Boy Scouts and Thompsons

An old friend of mine was a teenager at a scout camp the first time he saw a Thompson. A local Deputy Sheriff gave them a presentation on the gun and he was the lucky one who got to shoot it. Now he is a retired soldier and several times over the last few years he has delivered presentations on military weapons to the local Boy Scouts and a JROTC unit. He has no automatic weapons, so recently he invited me to join him and enhance the WWII weapons presentation to a scout troop with the addition of a couple of Thompsons and a grease gun.

He and I took turns discussing the history and use of each weapon. The 45 scouts and five or six adults were a very polite and attentive audience. The Thompsons stirred a lot of interest and prompted the most discussion, although we had several thoughtful questions throughout the evening.
I’m not exactly surprised, but I must say I was impressed by such a fine group of young men. I think it’s good to promote the positive aspects of gun ownership and I really enjoyed doing it. I encourage board members to consider similar presentations in your area.

• Upvote 1

I was asked to do a machine gun presentation for a group of Explorers. The group was under the leadership of the director of shooting sports for my son's council....and the same guy who gave me all my NRA instructors certs so I could counsel for merit badges.

He set up the event at the Philippo Scout Camp in Cannon Falls Mn that spring before it was open to Scouts for the year.

The kids listened to my daughter and I talk about how the guns worked, history and safety

We then allowed each Explorer 6 boys, two young ladies 25 rounds each in my 28 Thompson, S&W 76 and WWII STEn MkII ...as well as the camp Commandant getting to dump an L-drum

All were smiling afterward a d they broke out Anschutz target rifles which we shared

Great group, great day!

This took

Heading to Texas tomorrow....roundabout. should be through DFW area maybe Friday?

Ya know, you can call the Scout Council and ask if any Explorer posts would like a machine gun experience......they may just say "heck yeah"!

As long as someone is there with certifications, it would work!