It's A New Track Record

I saw one last year that ended up going for $130. Yikes!

I paid $33 for one earlier this year, and $10 for one about 12 years ago.

David Albert

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/Thompson%20Catalogs/1936_Catalog_Nassau_Broadway_BusCard-Final-Web2.jpg

Well. if P.T. Barnum didn't say it. then I heard it somewhere else....

Stupid people shouldn't have money. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif

Darwin should have been an Investment Advisor....

john

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Dec 15 2005, 12:55 AM)
This is utterly, totally nuts!  $135.83 plus $4.00 shipping = about $140.  Do these people have corn flakes for brains or what?

I've got one of those, original, unissued, 100% perfect, perfect bluing, kept folded with a band around it in my Thompson case since I bought it NOS from George Numrich in 1968.  Didn't need it, but thought I oughta have one for Tommy.  Mine never got the mildew proofing stamp.

Cost: $1.00

Oh yes, he had unissued finned barrels, either for Cutts or just front sight.  Same price either way: $27.50.

If you wanted to save some money, you could buy the smooth barrel for $10.95 either way also.

For the big time spenders, a new Browning .50 barrel was $37.50 (about same price as a new Ruger .22 semiauto pistol, I believe).

For those on a really tight budget, playing with cheap stuff like Greaseguns, a new barrel without the muzzle nut was $6.95.

I cry myself to sleep reading these old price sheets...from which I did order a few things, thank heaven.

Where, oh where, have the good times gone? 

I don't even want to think about the cheap tin Altoid box which, complete with all the correct NOS contents, was $13.50.  Didn't need one, so didn't buy one.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Oh, you guys will like this.  Remember that Numrich was the primary repair center for Police Depts' Thompsons?  For that work he levied a flat service charge of "$3.50 per gun, plus cost of parts required.  All repaired guns are returned Express Charges Collect."  I.e., send your finned '28 and he would put a new barrel on for a total of $31, whether or not he also had to switch a compensator.

Respected Ron,

What do you think about the $140 war surplus sling?  Do you yet have an upgrade term to replace "Thompson Greed"?  Might it be a mental health term of art?

phil lately i don't understand any of it.have we all gone daft.and feel when all this sell's or try's to sell. we feel so much better about ourselve's?? and the item's we have might even be better then gold and life itself...

little clue, what would happen overnight if the gov.did not allow it....then do all these nutcase's jump off the empire state.seeing all this cash go down the drain...

i think i'm going to buy another mp-40..until they go out of sight...then whatever after that..this way i will have a long way to go...till they catch up... oh!freak! i did that already.....well back to the sling thing..maybe a original fg-42 sling is worth that now...a thompson. ha! they had new in box one's at s.a.r.for $60.00 and i figured that was high........considering they made a million plus of them...plus more after the war for inventory.

i guess some will never learn...a real fool and his real money are soon parted real quick! wink!

now if i can just get around 1 million for that nice thompson..used in king kong only once. then dropped. in dirt..

take care,ron

....OOOPS! Ya'll spoke too soon:

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/sales/salec...g.pl?read=10323

Looks like slings are NOW worth $150.00. (and THAT is only an M3 sling!)

I LMAO when I see people who watch these auctions or the FS boards and take that as the jumping off point for "this weeks new price", same like the imbicilic questions I see constantly posted all the time on Subguns or Sturm "...what is today's price for XXX gun?"

Phil, Ron and the rest of you that are so old that 1968 seems like yesterday:

IT'S ALMOST 2006. ALMOST 38 YEARS HAVE PAST since you could have bought that sling for $1.00 from George Numrich.

Get over it already with the moaning over "greed". First year economics taught me that fixed supply and growing demand, (thanks largely in part to the Internet), will cause significant increases in prices over time.

I have nothing that I am selling and only make the comment because I've grown weary of seeing the bitching over and over again. It's damn near as old as you are so give it a break.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled broacast...................

QUOTE (GonePostal @ Dec 15 2005, 10:30 AM)
Phil, Ron and the rest of you that are so old that 1968 seems like yesterday:

IT'S ALMOST 2006. ALMOST 38 YEARS HAVE PAST since you could have bought that sling for $1.00 from George Numrich.

Get over it already with the moaning over "greed".  First year economics taught me that fixed supply and growing demand, (thanks largely in part to the Internet), will cause significant increases in prices over time.

I have nothing that I am selling and only make the comment because I've grown weary of seeing the bitching over and over again. It's damn near as old as you are so give it a break.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled broacast...................

+1 fer sure! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/iagree.gif

Yeah, when that sling was a buck I was making a whole $1.25 an hour..... Gas was 29 cents a gallon and a "big", 12 ounces, soda pop was 12 cents..... It's all relative folks....... Gunshow table rent was five bucks and surplus rifles stuffed in the big barrel down at PayLess drug was your choice for $15.00...............

Yes.. maybe .. but a sling is still "just a sling"..and no sling is worth $135.00 to $150.00. ( unless it is Georgie Patton's). The thing is the way that these slings are being sold at such foolishly inflated prices.

Hell I was just looking on there and there is suddenly a whole bunch of "Rare" WWII Khaki M1 Garand slings hitting the market ranging from $15.00 up to a "Buy it now" of $45.00. Listed as WWII and rare.. but no markings..except for a few initials ( "what appears to be FKI printed on it in black ink".) for "Buy it Now" for $45.00 Hmmm.. but one dealer is at least honest..(Here is a WWII Type Desert Khaki Tan Garand Web Sling. It has the Flat keeper and is marked FKF which is Danish issue") for sale at $5.15

Let's just say that I don't mind hearing about the "Good ol' Days"... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Dec 15 2005, 12:53 PM)
Yes.. maybe .. but a sling is still "just a sling"..and no sling is worth $135.00 to $150.00. ( unless it is Georgie Patton's). The thing is the way that these slings are being sold at such foolishly inflated prices.

That is just it! A sling isn't just a sling.... Unlike the wood stocks and such these NoBuckle slings do not seem to be available in large numbers so that they can be sold all you want for 10 bucks a piece.... Heck how much do they get for the repros?

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Dec 15 2005, 11:13 AM)
Well, Mr. Postal, it isn't "bitching", if I understand the term correctly.  I'm also getting "weary" of seeing that word dredged up by some (expletive deleted) hole every time one of us reflects on the wild and irrational price goings on in Thompsonland. It seems that this is a disparaging word regularly used as a weapon, in a juvenile attempt by somebody who doesn't have anything intelligent to say, but would like to give it a try anyhow. "Get over it" is often thrown in for good measure.  Then of course there's the "I've grown weary" and "give it a break"...all sort of meaningless bafflegab filler from people who can ill afford to spare any of it from between their ears.

Very lilttle of this pricing phenomenon has much to do with conventional economics, to which you allege you were briefly exposed.  It's more closely related to the successful practicing of flim flam in a new Internet environment, and the declining level of judgement within our population (You already know about that.).

Anyhow, you make some interesting and inscrutable points...I guess.  http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

And oh yes, once again I think we all want to compliment you for your stellar judgement in choosing such a thought provoking and diplomatic pen name for use on this particular board.  I'm sure Chuck Schumer would join me in saying that.

It's bitching just the same.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch#Variants

From this usage of bitch as "complain", the colloquial noun bitch-fest evolved, to describe people complaining about something together. Used in its verb form, to bitch is considered significantly less offensive than the noun bitch. It is not uncommon for people to say that they are "bitching" about something, whereas it is less common for someone to call herself a "bitch." Although "to bitch" may maintain some of its feminine specificity, men are also commonly said to be "bitching."

Whether you're in denial and don't care to admit it or not is nobody's business but your own.

As for the other euphemisms, they are as spot on as they could be considering the rants we consistently see about "gouging" and "greed" etc. And yes, you truly need to get over your angst, stop living in the past and realize this is not yesteryear as far as pricing goes.

While I don't necessarily agree with pricing a pathetic sling at $130 or so, it's not relevant to my post. It was, rather, specific to the constant whining and puling over prices and how so and so is crazy for asking what they are asking etc. Take Mike for instance - he would love to have everyone believe that he's "in it" for every reason except money but yet if someone were to call him based on his website's comment that he's "looking for such and such Thompson related item", he'd no doubt not want to pay current asking or market prices. By the same token, most on this board would, if they could, want to make a premium on whatever it is they had that they wanted to sell.

Conventional economics or not, the current NFA situation is the way it is because of fixed supply and growing demand. More people than ever are now either aware or becoming aware of the fact that they can own a transferrable without having to have a "class three license" or give up their "rights" as well as all the old time myths that have surrounded this particular genre for so long. As these people jump into the game with $ to spend, the prices go up. As dealers get squeezed by lack of sales volumes (not many dealers do enough individual transfers to really make a living) they compensate by increasing their margins on the average sale. An example of this is the pair of Madsens that were sold recently to Lomont as a movie left and right pair. I saw them 4 months ago selling for 12.5k for the package and no doubt Lomont bought them a tad cheaper. Now he's got an ad out for the package along with *GASP* a rare VHS copy of the movie with Darren McGavin in it for the princely sum of $19.5k. Seems high yes? Right. Some newbie bit by the bug with lots of disposable cash will eventually buy them if they've not been sold already.

Dealers in general are really feeling the pinch of the Internet since all these discussion and message boards now make it simple for the average Joe to sell his or her weapon without having to use a dealer as a middle man or broker. Each sale sees at the very least a bump up of the cost of a transfer tax if not more because of the demand cycle. Consequently, most accessories are now seeing a jump as well because of the post sale demand from people wanting to get all the additional toys to go with the gun they now have to wait 3-4 months for.

I tell ya what. I've got some cash right here, right now if any one of you "not in it for the money" collectors want to sell me that WH you've got stashed for 10k or that spare Colt 21 AC for 20k. Any takers? How about an original mustard colored sling for my Reising? Sell me one for $20 ok? Riiiiiiiiiight. Thought so.

As for my moniker, it's not one of my choosing but rather one christened to me by friends. Whether you think it "appropriate" or not doesn't concern me in the slightest. That said, I could give a rats ass what Chuckie baby would think of it or anyone else for that matter.

I guess my comments were spot on because otherwise you've not reacted so adversely.

So all this said, it's a SELLERS MARKET at the moment. We may not like it but it's not going to change just because we disagree with the prices being asked.

Gone Postal

gone postal your post and mine will get us a coffee at krispy kreme,{maybe}it's all fun,and you should be glad you have all these old fart's to have around when they die off how in the heck do you think you're gonna get the new gun's to sell... everything we own or just about belonged to someone else already...

old blood's die off and hopefully new bloods take over..and i did have a m1a1 wes-hurlee on the boards here for sale..it did not move so recon ord bought it for $10,000.00........just a mere few week's ago...

this game is supposed to be fun....and when you get 35 year's under the belt of dealing class three...you can beeeeetch like phil!! wink! also..or talk to the grankid's about how gas was $3.00 a gallon.and thompson slings a "deal" at $100.00 and how the old humvee was only $65,000.00 and the house was only $300,000.00 or like people are trying to sell on the east coast..and thompson's maybe only $30,000.00..............do people really think they will be $250,000.00 each in ten year's???

i can figure it all out based on economy,home sale's inflation,oil price's,unemploment rate.the stock market plunge weekly, and the price of coffee...but why bore the board here with scthick...as steve allen used to say> smock,smock! have fun with all of it and enjoy what you have....for in a instant it all can be gone....

take care, ron

Man, You guys will probably hate me for this, but I sell a lot of NOS Ford parts on ebay and I get ungodly gobbs of money for this stuff. I just sold a carb return spring for a Boss 429 for $500 !!!!!!!! I got hate e-mails from people asking me if I was on crack. IT'S AN AUCTION for Christs sake, I started this item at $9 with no reserve my guess is if you could sell your slings for $135 you would do the same. We on this board are price educated and just shake our heads when we see this. Just my .02!!!!!!!

phil the question is how many will you buy at $500.00 and resell them for $2,000.00 in the future.. ?????

that's good that you sell ford part's or any other car for that matter.it's not all thompson's...

heck i still have my 1963 j.f.k.signed pic..in the frame from d.c. anybody want to pop me $5,000.00 for it.it's rare and presented to me from john kluczynski congress fifth district.heck i'll even throw in a john dillinger "death mask"

since thompson stuff is big buck's maybe politko stuff is??? wink!!

maybe i should dig out that box of krap stored away since 1962....................MAR'S ATTACK'S wowwee!!

take care,ron

I've learned everything I know from old guys that've been around an age or two. *That*, was not the point of the posting so if you got that then you need to re-read the thread before showing your ignorance.

The point was all about the griping about pricing being higher than in "the old days".

I buy Frank's books. LOT's of them. I buy ones that I don't even need just to give them away as gifts. Aside from that statement, I feel no further explantion is due you. If you think this is an "us vs them" then you're as retarded as your insinuation.

we have learned all we know from the master's before us..and those after us will hopefully learn the same...wink wonk!!

i am getting ready to ask the "gold standard" for a thompson.... a kool 1 million!!

and i will never complain about pricing anymore wink!!!!!!!!

take cover,ron

I'm going to list a old beat to shit no buckle sling that I just found in the shop in honor of this thread. I'm going to list it at a buy it now price of $200 just to provide more fodder for another thread!

So there!

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

QUOTE (GonePostal @ Dec 15 2005, 09:48 PM)
I'm going to list a old beat to shit no buckle sling that I just found in the shop in honor of this thread. I'm going to list it at a buy it now price of $200 just to provide more fodder for another thread!

So there!

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

i have a worn used s.s. belt buckle..with 0&Cges.Ge.sch.

stamped on the back....a family hair/loom...from otto........what every boy need's to have under the tree at x-mas..wink!!

and a real rare cyq feb.45 p-38, taken off a live german!!

i heard too many dead german joke's already......

and yep a no-buckle fer 200.00.............that will get thing's flowing..........take care,ron

I guess my whole point to this is if someone wants to give you a bag full of money for an item you have, who's the fool, the one offering or the one not taking? Prices on Thompson stuff has really gone off the map, but are we mad because we didn't get that price for our item or this sets a precedent for future pricing? I enjoy "Old Fart" stories too, I think it's great that some guy bought a 21 Colt for $200 in the 60's. Oh, Ron you got to be kidding I wouldn't pay $500 for a F%^*&^# spring.