$19,000 - WW2 Bringback Matching 1943 MP40 w/ 6 1943 mags, 2 1943

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I was just giving the full picture as far as I know. Just saw a vet bringback bnz 42 go for 19k on gunbroker, you both probably saw that as well. I figured a 660 might be more desirable and at a better price. Finally, opinions seem varied on whether to swap out the bolt assembly on an original mp40 to save wear and replace with a bpf bolt assembly, etc, compared with just keeping the hand fitted gun all

Together and not overshooting it, keeping it clean, etc. Just wondered if swapping parts was really

Necessary, and if so who sells the best ones. Thanks again.

"Necessary" is your choice. Some of the FBP bolts work, some do not. I acquired one from a C&R owner who said it was to big, and it also proved a bit oversize for a Wilson I had at the time. Have not tested it with an Erb yet. Others report no problems. More pricey, but you could always get another MP-40 recoil/bolt assembly.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 660 code MP40 that is awesome, came with the Vet's bring back papers. I purchased it from a guy on this board who I have known for some time. As he noted above, if the right piece comes up, you will know it. We he offered me the MP40, I believe it took me about 3-4 hrs to say yes :)

I love it and wouldnt part with it for anything. A real nice addition to my collection. Only the barrel is not matching. Otherwise all the other parts are Steyr.

That is cool Thundercat. Yeah this 660 is all matching, has some papers with it - which I can't wait to read, and when my dealer/gunsmith acquired it as part of a trade it supposedly had sat for years without firing. He said he took it out one day with his son, thinking they would have to work on it, and it lit up like a champ from the start. Amazing weapons and collector pieces for sure.

Thought it would stay in his family, but when he said you still want it there wasn't much hesitation like you said.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw several post from people that seem to know a bunch about the MP40. Any help with my question would be greatly appreciated. I have an FXO all original with the captures paper showing the gun was captured at the battle of Monte Cassino in Italy. The GI killed the German and fought his way back to the american side with the MP40. I also have the original IRS paper, a copy of his DD214, discharge papers and several pics of the soldier while he was over there for three years. He received three purple hearts and several other awards. Our news station came to my house and recorded an interview with him about his time over there and how he captured the gun. I have this interview on a DVD. I was thankful he kept the IRS paperwork because when we went to transfer the gun, the ATF tried to take it because it was not in their data base. Once we provided all the paperwork, they did allow the transfer. The finish on the gun is OK, not in mint shape at all since he carried it through his time in Europe. While I was on R&R from Afghanistan I went to Italy and walked the same battlefield. I am a novice when it comes to Class 3 and have no idea what this gun is worth. It has around 8 mags that are all FXO marked and a loader that is FXO marked. I also have all his paperwork and maps about the battle, plus his books on the battle. Any help on what this is worth would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. The gun will be sold in apprrox 10 or 15 years if anyone is wondering. I'm not home at the moment but will attach some pics later.

• 4 years later...
There were some comments in the thread about a dent just above the magwell. That is not a dent its a crimp that holds the barrel trunion in place. The Germans simplified the mfg process on the late war guns. Instead of welding the trunion on they put two crimps on the receiver to secure it.

Interesting that its listed again.

I made the right decision because of all you guys. Instead of buying this MP40 for $19,000, I bought my MP44 for $16,000. A couple years later a nice original MP40 fell in my lap for $7,500.

Thank you so much guys! I almost bought this MP40 for a very over market price at the time!!

Seller mentioned it came from an estate maybe the owner passed. Mike You have a nice sturm. I watched your video many times before i bought one.

The original owner that brought it back did pass and it was bought by checkpointcharlies, who is the seller that offered it to me for $19,000, then $17,500. That was 3-4 years ago? He is still around, but this is not his normal gunbroker name.

Thanks about the MP44. i hope you enjoy yours. VERY happy that I also grabbed a nice MP40 as well eventually and for a steal.

Seller mentioned it came from an estate maybe the owner passed. Mike You have a nice sturm. I watched your video many times before i bought one.

The original owner that brought it back did pass and it was bought by checkpointcharlies, who is the seller that offered it to me for $19,000, then $17,500. That was 3-4 years ago? He is still around, but this is not his normal gunbroker name.

Thanks about the MP44. i hope you enjoy yours. VERY happy that I also grabbed a nice MP40 as well eventually and for a steal.

There are steals and then there are STEALS. LOL

my BRP from spiwak was advertised as BRAND new in the title...showed up rusted/pitted, barrel had rust fur in it AND non functional....so his descriptions can be wildly off...if his gun is not refinished then its the best looking mp40 original finish ive ever seen x 3

i would not trust his words

unless they found that gun in a crate after the war and brought it home there is no way it could be original finish

Yup, I agree with you two. I took a look after Petroleum1 said he had one in stock. There is no way that that gun is original finish. I owned an Erb tube gun and the finish was identical to this one. I would not trust that guy with a ten foot pole. It lloks to be buyer beware at all times I guess.

Ive bought four excellent WW2 machine guns from Spiwak with no issues. Ive found him to be excellent to work with and unlike some other dealers, if youre not happy hell refund your money. Ask the questions and get good pictures and you shouldnt be disappointed.

Spiwak will refund the money. Wont argue that

Ive run into dozens of people dissatisfied with him

Endless stories

Sometimes 2-3 stories a month

None of the dealers are perfect. Ones Ive had good luck with others have not. But Spiwak has been consistently the worst stories

3 machine gun purchases from Dave over the past 4 yrs and so far I've had good luck. I once returned a MP5 to Ruben and he pitched a fit but eventually gave me a refund. Frank at MTW takes returns no questions asked.