.

You have to be in the 98-99% rating to get over 20K these days.

Verify at least 5 sales in the last year if you want to dispute me, or keep your trap shut.

HEARING what something sold for and seeing the transaction take place, or being able to verify it actually are two different things.

Jr

I have been keeping track of both asking prices and sales of Colt Thompsons for about a year now. I am not aware of any sales of Navies in the $22,50 range. Yes there are asking prices that high but no dealers are moving guns at that price. Agian the lowest prices are non internet sales from individuals. If you want the most for the gun then the internet is the best way to go. I think $15,000-$19,000 is about right for a gun you just descibed and you want it to sell within a reasonable time. Just my humble opinion. Rob

John,

How many "true" 98%/99% Colt TSMG's do you think actually exist in this country? I have personally seen guns that were advertised as being of such quality and they are rougher than Joan River's face. Since an owner's proclivity for hyperbole is a factor in their descriptions of their TSMG's, it is fair to estimate that if one can locate an original finish 92% to 96% Colt, it reaches the zenith of availability.

Your point about the disparity between asking and selling prices is why I mentioned that NFA dealer’s “asking price” of $22,500 for these 28N's. They are not dropping their pants by $8 grand in order to move the merchandise, unless the gun is made up of military parts. The dealers account for the majority of NFA sales, even if it is merely a broker operating as the intermediary between private party and buyer. We already know that J. Curits Earl did not accept offers. You either paid his freight or hit the road. Private party owners may or may not be more motivated to sell, but that does not mean they can’t wait to sell below market value unless they are desperate. How many NFA owners are desperate for money anyway?

So by your appraisal of what the best Colt's sell for, Savage TSMG's sellers must be closing deals under $10K and West Huley's under $6k.

Is there a published periodical that lists actual selling prices of Colt TSMG's I am not aware of? Since that figure is between the buyer and seller, I would think it rather difficult to relate what the end price was unless you witnessed the buyer writing the check.

These five sales that you base your figures on, are those five Colt's you purchased in the last year? If so I congratulate you on your swelling collection of bargain bought Colt's. But if it were based on chatter from your buddies, I would say your trap is shut around the crack pipe.

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Aug 10 2003, 04:59 PM)
im,
Since they don't sell complete Colt Thompson's on ebay that is a rather peculiar remark.

The E-Bay comment was because items on E-Bay tend to sell for a price that is significantly higher than market price. Ok, so maybe I should have used GunBroker instead of E-Bay in the comment as you tend to get people selling overpriced items there as well.

Aurther, your such a Colt whore!

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif