W.h 28

I bought a W.H. 28 today. The serial # is 11,8XXA has anyone seen a W.H. with a higher serial # ? The gun has a real Lyman adj. sight with Savage internals.

Thanks

Shane

If you go to www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tcn/default.htm for the month of August 15, 1998 Vol. 94

you will find that numbers has high as 4000 exist

# 11,8XXA ??

Shane, post a picture of your number, maybe we can check it better. Oh, and you don't have to xx out the numbers, we don't care. After all, we can't do anything with 'em.

According to the list in the US Submachine Guns book, the highest number for a transferable WH gun is 2908A from the 464 guns made in 1986. There are LEO only guns from 1992 in the 3000A-3099A and 4000A-4040A range.

The WH 28 I bought last month was 891A making it one of the 328 guns manufactured in 1979.

If that is the number on the receiver, it cannot be a West Hurley.

1928 Serial Numbers, West Hurley

Sounds like you have a WWII Savage, not a post 70's West Hurley. Another possiblity is the upper and lowers don't match and the lower is a Savage replacement stamped on the rear tang. WH models didn't stamp a serial on the lowers, but then again, the serial off the side of the receiver is what is important.

Also, I find it a little odd that you probably paid quite a bit of money for a full auto gun, as even West Hurleys are over 10K these days just to get in the door with the newer less collectable models. Yet, you really don't seem to know what you just bought with all that money beacuse your statements contradict each other. Did you inspect it? I would question this with the seller because the paperwork (form 3) might have an error or it is the wrong paper for that gun. Or maybe if you bought this sight unseen that the dealer told/emailed you one thing and meant another.

Anyhow... Pics? What approximate price range? I have seen WH's for anywhere from $9k to as high as $14.5k and a WW2 Savage generally from $18k to $24k depending on accessories for both.

Chris

Here's a twist to the serial number saga for WH 28's. Back in 1983 I ordered a new WH28 with a serial number to match the serial number on a colt 21 Ac that I owned, The price for a special request number was a whopping $25.00 and it made a nice set of guns to show. Colt 21AC # 8780 and a new WH 28 with # 8780A. then when WH made the new 100rd C drums, I ordered one again with serial # 8780 on the drum. Niether this gun or drum ever shows up in any of the WH records that are posted for serial number ranges.

Maybe you have a gun that someone requested a special number on and they just dont show up on the records since they weren't in any order with the others produced.

Shane,

Congratulations and enjoy many happy times with your Thompson.

Sounds like it was a custom order with real Lyman sight and special serial number, as tsmg2110 indicates.

Some time back there was a set of all three '28 WH Commemoratives (WWII, KW and VW) with serial numbers that had been custom ordered to match for sale on the Subguns board.

EDITED TO ADD: See page 320 of Frank's "U.S. Submachine Guns" book.

MP

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

Guys-

Good points. I forgot that West Hurley did do some on request numbers, such as matching sets you see for sale sometimes that don't appear in official counts. The way the poster stated it, it still seems as there could be a mixup if the gun hasn't been seen up close and personal.... but the point is valid and it absolutely could be a WH. Sorry about that.

Still - I would love to see some pictures.

I would post the numbers but the gun is not in my name yet so to respect the buyer and at his request I can not post the full serial #. I have double check the numbers and I have seen the gun & shot it,that is the serial #. The paper work reads Auto-Ordnance Corp. West Hurly New York Serial # 118XXA, it says the same thing on the gun. I too questioned the high serial #. This may be a special serial # request gun ? I do appreciate all the imput from everyone.

Thanks

Shane Lessard

Shane - For your information, two Colt Thompson parts kits were imported into the USA in the early 1990's with serial numbers in the 11800 range. The serial numbers were 11830 and 11843. If one of these numbers is the serial number of your West Hurley, you may have a Thompson that someone ordered to complete a Colt parts kit. Just a thought. You may want to check and see if the lower frame is serial numbered. If these serial numbers are not correct, e-mail me the serial number when you feel comfortable doing so and I will tell you if a Colt Thompson has been reported with the same serial number (without the A suffix). Congratulations on your purchase.

Slim pickins in the 11,8XX range for known transferable Thompsons. A Jan or Nov birthday sounds like a good possible.

Bob D

When they first came out I had one made with the serial # RON1 - it came with a Lyman rear sight without asking or paying more.