List of firearms removed from the NFA registry

Off topic but would appreciate being pointed to the correct location. I left a post on AOW forum site but thought the TSMG board would have the answer.

The BATF used to publish a list of C&R firearms removed from NFA registration requirements. It would include certain firearms by actual serial # such as Winchester trapper short barrel rifles. And I understood they update the list from time to time as people write in requesting removal..

I've downloaded the BATFE PDF MANUAL but it didn't seem to have the info.

Been at this a long time ( SOT since October 1971 ) and registered 18 items during the 68 amnesty while living in NC. Seen a lot of changes over the past 49 years...

Thanks to all for your help

You can download the current C&R list here, scroll to bottom of page: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Section III Firearms removed from the provisions of the National Firearms Act and classified as curios or relics, still subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Edited by inertord

Thanks to both of you.

I understand about removing an already registered item.

What I can't seem to find is where you can look up a "specific class" of items that are no longer required to be considered as NFA.

For example, I know that certain Mauser broom handles with stocks are no longer required to be registered as NFA and BATFE has ruled that certain other stocked pistols still need to be registered.

So if an individual comes across a similar item that was never placed in the NFA registry to begin with, how can you look up whether this type of firearm is no longer required to be registered?

As noted above, you use the provided link to download the C&R list.

You go to section 3 and start searching. You will find both firearms listed by specific serial number and firearms listed by make and model. For instance, the following appears in Sec. 3:

"Mauser, Model 1896, semiautomatic pistol, as produced by Mauser prior to 1940 accompanied by original German mfd. detachable holster/shoulder stocks, any cal."

You have to pay attention to the details, but if your firearm fits the description in the list, it's exempt from NFA 34.