WTS - WWII Vet Bringback 1928-A1

With David's permission...It is time to find a new caretaker for this vet bringback 1928-A1. It was sold by the vet to his local sheriff in the 1960's, and the sheriff registered it during the 1968 amnesty. I have a copy of that registration. It was then sold to another local collector and then to me.

The receiver was painted black during its life in the military, and the trigger frame (AO-98905) does not match the receiver (S-482304), which was common with military guns. The most interesting part of the gun is the jury-rigged foregrip mount, which has been staked into place. Apparently, the armorer who repaired the gun did not have a replacement foregrip mount, so he fashioned his own. Because the mount was not as strong as the original, the armorer added the foregrip reinforcing band that was created to address the weakness of the riveted foregrip mounts. The barrel has obviously been removed and replaced, so the index line does not line up. The barrel is made by Stevens.

Asking $25,000 for the gun. It is on a Form 4 in Ohio.

Please PM me if you have questions or want additional pictures.

Roger

IMG_0054-1.jpg IMG_0058-1.jpg IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0070-1.jpg

Everyone,

I am open to comments about this gun. Frankly, I am surprised that it took a week for anyone to post to this thread. I will not be offended if someone thinks the price is wrong or there are concerns.

Additional pics were requested of the left side of the receiver. See below. Even though the gun was painted black, typical of British firearms, I cannot find any British proofs on the gun.

P7300212.JPG P7300213.JPG

Magazine_L,

The rear grip does have nice color and grain, but it is Savage, stamped with their S. The horizontal foregrip is stamped M, for Strombeck-Becker.

Roger

Edited by TSMG28

Everyone,

I am open to comments about this gun. Frankly, I am surprised that it took a week for anyone to post to this thread. I will not be offended if someone thinks the price is wrong or there are concerns.

Additional pics were requested of the left side of the receiver. See below. Even though the gun was painted black, typical of British firearms, I cannot find any British proofs on the gun.

attachicon.gif P7300212.JPG attachicon.gif P7300213.JPG

Magazine_L,

The rear grip does have nice color and grain, but it is Savage, stamped with their S. The horizontal foregrip is stamped M, for Strombeck-Becker.

Roger

It's extremely nice grain. I never seen before such grips on 1928A1

Nice gun. This one would be a great candidate for some minor smithing work to put a proper grip mount back on. It's a proper war-horse. Good luck with the sale!

Edited by R67

R67,

Thanks for your comment. I considered replacing the grip mount, but I chose to leave it because that was part of the history of this gun. The next owner can decide that for themselves.

I agree - this is a nice gun. You have the paper trail showing its history

as a bring back. Most guns like this have been refinished, reworked, etc. over

the last 75 years. If we could time travel back to a WW2 battlefield this is

what we would see - not a safe queen. I would assume that someday someone

will buy it and fuss with it to make it "perfect" and then it will no longer be original.

And there is certainly something to say for original.

Bob

It's the guns with some salt/history to them that really catch my eye. This gun has a great look.