1919A4-7.62x51 Rounds/hour

Hi All,

I'm new at belt fed guns. I've got the opportunity to run my 1919 Inland sideplate 1919A4 for a group of interested shooters. My question is how much can I let them shoot it in about how much time.

My plan was to put together 100 round belts. I don't want to damage the firearm. Would a 100 round belt every 5 minutes allow enough time for cooling?

As I mentioned I've no experience in shooting the 1919 more than a few brief bursts. They seem robust. I set the headspace and timing and it ran all of my test ammo w/o a hiccup.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

Several years ago I started using an infrared thermometer to get a read on barrel heat. Depending on the ambient air temperature and wind conditions, barrel heat (and cool-down time) can vary quite a bit. I try not to let mine get over 180 degrees.

Good point. There was an episode of Lock n Load in which Gunny Ermey used an infra-red thermometer to compare M1917 and M1919 barrel temps. I don't remember the numbers but the difference was huge. It might be worth a look. I don't remember if it was the MG1 or MG2 episode.

Edited by StrangeRanger

I guess you have never been to Knob Creek. Buy a blaster barrel or two and have fun. There is not much you can hurt. that cant be replaced.

Edited by sherman3

I grease my internals and the barrel where it goes into the booster then cut it loose. Ill run a 250 round belt via bursts or one long burst then let the gun cool. When Im letting it cool off Ill pull the barrel out the back to both make the gun safe AND let it cool quicker.

First off I apologize for my smart ass response to your question in my earlier post. Make sure you understand head space and timing and make sure that both are set properly. If you are just giving some friends the full auto belt fed experience I would give them 50 rds at a time. I would not be afraid to shoot 4 belts [1,000rds] before letting it cooldown.

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. Didn't think to watch it with IR. I certainly don't want to exceed the flame temperature of the lube on the trunnion bearing.

Hate to throw a curve in my own post but. With respect to timing: Set it right in the middle of the range? (That is where it is set right now, about 0.070")

Thanks,

Grasshopper

ps. Sherman3 - Good point on the short 50 round belts. It gives them the experience and if something goes wrong (gun or shooter) the running time in the belt is limited.

Got Uzi - If you have pulled the barrel back, could one slide the barrel all the way out and "quench" it in water to cool it?

Edited by Grasshopper

If you were to quench the barrel in water you run the risk of destroying it due to changing the hardness of it. Rapid cooling of any steel like that isnt a good idea unless its in a controlled environment.

Best to let it cool down by air

We used to do rental shoots, and still fire a lot - long bursts are not "bad", you just need to let the gun cool. sustained bursts are hard on the bore - heat is the enemy and wear the result. I have turned a number of barrels into smooth tubing with no visible rifling . they still shoot, but just minute of car door at 100yd. Short belts will conserve ammo - and let you and friends shoot longer - We also use something like WD 40 to spray down the barrel / jacket and booster to aid in cooling and keep some lubricant on there- the WD 40 evaporate without leaving a residue like other stuff ( break free) Remember to oil the moving parts. motor oil etc. I know guys who have turned barrels cherry red, and yes, it does destroy them. Some powders are much more errosive - the 8mm surplus stuff really seems to eat barrels .

People will fire 50-100 rds and not even really remember the fun ( sensory overload) - breaking it down into smaller sections allows them the "process" what they did the first time and enjoy later turns. They can actually then experience the shooting.

We have conservatively fired somewhere near 8-900,000 rds through my Brownings ( at least) just based on ammo I don't have any more. DSC08127.JPG