Restoring A 1928?

Hi all,

I have an M-1928 made by Savage, one of the first 10,000 to be shipped to the UK early in 1940. It has seen some action both during and after the war. I am considering whether to try to restore it or not. It works just fine but I think it would look good with new blueing (they were blued, not parkerized, right?) and the wood needs some attention as well.

Granted that the project turns out successful, would such a restoration do anyhting to its collectability? If I go ahead, should I try to do the blueing myself or is it better left with a pro? What should I use on the wood?

Any ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Balder

post-3-1072981722.jpg

Balder,

I'm with Arthur on this. That piece just reeks of history... Maybe internally you might want to freshen things up, but as for the overall firearm, it would lose it's flavor. Man, even the dings on the buttstock look good!

Best Zamm

Balder, I love your pics,... what a piece of history!...as the owner of a restored 21ac...I sometimes wish the previous owner would have left well enough alone...just to see the years of heritage,like yours.Although I do enjoy seeing it looking it`s best,now.Mine was professionally restored...worthy of a 21 and IMO worthy of yours.Think about it for a while and enjoy it for sure.KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Balder, I would leave it as it is. It would be a great piece in any gun collection. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Regards, Walter

Thanks guys! You're all confirming and reflecting my own thoughts on the issue. Rest assured, the gun will stay as it is. I'm only the present keeper, guarding it for future generations. Now I only need to get hold of an L-drum.

Regards,

Balder

The original guns were not blued. They had a black oxide finish. It looks like a fine, black park but it actually a blueing over a less than fine finish. I would NOT refinish it. Can't find many under SN S25,000

Strip the wood from the gun and save it. It looks orig. Similar wood can be had relatively cheap. Refinish this "new" wood. Look the internals over closely, they may be Colt parts. You have the flat ejector and the control parts look like Colt. I'm assuming a 5 digit SN. Right side of gun NY,NY address. Clean the metal as well as you can with rag (no abrasives) and go with it. Any British or mil proof marks? Do lower/upper SN match? My 5 dig Savage:

100_0063.JPG

Bug,

Thanks for the information and advice, it seems that your 1928 was also in the batch of 10,000 guns shipped to the UK early 1940. Mine is S-245XX, 12 patent dates and NY address on the right hand side of the receiver. It has the broad arrow British acceptance stamp on the receiver, to the right of the chamber. Upper/lower SN do match. I think you're right in assuming that some control parts may be Colt; the magazine release is definitely blued, as is the trigger

The reason why you in the USA can't find many Savage Thompsons under # 25000 is the fact that they were exported to Europe. Savage started their #range with S-15041, which is where Colt let off when they closed their production in 1922. This first series of Savage Thompsons was actually made with machinery from Colt.

Auto-Ordnance started fresh on a new SN range for their production.

I take great pleasure in the gun, both owning and shooting. To the extent I have a gem in my gun collection - this is it!

Regards,

Balder

I would not refinish this gun, it has much to much history and character. Of course, each owner has the privilege of making this decision himself, but if brought to me for the work I would advise against.

Bluing = Black Oxide.

These terms are entirely interchangeable regarding >W.W.II finish. Pre war (and currently) other methods were used but are usually referred to with a specific identifier like “rust blue”, “niter blue”, “charcoal blue” these days. The hot salts process developed then by the Dulite Corp. (and often referred to as “Dulite finish”) is virtually the same as what we use today. “Bluing” is the common gun industry name while general commercial circles refer to this as “black oxide”.

When this finish is applied to polished steel it has a bluish hue, when applied to matte finished parts (like WWII TSMG parts) it is more black in color. But it is the same process.

Balder,

Really nice gun! Thanks for being a good custodian of this piece of history. I support your decision to leave it as it is. I have a later Savage 1928A1 in original finish, also with British proofs. I have no intention of refinishing it, and yours is far more unique than mine.

It is interesting that the wood on your gun does not show the typical British swivel modificaitons. Perhaps this wasn't done on the early guns imported into Britain.

A nice WWII L-drum would be a great addition. Good luck in your search and thanks for sharing.

Roger

reblue it,and gold inlay and engrave with a normandy beach scene,and a likeness of steve mcqueen from,"NEVER SO FEW"he used the m.g.m.gun and franky did also in the 28 scenes............check out the rear sight's............

and market it for 100,000 to some filthy rich maniac...........

and buy a colt for 30,000.and pocket the rest...........

wait !!too much for the colt.....well you get the picture don't you????wink!!have a good new year........

now we need a war story behind the gun,"the final chapter"

take care,ron