Price Check M1a1 - Post Dealer Sample

QUOTE (motorgun @ May 19 2005, 01:09 PM)
When you decide to give up your SOT could you destroy the receiver and sell the parts?

Yes. The receiver is the controlled part. All else is just fluff in the eyes of the law.

I haven't even seen a reweld parts gun advertised for less than $800 let alone an uncut original M1/M1A1 at that price.

The M1A1 I saw an ad for was an uncut original for $2,000; I don't know if it sold though. I've seen several posted for the $1,000 to $1500 range.

$400 seems pretty low. Full auto 45, are you trying to suppress the post-sample market for Thompson's as well as the transferables again?? How do you expect us dealers to cash in on the "Thompson Greed"? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

If these guys are selling parts kits for $450-$600, you know they ain't payin' that for it. So, it's all about how much can I get for nothin'. So I figure a couple hun for the parts and a "c" note for a dealer cost on a blank receiver/80%, and there you go. Shouldn't be worth more then that. Now should it?

I suppose if it's just a finished out dummy reciever(still alot of work to finish) but not if it's an original WWII gun that happened to be brought back "home" by an importer after 1986. The originals (post-samples) have the desirability because they are the real McCoy.

Guys that are selling rewelded Thompsons are asking almost/just as much as the original post-samples because of how much work it can take to put a torch cut receiver back together. Personally I wouldn't buy one because upon close inspection they never look "right".

QUOTE (motorgun @ May 20 2005, 09:17 PM)
Ater all this excellent advice, I finalized the purchase of a non-reweld "posty" M1A1 Bridgeport today.

Thanks!!

Is it a finished out 80% reciever or a complete WWII gun? How much did you pay?

I'm guessing Collector's Corner(Ohio Ordnance). If so Hardrede, you better call that Bob Landies fella up and tell him he's in big trouble for not doing things the way you say they should be done!!!

That Landies fella is something else!! After importing thousands of machine guns and parts over the last 20 or more years you'd think he'd be smart enough to ask you the legal in's and out's of the importing business!!

Oh, and while your at it you'd better find out what NFA examiner approved the transfer and give her a scolding! Maybe you can go to D.C. and teach a class to all the NFA examiners about what forms they should and should not approve, you can call it HARDREDE 101.

Until a couple years ago Ohio Ord had quite a few original post sample Thompsons in bond. I think all have been sold or cut up for parts. The guns are out there and occasionally turn up for sale. $1500 seems to be about the going price for an original M1 or M1A1 and I've seen 28's go for as much as $2000 for an original. I've seen M1 type rewelds go for $700-900 and guns built from steel receivers like the Phila ord around $1000. I haven't seen any of the phila ord type '28's sold so I don't know what the pricing on them would be. I sold a reweld M1A1 about 4 years ago for $700 and have another that I've fired about 4000 rds through so far. There is usually no problem with welds cracking if they are done well. My first one cracked once and taught the welder (me) a lesson I will not forget. No disaster or injury just a bolt handle stopped in mid stride. I've seen a couple poorly mig welded receivers break in two with the result being a stoppage rather than a bolt in the face.

Post samples are a pain in the ass to sell and I don't know any class 2's making a living off them. Normally the work to build one in addition to the cost of the parts kit will not be covered by the sale price and excise tax paid. Why build them then you ask???

Its good practice for welding, machining and general gunsmithing. It helps build and maintain skills that are used on transferables or others. I've actually done demos for PD's with posties. PD's love the thompsons and it teaches them something about their history as well as learning to control an SMG. Posties have a place and there are dealers that collect them despite the regs to the contrary. Prices have gone up on a lot of them though nothing like the transferables or pre-86 samples.

Frank

That's funny, he never told me any of that when I bought my Swedish K. I've never been told that when I bought numerous other post-samples from the "other" huge importer here in the U.S.. By the way, selling U.S. M2 HB's as we speak.

Hardrede the omnipotent! you are all knowing and wise! What would the Class 3 community do if we didn't have your input(nobody listens to your input anyway).

"Retransfer Authorization"? sounds the same as an approved Form 3/5, if an approved Form 3 or Form 5 is good enough for the NFA it's good enough for me.

I have got an original post sample M1A1 that I paid about $1000 for 2 years ago. Imported by collectors corner. All matching and a great gun. I would not part with it ever but $1500 seems low to me. ATF is not allowing further import of c and r stuff. Believe me I have tried with Marstar for the last couple of years. Also have a post 1928 A1. Paid $600 out of shotgun news last year. Later savage gun with smooth barrel and L sight. Also collectors corner. Would not part with it at any price but $2000 seems low as well. Demo letters hard to come by for this stuff. You shouldl be glad you bought it.

Nope, Century Arms just had some MG34's clear a few weeks ago. Maybe a machine gun made in the '30's and '40's isn't C&R enough?

Hardrede, how come you haven't responded to the M2HB's coming into the country and those are being resold as post-samples well? "Retransfer Authorization" is only when you apply to import it into the country, not when you sell them out of the bonded wharehouse.

From what I've been told, importing weapons and accesories is very complicated and time consuming and not for amateurs, that's why I usually leave it to the pros. I did import a couple of M63 and M3 tripods from Marstar a few years ago and it went fine.

The copy the seller gave me of the original transfer to him (MANY years ago) was indeed from Robert I. Landies of Collectors Corner. It looks legal to me. It is in outstanding condition and Serial number is 93xxx. Manufacturer and/or importer shown as:

Auto Ordnance Corp.

Bridgeport, CT

USA

Hi Phil,

There has been a bit of a shakeup at ohio ord and Karl the show guy is no longer working for Ohio Ord. Karl and Roley were there on saturday and had a few things on the table. I had to deliver some stuff that I had done for them and hung out for most of the day. I got to meet Roger from the boards here and thought you might be around too but must have missed ya. They are expecting to be at the rest of this years OGCA shows as far as I know. They normally do the wilmington shows....

Frank