Look At This Thompson

Even the NAC parts guns, out of the "long lost" crate, had Colt markings on them, and they didn't blue them until the markings were rolled on them. Notice the receiver does have holes drilled for the Lyman. Considering that even the frame has no fire marklings, and all the visible parts are G.I type, (look at the protrusion of the buffer), this might be a mock up gun as made by West Hurley. Even though WH didn't start making guns until 1975, the 1968 paperwork the guy has does not match the gun anyway. How would ATF register this gun without a serial number, or identifying manufactuer?

yes thats one fine piece of metal he has there...........

the paper is wortha thousand....word's.................

now i have seen it all!!!!!!

next it will be offered for $$$29,867.25.......................auction gun broker standby..another thompson rarity......castro's personal model.................on the bay of pig's fiasco..............

j.s.give me a break..............wink!! take care ron colt/21a

P.S.wait!! let me get the cash out now!!!!

art you hit it right on the head........it was featured soldier of fortune march 75 issue...............look it up.and they have a good pic of guy who was shot with it...........however they say it was a ak-47 round 7.62x39.wink!!

we are up too late........take care,ron

You guys are up WAY too late! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mike, If he ever contacts you - give us an update as to what this is!

My guess is it is a recent compilation of ebay parts and a new reciever. The "1968" papers have yet to explain anything.

Whaddya think someone saw the real tommy prices, and thought they could build one, conjure up a story, and make $8k profit?

Easy money....

Where is your pic of Leavenworth?

It's all but certain that this is an Illegal gun. The owner claims the paperwork states, (what kind of paperwork?) that the weapon is a M1A1 yet the receiver is a '28. No serial number on the upper...cannot be kosher. I wouldn't walk away from this thing, I would run!... Can you say Federal Penitentiary? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mike Hammer

There is an amnesty registered Colt 1921 (maybe 1928) floating around Phoenix that has an IRS number stamped on the side of the LOWER.

The Colt S/N on the upper was obliterated with a center punch decades ago. The ATTU didn't see fit to stamp the upper with the IRS registration number. I have no idea if he ever had the barrel pulled to see if that number was still there.

Doug

doug you talkin about chuck's 21a in phx.or another???

earl had one also,and i am trying to work a deal on one now.however the barrel was pulled to check the original serial number which i have........

the problem with alot of thompson's after every change of hand the stories change so much........nobody likes the truth......................wink!! take care,ron colt21a

I don't know if X-rays will read this. I doubt it.

Acid etching used to be used for serial numbers that were gound off, but defacing with a punch makes even acid etch problematic, as you are deforming the metal where the numbers were stamped, not just removing visible metal from the numbers, and leaving micrscopily altered metal, from the stamping, underneath.

Hit the S/N witha sharp center punch 10-15 times on each digit, and you will rearrange those subsurface metal crystals to random grain structure again.

Doug

Bill in Va.,... the only thing you get is an `A` for supplying the correct info on the other site..Dude...you really know your stuff.out http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I emailed the dude with it and have yet to hear back. Not even sure where the gun is at, state that is. I'll keep ya'all posted on what come up. Find out if this dudes legit.

I was reading this when a metallurgist happened to call.

A while ago some tools were stolen from here at work and the numbers that were stamped in them were ground off. He got the tools and was able to read the numbers by polishing and putting a nitric acid solution over the area. The grains did show the numbers clear as day. It was conclusive.

If a gun is has new numbers that are just stamped over existing numbers, he thought there may be some info to be gained by using this technique. But, it welding was involved, forget it.

I am very curious about this as well, and how it applies to s/n "s-15043" that was mentioned here before (since I am buying it!).

Anybody out here ever did a magnaflux on a reciever to see if it was cut/rewelded? This technique might also show up numbers that have been ground off.

Were there any Savage guns with the s/n under the gripmount? Or was that just Colts?

I have the nose piece from a cut up 1928 receiver that has the number 215032 hand stamped in the grip mount area. Since they only made 15,000 Colts It appears they were still doing stamping the numbers in the grip mount area around 1942.

Thanks,

When I see it, that is the first thing I want to do.

It will probably answer a lot of questions about the gun - or open up a new can of worms!