Australian Thompson?

These look like Australian property marks on the receiver. Is the 'D' on the buttstock Australian?

I can find no other marks that appear to be non-factory.

Also, is this a Colt-era foregrip? It has no letter on the end.

Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_c9.jpegfullsizeoutput_c5.jpegfullsizeoutput_ca.jpeg

A.O.6857 - that is one low Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) serial number! Actually, the lowest I have seen. Does the frame match the receiver? The reason I ask is because a frame with this serial number was mated with a much later Savage 1928 Thompson for sale by Ruben?

AO 6857 frame.jpg

These look like Australian property marks on the receiver. Is the 'D' on the buttstock Australian?

Thanks.

attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_c9.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_c5.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_ca.jpeg

Thanks.

attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_c9.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_c5.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_ca.jpeg

Indeed the markings on the receiver are Australian property marking, (Defence Department) and according to the Skennertons Small Arms Identification Series, the 'D' on the stock is the marking of the AOC contractor company Dittenborn of Hartford CT.

Stay safe

Richard

I do not know the status of this Thompson at Ruben's. However, if it is sold, Ruben may pass along a note or e-mail to the buyer or current owner and let the owner decide if they want to get in touch with you. It may still be awaiting ATF approval for transfer. If I owned it, I would certainly want to know the location of the matching frame. Unfortunately, the finish will not match. Let us know what you find out.

What is the current status of A.O. 6857? In the United States? Form 4? etc?

Thanks.

JJX,

Regarding your question about the foregrip being Colt era, it is hard to tell from the photos what type of sling swivel is on the horizontal grip. It appears to be a regular milled Springfield type swivel which was used on the early 1928A1 Models. If so, it is likely a regular early military grip that just happens to be unmarked. If it has an Enfield off-set type swivel, send close up pictures, especially of the front end of the grip for further review.

Nice looking gun. I don't think I've actually seen a buttstock with the Dittenborn stamp before. Is the rear grip a Strombeck? Or a Dittenborn? I know the are both smaller profile than Savage grips.

Andrew

Thanks.

>These look like Australian property marks on the receiver. Is the 'D' on the buttstock Australian?

Thanks.

Indeed the markings on the receiver are Australian property marking, (Defence Department) and according to the Skennertons Small Arms Identification Series, the 'D' on the stock is the marking of the AOC contractor company Dittenborn of Hartford CT.

Stay safe

Richard

Richard, Thank you. I have not seen a 'D' in that location before this one.

I do not know the status of this Thompson at Ruben's. However, if it is sold, Ruben may pass along a note or e-mail to the buyer or current owner and let the owner decide if they want to get in touch with you. It may still be awaiting ATF approval for transfer. If I owned it, I would certainly want to know the location of the matching frame. Unfortunately, the finish will not match. Let us know what you find out.

What is the current status of A.O. 6857? In the United States? Form 4? etc?

I will look into it, thanks.

It is in the U.S. and is a pre-86 sample.

Thanks.

JJX,

Regarding your question about the foregrip being Colt era, it is hard to tell from the photos what type of sling swivel is on the horizontal grip. It appears to be a regular milled Springfield type swivel which was used on the early 1928A1 Models. If so, it is likely a regular early military grip that just happens to be unmarked. If it has an Enfield off-set type swivel, send close up pictures, especially of the front end of the grip for further review.

Gigive,

It is the standard milled swivel. I was wondering about the grip because it is shorter than the marked grips that I have seen and has wider side grooves.

I will examine more closely later.

Nice looking gun. I don't think I've actually seen a buttstock with the Dittenborn stamp before. Is the rear grip a Strombeck? Or a Dittenborn? I know the are both smaller profile than Savage grips.

Andrew

Andrew,

I have not seen the Dittenborn stamp on a buttstock either. The rear grip is a Strombeck.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Stephen

Here are additional pics of the grip.

The third pic has a Strombeck grip sitting on top for comparison.

attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_df.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_e0.jpegattachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_de.jpeg

JJX,

Nice pictures! Although I would agree that the grip in questions appears to be a little more finished than the standard WWII horizontal type grip, I still am not sure if it is a Colt era grip. It exhibits some traits of the Colt era grips, e.g. slightly wider finger grooves, slightly curved front end, etc. It is still difficult to tell without a side-by-side, in-person, comparison. I have provided some pictures below that I took several years ago comparing a Colt era grip with a standard Savage WWII grip. I also took some new pictures today showing the distinct curved front end of the Colt horizontal grips. Comments are welcome.

Colt Navy Grip-1.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-2.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-3.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-4.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-5.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-6.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-7.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-8.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-9.jpg

Colt Navy Grip-10.jpg

As you can see, the Colt grip is slightly fatter at the rear than the WWII grip as well. Maybe you could take the grip off your gun and compare the two grips that way as well. I would also remove the grip to take a look at the finishing on the inside of the grip forward of the grip mount slot. The Colt era grips appear to be hand finished and are not as smooth in this area as the mass-produced WWII grips. Hope the photos help.

Edited by gijive

Thank you all.

My grip is somewhat curved in front and does not match either the Colt or the WWII grips. It is the same width at the rear as the WWII ones, not wider like the Colt type.

On the other hand, the inside is not as smooth as the WWII grips. I could not get a decent photo, but it certainly feels rougher.

Maybe it is a rare Australian prototype :happy:

On an unrelated note, GI Jive, I noticed your 'Miller's Crossing' quote. I played a cop (extra) in the film when the speakeasy was raided. I was dragging a guy out to the paddywagon when the Thompson was fired from the window above me.