I would like to trade a SMG Cutts Compensator for a Thompson sling

I do not agree. A form6 would be granted to import the compensator. And if the stated value were less than $100 a form6 could be skipped. I can not imagine that the state department or the US would fuss over sling?

Import is not restricted into the US of such a part as noted above. In reality, most MG parts can be imported with the exception that receivers must be destroyed to import specs and "non-sporting" barrels must also be destroyed, with a closely monitored exception for certain "replacement parts"barrels.
The compensator can easily be imported.

The draconian restrictions apply to export of MG and MG related parts as far as US regulation, but a sling is not restricted in any way.

FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

Import is not restricted into the US of such a part as noted above. In reality, most MG parts can be imported with the exception that receivers must be destroyed to import specs and "non-sporting" barrels must also be destroyed, with a closely monitored exception for certain "replacement parts"barrels.

The compensator can easily be imported.

The draconian restrictions apply to export of MG and MG related parts as far as US regulation, but a sling is not restricted in any way.

FWIW

Is the import of belt feed devices generally allowed just like most other MG parts? I have heard conflicting stories. In Europe the ownership of such a thing is generally not regulated, so far as I can tell.

Looks nice.

Thanks to the UN-trade-in-arms-treaty, neither one can legally cross the Atlantic. Good luck....Phil

^^^^ Not true. ^^^^

U.S. importation for an item like this is completely legal but can take QUITE A WHILE to happen. Like mentioned above, if valued at less than $100, no U.S. importation permit is needed. The ATF Form 6 can be filed electronically and can sometimes be approved in a week or less.

I was under the impression that machine gun parts are prohibited but "accessories" were allowed, including mags, drums, slings, etc.

But then, I'm not an arms treaty expert, nor do I play one on TV....

"Where my K98 stock from Europe went"

"Including"...but not limited-to...

There's more to it. I guess it was open to...interpretation.

Can mere mortals obtain a "Form-6"?....Phil

1.4 Parts and components Under Article 4 of the ATT, States Parties must regulate the export of parts and components that can provide the [capability to assemble] the conventional arms included in the scope of the ATT. The ATT does not provide a definition of parts and components. However, Article 3 of the Firearms Protocol does: “’Parts and components’ shall mean any element or replacement element specifically designed for a firearm and essential to its operation, including a barrel, frame or receiver, slide or cylinder, bolt or breech block, and any device designed or adapted to diminish the sound caused by firing a firearm.”

pm me I have a reproduction sling that I don't use. I get slings and other accessories from overseas all the time. just got an original rear sight for my m1 carbine from france. and ive bought a couple of the front clamps for my m1thompson from Holland. the part name escapes me but it goes around the wood and barrel to take the strain off the grip rest.