Question - Red Flag Laws and Class 3 Weapons

It seems the push for red flag laws is gaining a lot of national steam ... My state passed the red flag law. What is distressing is that all that is required is for someone to claim that a person is a threat ... A hacked off ex or a nosy neighbor could cause a knock on a firearms owners door by deputies there to confiscate the owners weapons. In my state anyone who has guns confiscated has 14 days to prove that they are not a threat in order to have their guns returned. Of course a lawyer must factor into this so it could easily cost the gun owner $20K or more to have their guns returned.

This brings me to a question ... If the gun owner is a legally licensed class 3 owner, can class 3 weapons be surrendered to local law enforcement? Class 3 guns are to remain in the physical control of the license holder, so would someone be in violation of federal law by surrendering a class 3 weapon to a non BATFE police agency?
I am addressing a hypothetical situation where a gun owner, and specifically a class 3 owner has been wrongly accused of being a threat.

Yes, of course police can confiscate NFA weapons. I've dealt with half a dozen domestic abuse situations where NFA were taken and inventoried and stored at sheriff or state police facilities and I retrieved them and had them transferred to my license by the registrants. ATF was very helpful in each instance.

Yes, of course police can confiscate NFA weapons. I've dealt with half a dozen domestic abuse situations where NFA were taken and inventoried and stored at sheriff or state police facilities and I retrieved them and had them transferred to my license by the registrants. ATF was very helpful in each instance.

Thanks for clearing that up.