Went to visit my youngest son who is currently stationed in San Antonio TX, they have two nice museum's on base if you get down that way for a visit. There is a medical museum and a military museum; just want to share a couple of pictures of one of the displays. (I have some pictures on my phone, havn't figured out how to post them here yet.)

North of the base there is the National Museum of the Pacific War located in Fredericksburg, Texas. Great museum you can spend two days in there; saw this 1928 overstamp in one of the displays in pretty nice condition.

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

• Upvote 1

By chance is the PT boat display " floating " in a large " above ground pool " type area ? I remember my parents taking me to a museum with such a display when I was a little kid . I've wondered for years where it was and if it was still there.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks . As I recall , the one I saw had it set up as PT 109 sinking into the water as the crew abandoned ship . Had to have seen it in the 60s . Wish I could remember more about it .

Chris

I have been to that museum. I remember that display. I don't think it was a military museum. Can you narrow it down a bit? Florida or California? Somewhere else?

The museum is the National Museum of the Pacific War located in Fredericksburg, Texas.

That is a real F4F Wildcat.

The National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg is not to be missed. We have one member here that has contributed countless hours to the museum, and has helped to save MG's by having the museum take them in. Other members have also helped out there. I lived in Austin, TX for 21 years from 1985 to 2006, and Fredericksburg remains my favorite town in the whole state.

My father did his basic training at Camp Bullis and Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, as an M.D. headed for Vietnam in 1966. He ended up specializing in Dermatology with the Army after the war, and when he passed away in 1988, we contributed a very rare, first edition 1850's Dermatology book that he had collected to the medical museum that Orion mentioned in the original post. I never made it to see the museum, but they sent us a nice letter indicating it was on display at the time with his name credited. I've always wanted to make it there to see if it's still on display.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com