War Dog and Thompson

Great shot. That gun looks ready to go. Do you know the location of that beach? Oh, is that some sort of "funny" fore grip??

Bob D

I've seen a picture of a Thompson in combat before and it has a modified horizontal front grip that has a vertical one attached to it. It looks improvised because it is not at the angle that a facotry vertical grip is at, almost looks like they took a second horizontal grip cut it in half and attached it at a 90-degree angle to the existing grip.

Purely me speculating though.

That's PFC Robert Lansley with Andy on Bougainville.

For obvious reasons, I am more partial to this pic:

Jesse Cowan with GSD Kane in Burma.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Polythemus/IMAG18682_zpsa07ea007.jpg

Thompsons and German Shepherds...The crossroads of two Arthur Fliegenheimer passions...I felt obliged to give you a "like" for this photo...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I think that's the Marine's trouser leg.

When I was in Vietnam the Marine K-9 teams were assigned to various units in the division depending on what a particular unit had going on.

Because of there frequent reassignments the handlers did not have time to buddy-up with other Marines but the bond between the handler and the dog was tremendous- either one would die for the other.

I am sure this was just as true in WW II as it is in today's war zones.

That's PFC Robert Lansley with Andy on Bougainville.

For obvious reasons, I am more partial to this pic:

Jesse Cowan with GSD Kane in Burma.

Thompsons and German Shepherds...The crossroads of two Arthur Fliegenheimer passions...I felt obliged to give you a "like" for this photo...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave,

Much obliged.

War Dog Memorial in South Lyon, Michigan dedicated in 1946 that was neglected and forgotten until it was restored in 2011 with a new statue on the monument.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Polythemus/MichiganWarDogMemorial_zpsb91b35e1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Polythemus/IMAG18702_zpsc30cbe87.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm.... that is only about 15 miles from me. Gotta go check it out!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

LONDON (AP) — A U.S. Army dog that attacked a machine-gun nest during World War II was posthumously awarded Britain's highest honor for animal bravery on Monday.

Chips, a German shepherd-husky cross, was awarded the Dickin Medal for actions during a 1943 beach landing in Sicily. According to the U.S. soldiers, Chips raced into an Italian machine-gun nest, attacking an enemy soldier by the throat and pulling the gun from its mount.

The medal was awarded by veterinary charity PDSA in a ceremony at the Churchill War Rooms in London. The honor was accepted by 76-year-old John Wren of Southold, New York, whose father donated Chips to the war effort in 1942.

Lt. Col. Alan Throop, who attended on behalf of the U.S. Army, said that shortly after the battle Chips was recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. The awards were later rescinded because army policy didn't allow animals to receive medals.

Military working dog Ayron who received the PDSA Dickin Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross, on Chips' behalf, in London, Monday, Jan. 15, 2018.

post-110-0-57048200-1516041725_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the photos in this old post are not showing, including the war dog memorial in Michigan photos, any ideas what the issue may be?

Stay safe

Richard

I did not know you could post from Photobucket. All the pictures I post are from my external hard drive, where I save them.