Serial Numbers And Stocks

Guys, I need some info.

Can anyone tell me if the stocks on 1921 Thompsons were intended to match the gun's serial number? While cleaning a couple 21's that had been sitting for several years I discovered the matching numbers stamped on the stock and on the inside of the buttplate weren't even close to either gun's serial number. In checking one of the stock serial number in Tracie's book it showed that "gun" had been sent back to Philadelphia Ordinance from Haiti for conversion to the 1928 model. I know neither of the guns ever left the U.S.

I know the stocks were contracted out and handfitted to individual buttplates; hence the matching numbers. Were they later matched up at Colt or merely placed into inventory there and put onto guns on an "as needed" basis? I know someone on here (probably several) will know the answer to this one.

Thanks in advance !!

Chuck

Arthur,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought that matching guns and stocks would be a daunting task even today. At one point I had three frames, receivers and buttstocks apart and got confused at to which stock went with which gun. Yeah I know, one hellava delimma to be in !! The recievers and frames were easy both being serial numbered but the stocks were another story. Thanks again !

One more question. I did discover that one of the 21 frames would not fit on any of the other guns (21, 28A1 and a WH 28) Were tolerances that close? Also, the 28 WH frame would only fit on the 28A1. That rather surprised me since the WH frame is original Savage. Any ideas?

Chuck

Chuck,

I think Dan's experience with duplicating Colt/Remington wood is significant since the very early Colt 21A's had slightly shorter rear grips. As far as the interchangeability of frames between Colt, Savage, & West Hurley, I would say that you have more hands on experience with that than I do. Everyone should be faced with a predicament of having several Thompsons' in their collection and the chance to mix up the parts....Just to clarify, you say that a Colt 21 frame would not fit another Colt 21 receiver? What are the serial numbers involved? The West Hurley Thompson with the Savage frame did not fit the Colt receiver or the Savage receiver, but the Savage frame does fit the Colt receiver?

I can't remember where I read it but the serial numbers on the wood were to match the butplates up with the butstocks after finishing as the butstocks were sanded right down to the butplates. I have to agree with Mr. Flienheimer, I'd love to be in that perdickament where I have so many Tommys as to have parts to mix up.

bb

Arthur,

Yes, you pretty much have a handle on the frame situation. The 21 that wouldn't fit anything but it's receiver was too narrow to have the rearmost section of the other receivers fit inside the grooves. The 28 Savage and the other 21 Colt would fit all four receivers. The WH 28 frame would slide on to varying points on all receivers but became too tight well before locking up. I will admit the WH fit between frame and reciever is the tightest of all. Serial numbers on the 21's are in the 2000 and 4000 range and none show any damage to the rails/grooves.

Dan, as far as the grips go I haven't tried interchanging them. All of the buttstocks interchange.........and because of that , that's where this thread started. I just need a non-crossbolt for the WH but that would make it worse.

The "predicament" I am in is short lived unfortuantely, but I have plans to attempt to make it more permanant. If it works out, I'll let you know. Thanks to all for the imput.

Chuck