Sandy/Darryl,

FWIW. Had the Colt 38 Super at the range yesterday. A fellow member had a chronograph set up and gave me permission to test my ammo.

My ammo was Fiocchi (GFL) factory ammo 129 gr FMJ.

My 5 shot average was 1172 fps. Hi was 1189 and the low was 1156.

There exits 9 m/m ammo that's that powerfull and + P ammo is likely more powerful.

Fiocchi is probably down loading it so someone doesn't damage an old 1900 38 auto.

Jim C

Wow! that's pretty wimpy. I pulled up some of my old velocity tests from the 1980's, and the Super Vel 112gr JHP clocked in at 1450fps. That was the only .38 Super I tested back then, so I don't know if factory ammo has gotten weaker. I suspect that it may well be true. I've still got a couple of dozen boxes of Super Vel, but I don't know if I have any .38 Super left.

Jim,

Here's some other of my Supers that you've not seen.

There Colts, one with the Swartz safety.

I resemble your disparaging remarks regarding the 38 Supers :-)

acf2f3b.jpg

img_4581_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

pix823566271.jpg

pix089819766.jpg

pix885470664.jpg

pix354085444.jpg

Edited by darrylta
  • Upvote 2

Darryl,

I've got nothing against Supers. I bought 2 of them this year. I'm just too embarrassed to post pictures of my shooter grade Supers after you posted pictures of such nice collector grade Supers. You have ruined my entire life. I hope your happy.

My post was meant to show how wimpy the Super was loaded by that one company.

Jim C

I don't sit and fire at tarets in a cattle stall, with the rest of the geeks. Edited by OCM

• 2 weeks later...

Oh crap- I guess I need to sell my Colt 38 Supers. Geez. Buy some " square " pistols. Damn.

• 3 weeks later...

I've fired the 1902 and 1903 Colt semi-autos in 38 acp caliber and they are a pleasure to use. Never fired a 38 super. And those that are pictured are just plain beautiful! I should save up for one but then another .351 Winchester or M1 carbine or Garand comes up for sale and the clock resets to zero again.

• 3 weeks later...

Never judge the 38 Super by Fiocchi or Magtech ammo. IMHO, and your mileage may vary, these manufacturers load undersize 9mm (.354) bullets and use modest powder charges. In fairness their ammo will function most guns but will not turn any heads with performance. It's like hand loads which function the pistol, but do not have the expected velocity for the bullet weight and caliber. I guess they do this because there may be some 38 ACP pistols out there, or people unwisely using 38 Super in 9mm Largo guns like the Astra 400. Another reason could be fear of blown case heads, as there is an unsupported part of the case in a M1911 chamber.

Enforcer,

While your theory on why some companies down load the 38 Super today may be correct, the Super seems to be the caliber of the past.

Years ago the choice was the Super at 130 gr/1300 fps, Or the 9mm at 115 gr at 1150 fps. Significant difference.

But now with the 9 mm available in +P and +P+, it catches right up to the Super and is available every where ,---cheap.

Jim C