Update On Ryton Order

Here is what I received this morning from Ryton on my order...not worth the price now..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

We thank you for your order.  There will be an excess charge of £4.00 for air mail postage to the USA.  The £2 p&p included in the price of the cleaning kit is only for Mainland UK .  Also due to BATF regulations, we are not allowed to send magazines into the USA - they are classed as a banned item.  Therefore please let me know if you still want the cleaning rod, screwdriver and oil bottle.  Many thanks,

Oh well.....mags are banned....you heard it for sure and certain now....totally sucks.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Get a munitions list import permit. Or contact BATFE. They may let you import for private use. Both the BATF and the State Department have done so in the past as long as imporataion was not for distribution or sale.

Do not take the interpretation of US law by a dealer in England as the final word.

The issue is neither 'for sure' or 'for certain' untill the BATF and State Department say it is. If they say yes, then send a certified copy of the letter to your dealer.

Hummmm? Lets cut away the fat to see if what I said is in here.

QUOTE (hardrede @ Sep 24 2004, 11:45 AM)

#1)You are required to get a "retransfer" authorization from the US Department of State for all "Lend-Lease" and Foreign Military Assistance Program weapons, parts, accessories. As well, the US GOV MUST get all proceeds from such sales.

#2)Section 3 of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and Section 505 of the Foreign Assistance Act (FAA) of 1961 require that potential sellers request the Department's permission to retransfer said materiel, and that prospective purchasers agree not to retransfer the items without the prior written permission of the Department.

#3)Also, the FAA requires, among other things, that the USG receive the net proceeds from any sale of defense articles provided as aid to a foreign country (unless the State Department grants a waiver).

#4)The Department believes the import of US military parts furnished to foreign governments under a foreign assistance or sales program must be subject to Department review to be consistent with the law and State policy.

- 2 -

Let's see if we can break this down , so a simple man like myself can digest it.

#1) Apply for license to import items on the State Departments 'Munitions Import List' (M.I.L.)

#2)Keeping if for myself so I don't have to ask to "retransfer the item' once they have aproved my import permit for M.I.L. items. If I want to sell it, I just have to ask the State Department if I can

#3) On stuff this old, they will usually give you a waiver. The sales price will be as 60 year old scrap and it is not worth thier time to bang you for the money with scrap iron selling for under $10.00 a ton.

#4) As long as I have my trusty M.I.L. permit AND a Form 6 aproved by the BATF I am within the parameters of the law.(as of the last time I did this in 1999)

Now what was my orriginal post?

"Get a munitions list import permit. (#1)Or contact BATFE. They may let you import for private use(#2). Both the BATF and the State Department have done so in the past as long as imporataion was not for distribution or sale(#2 again). Do not take the interpretation of US law by a dealer in England as the final word. The issue is neither 'for sure' or 'for certain' untill the BATF and State Department say it is(#4). If they say yes, then send a certified copy of the letter to your dealer."

Point #3 just has to do with money and really is not an issue in the legality of importation. Other than that I think my orriginal post just about covered it. Granted it was in a rather over simplified manner. But you get the gist of it. I mean I'm not lawyer or anything.

Thanks to Hardrede for all of the helpful, supporting information

QUOTE (hardrede @ Sep 26 2004, 07:35 AM)

The retransfer is for the foreign seller to "retransfer" the parts to YOU the importer.  It is your (the importer) requirement for THEM, (the foreign seller) to get the authorization.  The money that THEY (the foreign seller) recieve is supposed to go to the US GOV. 

I really do not wnat to belabor this point but making a blanket statement that it can not be done when it is being done (with alll sorts of US lend lease stuff like vehices and aircraft) makes no sense to me.

Re- read this part of your letter (as posted)

"You are required to get a "retransfer" authorization from the US Department of State for all "Lend-Lease" and Foreign Military Assistance Program weapons, parts, accessories. As well, the US GOV MUST get all proceeds from such sales."

If 'you' have to apply for the retransfer permit them it is 'you' who will be retransfering and 'you' who will be paying.

Dude. I really do not wan t to argue semantics and personal interpretations of the law. You see a wall, and I see a place to put a window. I just apply for the building permits in the right places and in the right order.

I import WWII US vehicles ALL the time and do it legally. And yes, they are covered under the same regulation as gun parts. Between making trips to Washington and working with my own lawyers and the US Attorneys Office here in Detroit, I have complied with all laws and regulations. Remember: it is always how and to whom you ask the question. The Gov. does not hand out free advice or tell you 'how' you are doing it wrong. They just tell you no.

We are all supposed to be friends here and to that end I will make no more posts in this thread as it seams too inflamatory to the readers.