Want To Know: Tsmg Wwii 1928 Guns

Last time I checked on this board, auctions like his caused posters to respond with a paroxysm of palpable petulance aimed at Devine's perfidy.

Are you saying there are board members here who think JC Devine sucks?

Naw..... not on this board

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

when my paperwork comes back on my Savage 28, i will sell/trade it, ONCE i find an AR15 model 01 to switch with, until i find that gun, this one doesn't leave.

I like thompsons and LOVE their history (esp. WWII guns), but i want the 01 more. i have wanted an 01 since i was about 15 (C&R only state, hence the 01).

i would love to own a thompson and the 01, but in todays market i can't. when i finish Grad school next summer, then i can start to look for another M1 thompson to replace the 28. i kinda like their looks more than the 28.

craig i even had the 01 the 614,and 639's......remember these words when you sell the savage, you will miss it,within six months you will look in the mirror and say,WHAT DID I DO,WHAT DID I DO???

and you will return to search mode to find another.........

see a ar-15 is just that,heck a current semi almost fill's the same gap!!!

but a thompson,history,exotica,magic,the aroma of the wood,the actuator sound upon pulling it back.....there is nothing like it............

m-16 ar-15 tinny mag,slam in and out,goofy stock spring sound,black plastic,pull back the charging handle......no excitement............no cool aroma's.......anodized aluminum smell's yuck!!!

wink!!

you can tell i have been that route..............take care,ron

Well, since I work 10-hours a day and don't have internet available at work...nor should I....I am going to try to place an ad locally and see if any closets or garages hold anything that might be available...The dealers greed has escalated prices almost out of my reach once again and so they are out of my purchase plans. They have the inside track, just imagine a WWII Vet or his kin, who might walk in with a Thompson for sale or know where there might be one or two available and they beat them up on the price....and then they put their kids thru college with the profits. Oh yeah, and then they're the people who have 4 or 5 or even 6 or 7 of these Thompsons and still want more. I agree they will continue to drive the prices up...and they smile all the while. Lets face it some people just do not play well in groups....and they live by the slogan 'he with the most toys wins!' this is all very frustrating for the wannabe owner who wants just one piece of Thompson history! ps: I have a West Hurley 1928 and it ain't the same...yes it shoots the same...yes it looks the same...but it just ain't the same to me!

I had to give a dealer $100 to flag a Thompson (any Thompson) for me. 'Course that was 1989. I wasn't even looking for a Thompson when I stumbled across my '21. Get the word out to various people (even non MG'ers or even non shooters that you are looking to buy any legal MG). Eventually, something might come your way. Had TWO MP5's, an American 180 and an M11/9 drop in my lap that way. One MP5 became my '21 and the other became my MP44. I even made business cards on the computer and handed them out to "walkers" at gunshows. Ended up with all sorts of neat stuff (including bunch of 01 parts and an original WWII German paratrooper helmet and bandolier).

And as far as an 01....those are plain sexy (in a heroin chic sorta way). The Thompson is more Reubenesque (sp?). The 601 with its super light weight....the rate of fire on par with a '21 Thompson...the mottled brown furniture factory painted green....the satin chrome bolt and carrier......the triangluar shaped charging handle....the waspy thin barrel and three prong flash suppressor....the Colt/ArmaLite markings on the side.........and those accessories. Oh, the accessories.....bipod, bayonet, grenade launcher sight, scope and mount, waffle mags...all with Colt/ArmaLite markings.....the manuals and sales brochures....and the original sling..... uuuggghhh http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif (Ooh, did I say that out loud?)

Craig101,

From a prior thread:

"Triggering Memories at the NRA Museum,

Tommy Gun Devotees Can Zero In on a Classic

By Stephen Hunter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 22, 2004; Page C01

At 2:23 p.m. on Nov. 1, 1950, news suddenly arrived at the Secret Service office in the East Wing of the White House that across the street, men were trying to shoot their way into Blair House, where Harry Truman was taking a nap.

James Rowley, agent in charge of the White House detail, responded with four words, spoken, one imagines, rather forcefully: "WHERE'S MY TOMMY GUN?"

You have to admit: He had a point.

Fortunately, Rowley didn't have to pull the trigger that day, and the agents at Blair handled their emergency with dispatch and heroism. But Rowley's cry reflects almost a half-century's worth of loyalty by American police and military men toward Brig. Gen. John Taliaferro Thompson's baby when things got shaky and high quantities of firepower were necessary.

It also reflects a half-century's worth of fascination in popular culture, where the Thompson submachine gun became an icon. Bogart carried one in "Sahara" and "High Sierra," Edward G. Robinson took a lungful of T-gun product and it was, Mother of God, the end of Rico in "Little Caesar." Dillingers, both in life and on film, let fly with the sub-gun's rat-tat-tat. Then, when the guns became a military standard in World War II, they surfaced in just about every movie made about that conflict, most recently and most famously in the hands of Tom Hanks as he saved Private Ryan.

The actual things themselves have long since vanished from police or military gun vaults, replaced in our fabulous modern age by lighter, faster, uglier, plasticized, teflonized, ventilated thingamajiggers, high on efficiency, low on romance."

The AR-15 01 (or M-16) while it is "our" generation's machine gun, is just not a Thompson.

BTW, there's a guy in Michigan (C&R only state) who has an 01 on subguns and sturmgewehr for $16,500. All it takes is money!

Get both!

Take care,

Tom S.