22 Conversion Kits

You have to define business. Ceiner lately has had a table at Knob Creek dressed in his Halloween type uniform but he is impossible to get on the phone or email. Some his stuff requires prepayment and based on his reputation....GOOD LUCK .....Ironically at Knob Creek he has alot of kits and mags that are listed as out of stock on his web site? i brought a 22 kit he made for my AC556 that is junk and after he inspected the parts (one minute) he concluded that i was using the wrong ammo? When i asked what he prefers he said "try a bunch and tell me"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a new Ciener 22LR kit for my AC556. Just now had a chance to install and take it out for a test spin. Ran like a top once I oiled the crap it of it. Will see if I can get a lower powered or replacement spring from him to get subsonic ammo to cycle. The current setup will eject the case but not retract far enough to pick up a fresh round.

You have to define business. Ceiner lately has had a table at Knob Creek dressed in his Halloween type uniform but he is impossible to get on the phone or email. Some his stuff requires prepayment and based on his reputation....GOOD LUCK .....Ironically at Knob Creek he has alot of kits and mags that are listed as out of stock on his web site? i brought a 22 kit he made for my AC556 that is junk and after he inspected the parts (one minute) he concluded that i was using the wrong ammo? When i asked what he prefers he said "try a bunch and tell me"

He certainly is a "piece of work". Just wondered if he was still around. Anyone decked him at the Creek lately?

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Old thread but a good thread. A few things I've learned running the 22RF Thompson over the last 8 years or so. I put 5K-10K rounds a year through 2 different kits. That would put at least 40k rounds through each kit.

1.) I had some runaway problems a year or two back. The problem that started in my M1 kit spread to my '28 kit. In the end the steel plate on the bottom of the bolt with the sear surface had rounded from sear contact. I set it up in the Bridgeport and took only about .015" off to clean-up the face and all runaway problems went away. IIRC, this is 4140HT at about a Rc 30. Just guessing on the material and HT. My parts could stand to be a bit harder but what do I want to wear? The 22 kit or the Thompson sear.

2.) BDM Plastic mags do not have an infinite life. I watch the height of the rounds in the feed lips as well as the resting angle of the cartridge. If the cartridge is pointing up much or noticeably higher in the lips, reliability suffers. At about $14/magazine, no complaints. I've only worn out 4 of the BDM mags so far. About 1/2 the shooting is with BDM magazines.

3.) Mags and bullet lube. The 22RF being externally lubed can be a problem with the wax build-up in the magazine. Some 22RF like the Federal Bulk doesn't seem to foul the mags very quickly. CCI Blazer and Aguila Super Extras seem to leave more lube. Best cleaning is done by taking the mags apart. While I know I shouldn't, I'm testing 2 magazines cleaning them with a tight fitting button, cotton patch, and WD-40. It is obvious when cleaning the mags while they are apart that mild detergent works. WD-40 wipes them clean instantly. Polycaronate (sp) and WD-40 may not mix. Time will tell.

4.) Clean the barrel nut from time to time. Merle indicated in conversations that he keeps a drill or reamer handy to scrape the crud out of the nut. I don't know what it would do if you didn't but it doesn't look good.

Just some thoughts,

Enjoy,

Grasshopper