Phila Ordnance Full Auto Blank Gun Revisited

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

Attached File  show.JPG   189.11K   81 downloads

No issues with quality on mine -I love it !

#42 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2524 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

Bob,

Any word from ATF Tech. Branch on change to .45ACP-Blanks from the current required blanks (?).

I would really like to pick up one of these uppers........after the change to use standard .45ACP-Blanks. Keep me on the list till then.

Regards,  RichardS

US  Army,  RET

I wouldn't get too hung up on using "standard" blanks, or be especially concerned about the availability of PO blanks in the future. Bob of PO has proven to be in this for the long haul. The price for his blanks in in line with those from Atlantic Wall and other places. I have little doubt that if Bob no longer produced his blanks, someone else would.

You get the same sound and a nice flash from Bob's blanks, but while using much less powder. That means lower operating temperatures, and little or no erosion. Bob has stated that it was harder to get the blanks right than the guns. He definitely got both right. I couldn't be more pleased with my PO M1A1 blank gun.

All of that said, I think Bob's decision to produce blank Thompsons that use "standard" .45 blanks was not a good one. He was by himself in making complete, high quality blank guns. Part of owning one is the need to use PO's arguably better proprietary blanks. People would have come around to that idea, and come to embrace it after seeing and owning PO blank Thompsons. Bob had the chance to define the market. As the numbers of these guns went up, so probably would the likelihood of the blanks always being available. Now, PO blanks will compete with "standard" blanks within Bob's own product line. New blank gun buyers will see that word "standard" and buy based on it alone.

When I bought my PO M1A1, I was pretty sure it would never become an orphan, for which blanks were not available. Now, I'm not so sure, and so cancelled my order for one of the new PO blank M1928A1s.      

#43 R67

R67

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Great guns. The blanks are very expensive, however. I understand why they cost so much. This puts a damper on the whole project, however. Especially if the blanks are not available one day. 

#44 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2510 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

An update on all this. When I designed the gun, guided by personal meetings with ATF, I came

away with the opinion that the gun must not be able to chamber and fire "standard" ammunition. Also

at the time (4-5 years ago) there was no non-firearm full auto blank gun made that used a standard sized blank.

I designed the gun for ammo with a reduced rim diameter so that if someone attempted to use

standard ammo the base of the cartridge would not fit in the bolt face and the cartridge would not fire.

This is the design that was approved by ATF.

Since that time another manufacturer has had a gun approved which

uses standard size .45 blanks. I am in the process of petitioning the ATF to get approval for the Phila Ord

gun to use standard blanks. When the ATF approves the new design I will switch over to standard

sized blanks. Anyone with an existing gun who desires to do so will be able to buy a new bolt to enable

them to use standard sized blanks.

BUT - the two main manufacturers of blanks - Atlantic Wall and Swanson - make blanks that are far

more powerful that the Phila Ord blanks, and i do not yet know what size adaptor would be required to

fire those blanks safely. Just a reminder - even though the Phila Ord blanks use less powder they have

the identical report (123 Db) as standard .45 ammo.

The Phila Ord blank was designed specifically for the gun. The gun has the three hole bore which

results in less bore volume which requires less powder. When you open a Swanson or Atlantic Wall

blank it appears that the case is filled with as much powder as it will hold, whereas in a Phila Ord blank

the case is less that 1/2 full of powder.

I will post here when I get the word from ATF.

Bob/Phila Ord

#45 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

Will you keep making your type blanks if ATF approves standard ones for your gun ?  I like yours just fine.

Edited by anticus, 14 December 2018 - 05:44 PM.

#46 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2510 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:25 PM

Yes we will keep making blanks.

Bob

#47 Blanksguy

Blanksguy

• Regular Group
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

Bob,

Please keep me on your list of people wanting a complete 1928A1 upper with original Lyman adjustable rear-sight...…...when the ATF change for use to allow standard .45-ACP Blanks is approved.

Regards,  RichardS

US  Army,  RET

Blanksguy2001@outlook.com

#48 The_Ugly

The_Ugly

• Regular Group
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

Outstanding products!

Is this remaked original Tommy for blank ammo?

#49 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

No. Bob can elaborate, but this is a brand new receiver and internals designed from the ground up to fire only blanks. It takes original parts like the trigger frame and foregrip. 

#50 The_Ugly

The_Ugly

• Regular Group
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Receiver looks like just original except markings.

#51 Roland the Thompsongunner

Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:I am into motorcycles both dirt and street. Musclecars, and WWII reenacting and weapons.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

These blank guns are super nice and work well. They are great for diplay and living history events and fill a void in a collection without spending 25k. Awesome for reenacments or even just to give the feel of firing a full auto gun.

#52 Svt40

Svt40

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone tried making their own blanks?  Would be nice to be able to make our own.  All I can think is $15 a mag when I pull the trigger.

#53 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Do you think it would really be cheaper ? I do reloading for my old oddball calibers cuz you have to roll your own, but for common modern rounds, eh. Factory works for me. I suspect it would be the same for blanks. Are they harder to make than a ball round ? Where would you get dies ?

#54 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3031 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

And where would you get the powder??

Jim C

#55 95mustang

95mustang

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:35 AM

There is a lot of you tube videos out there in interweb land....that show / instruct how to make 45 acp blanks.
And red dot seems to be the powder choice

Looks to be time consuming the first time around , making the brass from a 308 case.
Second time reloading mAy be quiicker.
I've never tried it so no experience

Edited by 95mustang, 24 February 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#56 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2524 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

Receiver looks like just original except markings.

That's the impression you get when handling and firing one of Bob's blank guns. All steel and walnut, and quality all the way.

Personally, I like the PO blanks. You get all of the sound and flash you could want, while knowing you're not eroding the barrel. 

#57 Svt40

Svt40

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

There is a lot of you tube videos out there in interweb land....that show / instruct how to make 45 acp blanks.
And red dot seems to be the powder choice

Looks to be time consuming the first time around , making the brass from a 308 case.
Second time reloading mAy be quiicker.
I've never tried it so no experience

Yea I just remember helping a friend make blanks for his STG44.  Was quick and simple once you got it all set up.  We also made .45acp blanks back then out of 30.06 cases.  But then again blanks back then were .10 cents a round and were very affordable.  If making my own blanks would get me down to 25 cents a round I'd consider it worthwhile.

#58 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1921 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

I've made .45 acp blanks... but its been a few years.   I found the crimp dies somewhere on line, and have used both starline blank brass, and 308 cases cut down.  Starline at that time made me order several thousand cases...  no smaller sale.   Just looked at starlines page and they don't list them for sale.

#59 Svt40

Svt40

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

I've made .45 acp blanks... but its been a few years.   I found the crimp dies somewhere on line, and have used both starline blank brass, and 308 cases cut down.  Starline at that time made me order several thousand cases...  no smaller sale.   Just looked at starlines page and they don't list them for sale.

I think Starline is where PhilOrd gets the brass for their blanks.  I doubt they'd sell the correct brass to anyone other than PhilOrd though.

#60 Blanksguy

Blanksguy

• Regular Group
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Bob,

Any "up-date" to BATF Tech. Branch allowing the change to "standard" .45ACP Blanks for use in your 1928A1 or M1A1 Thompson Blank-Firing non-guns (?).

Regards,  RichardS

US  Army,  RET

Blanksguy2001@outlook.com