All,

I recently acquired 2 unique Sten items, and I thought I'd share them, and seek your input. They are both Sten Mk III barrel gauges. One is definitely a chamber gauge. The longer, tapered gauge may be to measure barrel erosion, however there are no markings to indicate "go" or "no-go."

I checked the Laidler and Iannamico books for these tools, but did not see them listed or shown. The Sten Mk III was not a very popular design, so maybe they are not common gauges...at least I've never seen them before. Maybe the longer one has to do with the Sten MK III barrel being non-removable?

If anyone has more information on these gauges, I'm interested in learning about them. Perhaps one of our British members may be able to provide further insight?

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/Sten_Gauges_Web.JPG

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

A nice find.

Stricktly speaking the gauges are for a MK111 barrel, for a Sten gun. The Mk5 Sten used a MK4 barrel according to my Illustrated Parts List for this model. I suspect the Mk3 Sten did use a mark 3 barrel, assuming the Mk1 and Mk1* Sten had the MK1 barrel and the MK2 Sten used a Mark 2 barrel. My parts manual for the Mk1 to MK3 Sten not to hand.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

• Upvote 1

Hi David

It's a pleasant 28C here in Sydney today.

D D (E) stands for Design Drawing (Enfield)

Not certain about 'P V E' but I think this may be the initials of the manufacturer, somthing somthing Engineering, for example.

Regards

Alan