Vintage Police Photographs with the Thompson

Enjoy these....

1. Policeman in Miami, Oklahoma holding Thompson

2. Toronto Police 1940

3. Caption:

Police searching for convicts are well armed forthe job. Shown are some of their weapons.

From top; a tear-gas rifle with shells; rifle; sub-machine gun and a shotgun 1947 Canada

4. Policeman looking down business end of the Thompson

5. Indian Motorcycle with Police (Drawn on, unfortunately)

Police Miami Oklahoma.JPG

Toronto Police 1940.jpg

Police searching for convicts are well armed for job. Shown are some of their weapons. From top; a tear-gas rifle with shells; rifle; sub-machine gun and a shotgun 1947 Canada.jpg

Business End Thompson.jpg

Indian Motorcyle with police.jpg

Edited by azboater
  • Upvote 1

Interesting sidecar mount. Looks like it attached to a yoke in the sidecar where the legs of the shooter go under!

Thanks for sharing!

Forest Park, a suburb of Chicago, captured a bank robber in 1960 using a Thompson. The Chicago Daily Tribune Article from August 3, 1960, shows the officers and Chief displaying the recovered loot. Two original Press Photos are also attached as well as the version that appeared in the newspaper.

Chicago_Daily_Tribune_Wed__Aug_3__1960_.jpg

Forest Park Thompson 1.jpg

Forest Park Thompson 2.jpg

Here is another one from the 1960's where a Thompson came into play. More for a show of force, I think, than actually having to use it. The photo is at the scene of a commercial burglary where multiple offenders were apprehended. Chicago P.D. South Side probably mid -1960's based on the uniforms.

CPD Thompson Burglars.jpg

Edited by dalbert

Forest Park, a suburb of Chicago, captured a bank robber in 1960 using a Thompson. The Chicago Daily Tribune Article from August 3, 1960, shows the officers and Chief displaying the recovered loot. Two original Press Photos are also attached as well as the version that appeared in the newspaper.

attachicon.gifChicago_Daily_Tribune_Wed__Aug_3__1960_.jpg

attachicon.gifForest Park Thompson 1.jpg

attachicon.gifForest Park Thompson 2.jpg

Here is another one from the 1960's where a Thompson came into play. More for a show of force, I think, than actually having to use it. The photo is at the scene of a commercial burglary where multiple offenders were apprehended. Chicago P.D. South Side probably mid -1960's based on the uniforms.

attachicon.gifCPD Thompson Burglars.jpg

Sorry for the double post, maybe a moderator can delete the first one?

Must have been a hot day in Chicago that guy in the middle sure is sweaty.

Giant Panda must have fallen asleep during part of the TATA lecture last year LOL

Ron

Ron

Giant Panda must have fallen asleep during part of the TATA lecture last year LOL

Ron

Ron,

I was thinking the same thing about the TATA lecture and yes, August in Chicago is very hot and humid. I'm not sure if the1980's is long enough ago to be vintage, but here is a picture of me checking out the Chicago Police Thompsons, kept in a sub-basement at the old police headquarters at 1121 S. State St.

CPD Thompsons.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cool, a new shot of Baby Face Nelson, I've never seen. Hope Colt Chopper in on line. Amazes me these old 30s photos still pop up. Thanks for sharing. Nelson here has more hair in this photo, taken in Chicago.

OCM

Ron, I never sleep at TATA lectures... (except maybe the gas gun one... no, I do remember that one!) I just don't hear or remember things anymore!

My comment was the difference in the mount, I thought the TATA repro mount had a post that went all the way down to the base of the sidecar between the rider's legs. This one has a yoke where it splits above the rider's legs.

The picture does seem familiar though...

Chuck - great CPD pic! I want a signed copy!

Ron

Ron,

I was thinking the same thing about the TATA lecture and yes, August in Chicago is very hot and humid. I'm not sure if the1980's is long enough ago to be vintage, but here is a picture of me checking out the Chicago Police Thompsons, kept in a sub-basement at the old police headquarters at 1121 S. State St.

attachicon.gifCPD Thompsons.jpg

I want a signed copy too. Great photo!!

I'd like to agree the 1980 is not vintage, but the youth I run into seem to tell me otherwise. I have been told that I am now in the old man club. I guess it's a generational thing.....

....and I am no longer in the "young" generation.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Chuck,

Whatever became of the Chicago Thompsons?

Canuck,

I saw the guns ones one other time, several years after the photograph I posted. In about 2005 I viewed them at a different storage facility, as far as I know they are still there.

I'm not sure if the1980's is long enough ago to be vintage, but here is a picture of me checking out the Chicago Police Thompsons, kept in a sub-basement at the old police headquarters at 1121 S. State St.

attachicon.gifCPD Thompsons.jpg

That is a great photo, Chuck. Looking good...I'm surprised you've never shared that before. I too, want a signed copy. Maybe we can go in for a stack of 8x10's to hand out? I would frame it, and put it up in my office!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Did you notice the Thompson, middle shelf in the back... M1 / M1A1 with vertical grip. Or I would highly expect to be with that stock on it. Could be M1 lower on a 21/28 upper but doubt it. Everyone loved the feel and handling of the vertical grip.

Here are a few more photographs of the Chicago PD and other agency Thompsons:

CPD Thompson Photo.jpg

During the St, Valentine's Day Massacre investigation the Chicago Police seized three guns from Peter Von Frantzius, who was supplying the gangsters with defaced guns. The below article outlines the legal battle to keep three of the defaced Thompson guns from Von Frantzius. Two of the guns are still in the possession of the Chicago Police Department and they put them into service in their own arsenal. The serial numbers were raised by none other than Calvin Goddard and the original numbers were re-stamped on the guns:

Von Frantzius_Daily_Tribune_Wed__Nov_25__1931_.jpg

CPD 5783.jpg

CPD 5783-1.jpg

Two views of 1921 AC Thompson No. 5783.

CPD 5619.jpg

Close up view of 1921 AC Thompson No. 5619. Both guns have 1st Model Compensators.

CPD Thompsons.jpg

Alternate shot of cabinet with Thompsons. All the cases contain Colt guns.

OPPD Poster.jpg

Oak Park Police Department test firing new guns.

Interesting news story Chuck, I see Walsh is involved again. Very active guy in the day- The milling off of the numbers looks a bit like the Nelson gun, all maybe done on a rotary shop grinder. What agency would be involved in stamping the numbers again, Treasury ? I guess it's pre 34 so not issues-

OCM

Interesting news story Chuck, I see Walsh is involved again. Very active guy in the day- The milling off of the numbers looks a bit like the Nelson gun, all maybe done on a rotary shop grinder. What agency would be involved in stamping the numbers again, Treasury ? I guess it's pre 34 so not issues-

OCM

Sandy,

Yes, normally on defaced guns the Treasury Department would have stamped a number for registration purposes. These guns were seized before the 1934 NFA, so Goodard raised the numbers just to see what the original numbers were and re-stamped them with the original numbers. Since it was rather apparent that the Chicago PD was going to keep them, they weren't numbered for registration purposes, it was just to track the gun shipments that went through Von Frantzius' shop, in my opinion.

Very interesting.

Chuck, do you have the numbers form those guns? Are those numbers verified to be correct? The acid etch method is good, but not always perfect. Jackson Co. Mi. gun comes to mind.

It always boggled my mind why people did not just take the barrel off and read the number. Marcellus Thompson went to Chicago and told them the number was under the grip mount. When I did not remember. But why did they ignore that?

Very interesting.

Chuck, do you have the numbers form those guns? Are those numbers verified to be correct? The acid etch method is good, but not always perfect. Jackson Co. Mi. gun comes to mind.

It always boggled my mind why people did not just take the barrel off and read the number. Marcellus Thompson went to Chicago and told them the number was under the grip mount. When I did not remember. But why did they ignore that?

Mike,

Yes, those are the correct numbers. They show up in the Coroner's minutes of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, as well. Marcellus Thompson came to Chicago when they were trying to trace some gun shipments after the slaying of Asst. State's Attorney William McSwiggin in 1926. I think they resorted to the acid method because it was "scientific" and demonstrated how forensic science could solve crimes. Besides, lacking the proper tools to remove barrels, they probably felt it was quicker and easier to do the acid etching. Besides, the guns weren't regarded as collectibles and they didn't care if they ruined the finish.

Mike,

Besides, lacking the proper tools to remove barrels, they probably felt it was quicker and easier to do the acid etching. Besides, the guns weren't regarded as collectibles and they didn't care if they ruined the finish.

Chuck,

Don't know if chain of custody was a consideration, but after 1927, Marcellus could have arranged for Fenn Manufacturing to effortlessly remove the barrel to reveal the factory serial number.

Arthur,

Speaking of Fenn, I recently re-contacted them regarding my request from several months ago about getting some information on the type of fixture they used when they did the work for Auto-Ordnance. They were having some difficulty finding anything so I requested they start looking in their archives for the 1926/1927 time frame. If I hear anything I will post the results.