Any news from Knob Creek?

My first time. I guess its not the whole experience as the barn has cement floors. No dust and very little mud. I was disappointed that for my first trip, the mini gun was not there. Was looking forward to seeing one run in person.

Only cool Thompson find for me was a Colt safety lever hiding in a box of parts.

Saw a 21a, 28Navy and a 28A1 for sale.

Best part was spending time with friends during the show, lunch, dinner, etc.

Ron

There wasn't a lot of cool Thompson stuff at the Creek this time. There were only 3 Thompsons that we saw there. Two Colts, and a Bridgeport. Ron Brock found the best deal of the day that I know of yesterday amongst the Thompson crowd. Had lunch with Sig, TD., DLansky, Colt Chopper, and Ron Brock. We also visited with Roscoe Turner, CincyKen, TM76, Got Uzi, MrBill, and Ruben Mendiola.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Man I missed everybody. went to A-10 a couple times. Did get to see the Todds for a few minutes. They was really busy. Missed seeing a couple of my old ATF friends. I found a lot of prices were out of sight. No mini guns on station for the first time in years. Still the front line was full. Did get to meet Criss and his dad at the big cannon an chatted for a good while. A bit of trivia, that cannon was cast right in Louisville Kt.

The cement floors in the barn was a big improvement, but after walking all day my feet and back were killing me. We met several people at breakfast and hope to meet up with them in the spring. Breakfast was the same. Missed the girls selling the hot dogs out side, just not the same inside. We had a great time and will be back in the spring and hope everyone has safe journeys home. Charlie.

Dad and I got home around 3:00 this morning. I picked up a Pat Date mag for $20. I saw one down there for $250 and died laughing.

I did pick up a few nice M3 items while I was there-an original thread protector for barrels and suppressors AND an original GI M3 case. I did buy a nice British magazine tin for Thompson mags

Dad and I got home around 3:00 this morning. I picked up a Pat Date mag for $20. I saw one down there for $250 and died laughing.

I did pick up a few nice M3 items while I was there-an original thread protector for barrels and suppressors AND an original GI M3 case. I did buy a nice British magazine tin for Thompson mags

I saw that M3 case. Glad you bought it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I saw the case as well. It's been there two creeks or so. If I did not have one I'd have bought it. They are indeed as rare as the seller stated. Only the 3rd one I've ever seen for sale in close to 20 years.

I thought I saw a couple M1's as well as the others. Got some things on my list, but most of what I got was stuff I don't have on a list, but rarely see. Grabbed a semi American 180 to go with my FA one. 1917 AA tripod extension, E3 m60 buttstock, and a number of other obscure items including Chauchat parts to a couple aimpoints. My interests are rather diverse.

The concrete was rather surreal and seemed to bury some of the ambiance? I don't know if I like it or not? I did see a guy dusting his cases even though there was no dust on them? Apparently his arm muscle memory had not yet adjusted after decades of dusting?

• Upvote 1

Johnsonlmg41-I looked at that case in the spring but the money he wanted was too much for me. He started off this time at $500 and immediately dropped to $400. Told him I would go $300 and that was it.....well I ended up with it. I need to get the leather backers made for it. Could you send me some pictures of the one you have?

He was at 400 when I looked at it and sounded pretty firm. Had I known he would go to three, I'd have two cases! Congrats, that was a good deal IMO. Sometimes an item can be rare, and buyers are as scarce as the item. That is what I'd label as a hard core collector item.

My case is a different style and buried in a semi storage situation, but if I get time this weekend, maybe? Not sure what you mean by leather backers? Like the snaps on the tank mount Thompson cases? I don't think mine has those?

Like you said an item can be rare but the buyers are also rare. When he dropped $100 right off the rip and knowing that he's had it at shows for years, kinda figured "why not" and hit him with a low number.

On the back there are two areas where a square (2x2 iirc) where there was something sewn to it. There are slots cut into the center of said squares also. I was thinking that there were leather squares for either a handle or sling there.

A different version?? I would very much like to see that!!!

A leather reinforcing square. There are slots in the leather to correspond with the slots in the canvas. Supposedly for a sling, you can see them on a googe image search for M3 grease gun case. I've never comprehended why you would put the gun in the case, then attach the sling? I guess you could flop the case away from the gun and fire it in a pinch, there should be enough slack? Hence why the case holds a loaded magazine. I suppose in a vehicle it makes a lot of sense? Peel the case back, pull the bolt back, and bam!

I never turned his case over to see those missing? This time he stuffed the case I noticed, or maybe I just noticed it this time? The case I have has no markings at all ad no rolled piping covering the outer perimeter thread seam. It is wartime whereas the one you have may be late war or even post war since the usage was likely in tanks, and like the Thompson cases, you can't just leave the guns laying about unsecured and uncovered?

Another advantage to the greaser....only a handful of accessories to collect vs. like an MG34 where one can easily drop 15K on accessories, spares, and mounts.

Correct there are no markings and yes he stuffed it with card board in the magazine section and bubble wrap where the receiver would be. So those are just leather squares with slots cut in them??? That makes it easier. I tried to look the cases up on Google but wasn't having much success. The story he told was that the case came out of a tank in England, but I can not confirm this with any documentation. All I care about is that it is an original and that I have it LOL

To me there are a lot of accessories to collect as I am putting together a full collection of M3's from the 4 variations of the guns to all the different manufactures of barrels, bolts, sears, etc........can you tell I prefer the M3 to Thompson's?