Filling A Tsmg Police Case

I'm new to posting here, although I've followed the board for some months and have had communications with several members. For the past couple of years I've been working on putting together a good replica 1921 Thompson. I live in Illinois, so a live and legal Tommy isn't an option (and, frankly, I couldn't afford one if it was), but I've always loved the look and historical lore of the Thompson and, well... you know! Doug Richardson made me a wonderful receiver and barrel - a two-year wait, but worth it. I am using a pretty decent 1928 trigger frame of Savage manufacture. It's not a perfect visual match for a 21 Colt frame, but it does the job. I've had help from other members on reproducing the 1921 wood. Finally, today, I got a beauty of a police hard case reproduction from Greg Fox. I have a very nice "L" drum. I even made a visually passable copy of a parts kit box (out of an old jewelry case) to go in the appropriate space. Now I'm trying to fill out the rest of the case. I need a short brass Thompson-type cleaning rod and four Type XX box magazines. The mags are the big problem. I'm not that picky as to era or manufacturer. These things are just to fill those four little spaces in the hard case. Can any of you suggest a source or sources for these items?

As I've remarked in the past, QUALITY is always worth waiting for. Even if the wait is a little longer than expected due to other circumstances. Doug Richardson has always been known, not only for his vast knowledge on the Thompson Submachine Gun, but for taking the time, and dedication it takes to put out a superior product that's second to none. I know of no one that ever offered anything remotely comparable to the quality that Doug puts into his work.

Chopper:

I hope you can post images of your new toy as it nears completion. Also, if you have not already, check the FAQ above for a list of those who sell TSMG items online. You may find some XX mags there. Every one I've ever bought looked like it had been used as a knife sharpener. Rebluing might halp there....

Chopper21,

The correct cleaning rod for the police cases would be the long type issued with the Colt guns. The originals are pretty rare, but Gordon Herigstad has a beautiful reproduction. He ocassionally posts on the board, if you are interested.

I suppose waiting time for a finished product is a relative thing in a world that demands immediate satisfaction. The fact that Doug R's dummy receivers require two years for completion is not to impugn his craftsmanship. However, master gunsmith John Martz completes custom fully functioning Luger's in less than six months, and that's only if there is a waiting list at the time of order. Maybe Doug needs to think about acquiring an apprentice he can train to help expedite orders. Even Pope Julius II lost his patience with Michelangelo Buonarroti during the four years it took to complete the Sistine Ceiling. I suppose completing a dummy receiver in half the time it took to paint "The Creation of Man" is progress.

Info. please on Greg Fox and his repro. cases. I finally gave up on my GPC case after I broke a couple of hinges off. Never really looked quite right having the TSMG in such a long case.

Thanks guys!

This Greg Fox is the same one who sold police cases on ebay for $495 a little while ago. He was then going to make another batch using NOS hardware for $595. Now he is making police case that start at $635 and "Indianna" cases for even more? They do seem like nice repros with the correct color linning. Considering that it would be nice to actually transport one's TSMG without fear of the handle breaking off at some unfortunate moment, a newly constructed case of good quality and of orignal design, is surely much more utilitarian than some of these original cases selling for $2,700.

Lionhardt,

Does your Project X fit in a Fox police case?

Arthur, indeed Greg is producing a Police Case for my Project "X". It is 3 3/8" Longer. The extra length will house a few more XX Mags. And I purchased one of those Cleaning Rods from Gordon last August. All should look nice!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and leads! I'll be following them up. I'll get some images up on the board when all is complete. To add my 2 cents on Doug's waiting time; yes, it is maddening to wait an unspecified time (as I did - I didn't know it would be two years when I first placed the order) for something like this, but think for a moment: Here's one guy with the standards of a true artist, working alone and receiving orders from who knows how many of us out here in Thompson Land. There are many steps to turning a block of cold steel into a receiver like his, and each receiver takes an ungodly amount of time to complete. He travels to Belize a certain number of times a year. (He's a retired man, so who can begrudge him the R&R?) And, of course, I would imagine that he spends a fair amount of time reading and researcing Thompsons and just living his life with his wife. To me, the important thing is that he's the ONE MAN who is doing this on such a high level. He makes a Thompson replica that the General would admire, not to mention Payne and Eickhoff. When he is gone, who will replace him? My Richardson receiver and barrel are an investment in time and cash I'll never regret. They will only increase in value, and I think that future generations will prize these replicas as we prize the originals - as pieces of true American genius. Greg Fox's case is right up there, I will add. It is a product completely worthy of the Richardson or of an original Thompson, whichever you choose to put in it.

There is a temption to desire everything at once. After 40 years of collecting I now am willing to wait for quality. I purchased a cleaning rod from Gordon Herigstad after buying rods of the improper length. Its great and worth every penny.

Nothing will do but the correct rod, so spend the money and get what you will still always want. I have a Fox case and next to my original case it can't be beat.

There are several cases that appear on Ebay from time to time, and I have purchased some of them, most are junk made 20 years or more ago.

Ron,

You say that you have purchased Police, and or FBI, cases on ebay. Where these cases touted as originals? If so, and you discovered this not to be the case (no pun intended), what did you do? I was just wondering if you have an origianl case, and a Fox case for transport, what interested you about the other cases advertised on ebay if they were indeed not advertised as "original" cases?

Greg Fox does a masterful job with these cases. He uses NOS hardware from the original case manufacturer's supplier. He uses original cases for the patterns. I'm only a few miles from him and have seen them in various stages of completion. He puts a lot of labor into each case. Quality takes time. I can't wait for my case http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Does anyone know of a source for blueprints/hardware for these cases. May be an odd question but.....You know how Norm Abram at the end of the New Yankee Workshop offers detailed "drawrings" and hardware/suppliers part# for all of his creations. This way one could attempt to create there own as accurately as possible with historically correct information. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

I wonder if Norm takes suggestions or requests? I think that SMG owners are a large portion of the demographics that make up "Yankee Workshop" viewers....but seriously if someone had the prints and sources for hardware for the original configuration cases one could attempt the project and customize it to their individual needs.

The problem with shows like "Yankee Workshop" and "Horsepower TV" on TNN, is that if one already had the array of equipment, space, materials, time and inclination to attempt these projects, they would already know how to do it, and no doubt already have done it. Norm never shows the outtakes that you know have had to occur along the way. The seeming effortlessness of the application of his skills makes him appear superhuman. I would think that a show that forces the host to make use of commonly found power and hand tools around the home would make for a more realistic, beneficial and superior how to show. Even "Monster Garage" shows a master carpenter shooting a six-penny nail into his finger!