PK'd West Hurley

Just casting about for opinions from our RKI members. I received notice recently that my 1928 WH will be going to Paul for his work very soon. Is it the opinion that a WH that has been PK'd increases it's value if I should ever decide to sell it? It has been a long wait but am anxious to have PK do his magic and enjoy the results that everyone raves about.

I asked to PK mark my WH M1 with his diamond K logo, not that there would be any doubt about who did the work. It emulates an early M1 TSMG. It's beautiful!

Edited by TSMGguy

The logo is very small, only about 1/8". It's on the left side of the receiver, in the area where GI guns had the inspection and ordnance bomb marks.

TIz,

I strongly recommend you have PK re-manufacture your West Hurley Model of 1928 Thompson. I have been very happy with work PK performed on mine many years ago. Those members on the Board who attend the Thompson organizations Show & Shoots see my West Hurley once or twice a year. To me, it is the best looking Thompson gun at the show. I have been told I need a shooter grade Colt to go with my display West Hurley. Go figure! Of course, the Dan Block deluxe wood helps a lot with the presentation. I would not worry about how PK's work may increase the value. Your time spent in the future with one of PK's masterpieces will more than make up for any potential change in market value. Take advantage of this opportunity to transform that 1970's entry level market Thompson gun into something very special. I recommend the following procedures:

1. Deluxe blue

2. Original Lyman adjustable rear sight

3. PK barrel (get rid of that WH barrel)

4. GI paddle fire control levers converted to Colt type checkered clones with hole in Safety lever.

5. Have the hole filled in a GI magazine catch

6. Install a smooth ejector. I believe Savage made is much better than the Gordon repro ones.

7. Milled fore grip if not so equipped

8. I would request both the 1928 and 1921 operating system (cut down GI actuator for 1921 style - both knurled) This will result in having two buffer pilots, both most likely custom fitted to the pilot hole of your West Hurley.

9. leave the GI frame internals "bright" as to copy the Colt's look

10. bright Savage 1928 bolt

If you replace the barrel, you have the opportunity to go with the A or AC style. I really like the A style.

What am I forgetting?

Good luck!!!

You aren't sending it to PK for the resale value, you are getting huge value by sending it to PK. The final result will not disappoint. That said, I have seen advertisements for WH guns that specify they are Diamond K (PK) rebuilds and therefore are to command a greater price. Though, I can't imagine letting go of a PK gun except through death. :D

My WH was PKd before I bought it and it truly is a beautiful thing to see. I did get both 21 and 28 internals. So I cannot speak to what mine did or did not do but I am a proud owner of a level of workmanship that really stands out. It looks like a cloned 21 😎 and I am planning to 🔥 it up this weekend.

I purchased a 1928 WH Korean commemorative right after it was reworked by PK with a NOS parts kit.

The results are impressive. The thing is a masterpiece. Way better than factory new.

FWIW -

The upside to PK's work is you will get a properly functioning gun that looks like it was built for a museum.

The downside is that it will look so nice you won't want to shoot it...

I definitely agree with all of the above. For sure get one of PK's 21 buffer kits. My WH had the phony aluminum butt stock slide too. PK fitted a steel GI one to the lower receiver and Dan Block provided new wood to match the new slide. The aluminum ones are shaped a bit differently than the steel.

Beside's looking great, I really noticed how smooth the action was when it came back.

Have fun

Really like TD's list of options, except personally would want the option of a Cutts.

Happily, PK can make a 21A pattern threaded front ring sight; at least, he has done this in the past.

This would give you the option of adding a Cutts in the future, if you ever get tired of the circumcised look.

(Ok, maybe that was a little harsh. How about: "If you ever want it to look like a real Thompson?" Better? :D )

You'll get your chance to tell me off in person, plus examine the beautiful work on the TDPKWH -at TATA.

Edited by mnshooter

I've owned 5 Pk'd Thompsons over the years and see that none of them were marked with his diamond logo.

I asked him about that on several occasions when he was doing his spa work on them. I didn't get a definitive answer

from Paul on this, just his refusal to do it.

In hindsight, I think if you put limits on his work process. He will not stamp the gun since it's not the best work he can do.

I'm glad that I have his handy work in my collection!!!

My 2 cents,

Darryl

I've owned 5 Pk'd Thompsons over the years and see that none of them were marked with his diamond logo.

I asked him about that on several occasions when he was doing his spa work on them. I didn't get a definitive answer

from Paul on this, just his refusal to do it.

In hindsight, I think if you put limits on his work process. He will not stamp the gun since it's not the best work he can do.

I'm glad that I have his handy work in my collection!!!

My 2 cents,

Darryl

PK was only too happy to stamp mine. There was no discussion about it, as I recall. It was just another option, and one without charge.

huggytree wrote;

Is it true that PK. Charges $4,000 for a typical redo?

Why don't you contact him directly and ask what different services cost rather than posting a generalized number that doesn't fully explain the enormous tasks he performs?

Edited by Motorcar

huggytree wrote;

Is it true that PK. Charges $4,000 for a typical redo?

Why don't you contact him directly and ask what different services cost rather than posting a generalized number that doesn't fully explain the enormous tasks he performs?

Does that mean yes?

I heard that cost from a forum member. Curious if its a real number. If true I wonder why not sell and buy a GI gun since thats about the difference in WH vs WW2

Not saying he doesnt do a great job or his prices are unreasonable. If his wait is 5 years obviously he isnt over charging. Id argue he should charge more

Just wondering the financial logic if $4,000 is a typical redo why be married to a WH when you could just sell and buy a WW2 gun

I called PK and he told me that the wait was 4+ years maybe 5 . The cost was approx 4k depending upon what he found when he got the gun.

Obviously his work is outstanding but I have to agree with Huggytree that when you upgrade a WH to be dependable, reliable and up to GI specs

is the investment worth it?, I dont think so when I can have a GI gun now for 20-25k and the WH are costing 20 and even 25k on the auction sites.

The GI gun will be more marketable down the road and historical as well

Just my 2c

Waiting 5 yrs for a slot to be cut is about waaay too long. But what do I know? I've only been in the tool and die business since 85.

It is a long time and I would bang my head against a wall for sure and some have waited even longer but it boils down more to a supply and demand thing. PK and maybe one other gunsmith do this kind of work with the Blish slots for WH guns and there are thousands of WH guns out there. PK is arguably the best for full WH overhauls and puts a lot of effort into each Thompson, so there are many more customers with guns to fix than he has time/energy to put into it hence the long wait list time. However, there are many people who have previously and are still willing to wait because they want their Thompson’s to be in the best condition possible. The wait has in fact gotten so bad that PK said he isn’t accepting any more wait list additions and won’t for the foreseeable future when I talked to him this week so 5 years almost seems like a deal for those who can’t. If other gunsmiths take up doing this type of work I bet there would be less of a wait but until that day this is the world we live in.