M1 collectablility

Hello Forum,
New member here. I am about to take the plunge and buy my first machine gun, and I have decided to go with the Thompson. I have a opportunity to pick up an M1 Thompson, in pretty good shape. I have to admit, I am leaning towards the M1A1, but I have read that the M1 was only made for a short period of time before the change over to the M1A1. My question is, does this effect the value of the M1 over the M1A1?
Thanks,
Mark

Edited by Rabbit57

IMHO, any M1 or M1A1 that saw service has the value tied to the specific period of time, WW2.

I own one Thompson, an M1A1. The only difference is the fixed firing pin vs. traditional style.

The fact the Thompson I have saw service against the Nazis or the Japs has an intrinsic value hard to quantify.

I would say condition will have more of an impact than model. Most would want an M1 bolt with hammer and firing pin for shooting, although an M1A1 with fixed pin is perfectly functional and robust, just some slight concerns with the fixed pin.

I dont believe one would say there is a difference in value one over the other, all things being equal. You will pay more for an M1 bolt and they are a bit more scarce, but not rare.

For me, Id strive for the best condition you can buy. Good luck on the search. Feel free to post examples for opinions or questions. Purchase some books and read up on the subject as knowledge is the most powerful tool for making a good purchase

Ron

To expand upon Ron_Brocks post since youre new to Thompsons. The M1 was issued with an actuating firing pin in the bolt. A hammer actuates the firing pin only when the bolt has traveled 100% forward. The M1A1 was issued with a simple fixed firing pin on the front of the bolt that does not require a hammer.

The safety concern is that if your chamber gets dirty (for a multitude of reasons) and an unfired cartridge becomes lodged without being completely insert into the chamber, it is possible for the M1A1 bolt to ignite the cartridge without it being fully seated in the chamber resulting in an out of battery ignition. Since the case is not supported by the chamber, an out of battery ignition results in the case being blown out in small pieces of brass shrapnel from the ejection port and possibly into the users face and eyes. This can result in either a bad day at the range or a trip to the emergency room depending upon your luck.

You can run an M1 bolt in an M1A1 without any issues and I believe this is what most Thompson shooters do for safety purpose.

Edited by imageaudio

Thanks for the information guys, I will keep you posted on how this plays out. If I don't find a nice gun before this coming December, I plan to attend the SAR show in Phoenix. I have to be honest, I have never even held a Thompson much less fired one. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and I bet i can look at a few examples at the SAR show.
Mark

In regards to the fix firing pin/ out of battery issue. I dont believe that this issue is related only to an M1/M1A1 with a fix firing pin bolt. It is possible for any firearm that fires from an open bolt with a fixed pin to experience an out of battery detonation. I can think of a bunch of semi/ full Guns that this could be a problem with. For example, Macs, Stens, MK760,S&W76, UZIs, Sterlings, etc.... I think the key here is proper firearm maintenance and shooting quality ammunition. It also doesnt hurt to look at your fire cases after you police them. I would not let this issue be a key factor in your purchase decision. I own an early M1 and run an M1A1 bolt. I have an M1 bolt for the gun but choose to save it due to its scarcity. I personally like to shoot the M1 over the 1928 due to its simplicity and ease of cleaning. My wife says thats blasphemy. Haha. I also own and shoot an MK 760. My 2 cents for what they are worth.

Thanks for the information guys, I will keep you posted on how this plays out. If I don't find a nice gun before this coming December, I plan to attend the SAR show in Phoenix. I have to be honest, I have never even held a Thompson much less fired one. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and I bet i can look at a few examples at the SAR show.

Mark

I'm in the far East Valley. You are welcome to meet me at the range and hold mine sometime.

Be warned; once you hold it you will not be able to live without one... :)

Edited by Rimcrew