WWII - Thompson Motorcycle Platoon

OK, I'm a new member to this site so give me a rookie pass if I mess up this posting. You may have seen this before, but attached is a photograph from the August 1941 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine with a WWII Thompson motorcycle platoon.

I'll need the help of the experts here on this site . . . 1928's or 1928A1's?

William Borgh

Houston, TX

post-261004-0-86903100-1493084215_thumb.png

Edited by X-RD1

I have a photo of file, from a front cover of the Popular Science.

TSMG_on_bike (1).jpg

Early in Word War Two, the British often used motorcycles and Thompson guns for propaganda purposes.

In my files, I have some photos from this period, all of which have been published elsewhere:

1928 BSA 1941.jpg

In the above photo, you'll note that some of the Model of 1928's do not have compensators, the story of these is covered in the book, "Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story" by Tom Davis Jr., a book I would recommend to anyone, who has an interest in the Thompson gun.

TSMG & Norton.jpg

and here is a lethal combination, a Thompson and a Bren gun.

TSMG Bike & Sidecar.jpg

Now where have I seen the following photo before?

British Dispatch rider.JPG

The following photo had me puzzled, I initially thought the helmets were French, but the webbing is British 37 pattern, the gas mask bag strapped on the chest is British and the sling on the Thompson is British 37 pattern too.

Thompson & Sidecar.jpg

Below is a patent for fitting a Thompson gun to a motorcycle.

Patent_machine_gun.jpg

In my collection, I also have a few World War Two magazines which feature motorcycles and Thompsons on their covers, war time propaganda, some from the same source:

The War Illistrated.jpg

TSMG & Motor bike.JPG

TSMG_bike.jpg

The combination of Thompson guns and motorcycles, was used to good effect in British Propaganda.

British 1928 poster.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

OK, I'm a new member to this site so give me a rookie pass if I mess up this posting. You may have seen this before, but attached is a photograph from the August 1941 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine with a WWII Thompson motorcycle platoon.

I'll need the help of the experts here on this site . . . 1928's or 1928A1's?

William Borgh

Houston, TX

I needed to confirm something, before adding this reply.

In September 1938, the US Army changed the Thompson status from Limited Procurement to Standard and was designated as the “Submachine Gun, Caliber .45, Model of 1928A1” . Following the change in status an order for 932 of the remaining Colt Thompsons was placed in June 1939. As the official designation from Sept. 1938 was Model of 1928A1, I guess these and all further purchases would have been Model of 1928A1's.

Below is a photo of a 1928A1, which began life as a Model of 1921, as the 932 Thompsons ordered in June 1939 would have.

12907 1928A1.jpg

Richard I believe the picture that had you puzzled is of polish troops, that would explain the use of British gear and it would also explained the helmets

Thanks, I suspected they may have been Polish, as I once read the French supplied Polish forces with helmets.

I'll need to look for more Polish photos now.

Thank you to everyone for all the information. The knowledge base in this forum is incredible.

The additional motorcycle and Thompson photographs are great to see as they were a very unique part of the WWII war effort.

In the original photograph that I posted the Thompson SMG's are missing magazines. While it was a great WWII publicity photo, that platoon wasn't going to do much in the way of wreaking havoc.

Attached is the cover of the August 1941 edition of Popular Science. The Thompson SMG's were getting plenty of notoriety in the print media.

post-261004-0-14565800-1493197025_thumb.png

X-RD1,

if you want to see more photos of US Army WLA's, some with, but many without Thompsons, check out the website below.

Here is a sample:

WLA Exercise 1942.jpg

http://www.theliberator.be/liberator3.htm

Enjoy the photos.

Stay safe

Richard

Richard - An excellent web site with many fantasic photographs!

I liked the one titled, "Tactical Demonstration."

Uncle Dudley, I'm surprised that during the war the Chicago Tribune newspaper was printing with color photographs. That one is worth framing!

Thank you again to everyone who has shared these great historical artifacts!

I found this picture while looking up some stuff, what is on the muzzle of the gun?

Here it is again, is it possibly a Blank firing adapter?

On a side note, is that Nick Cage in the Sidecar??

Indian Motorcyle with police.jpg

Edited by azboater

and here is one, which I believe to be pre WW2.

USMC Motor Cycle.JPG

Can anyone confirm, from uniform and details on the motorcycles tank, if he is US Army or USMC?

Stay safe

Richard

1952HRA,

Here is a picture of the 1921A Model Blank Adapter that is pictured in the photo you posted. It is a simple hinged device that fit around the front of the barrel, was hand-tightened and had a plug with a restrictor that fit in the front of the barrel. Seen in a few early newsreel type films of the day.

1921 Blank Adapter(1).jpg

attachicon.gifUSMC Motor Cycle.JPG

Can anyone confirm, from uniform and details on the motorcycles tank, if he is US Army or USMC?

Stay safe

Richard

USMC or US Army, can anyone confirm?

attachicon.gifUSMC Motor Cycle.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

USMC or US Army, can anyone confirm?

Richard,

The USA on the gas tank would stand for U.S. Army, as opposed to United State's of America. So I feel pretty confident that is an Army motorcycle and rider.

GI Jive,

Thanks for confirmation, I suspected that was the case, reference to tank in my original post on subject, but the head gear threw me off, I thought that was typical U S Marine Corps.

Stay safe

Richard

• 9 months later...

Stumbled up this photo of a Gordon Highlander with on his Norton, for using his Model of 1928, (without compensator), does not look very practical.

Gordons Highlanders.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

Stumbled up this photo of a Gordon Highlander with on his Norton, for using his Model of 1928, (without compensator), does not look very practical.

attachicon.gif Gordons Highlanders.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

Interesting gun. Any idea when it was taken?

Looks like he needs 3 hands ;-)

Indeed, but beats the roller skate idea, that was already posted on the forum... but here it is again..

Roller Skates & Thompson.jpg

stay safe

Richard

attachicon.gif Gordons Highlanders.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

Interesting gun. Any idea when it was taken?

Tom Davis Jr. provides details on the Model of 1928s ordered without compensators by the British in his book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story.

http://www.machinegu...showtopic=17273

It was at the end of 1940 that, to cut costs, the British ordered Thompsons without compensators, but how many were actually delivered without compensators, before AOC agreed the price with or without compensators was the same is unknown. With time for delivery etc. you are looking probably looking at the photo being taken anytime during or after 1941.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps