Jump to content


Photo

M1A Build—Kinda


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

    Member

  • Regular Group
  • 39 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aurora, NC
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

This certainly qualifies as a semi auto variant. Began life as a mini30 but grew up and became a M1a -kinda. Accuracy Systems did the bbl brace, triggerjob and m14 flash hider. I did the m14 stock inlet, fake scope mount and paint job. Shoots good too.

Attached Files


Edited by Baltimoreed11754, 23 August 2018 - 11:21 PM.

  • 1

#2 Adg105200

Adg105200

    Regular Member

  • Board Donor
  • 667 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern USA
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

Looks good! What do you mean by 'fake' scope mount?

Andrew
  • 0

#3 taeelec

taeelec

    Member

  • Regular Group
  • 40 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon
  • Interests:WW2 small arms

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

I'm impressed. Good job! Todd in Oregon


  • 0

#4 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

    Member

  • Regular Group
  • 39 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aurora, NC
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the compliments, the actual scope rings are ruger rings mounted on the action using the built in ruger scallops. The aluminum angle under the large round knob is just a piece of angle that hides the ruger scope mounting screws. I added the curved piece over the ejection port to make it wider. While I couldn’t afford one of the ARTll scopes [it wouldn’t have worked for 7.62x39 anyway] the early M14 used 3x9 Redfield scopes so I found an older 70s model with the right logos. There’s alot of jb weld, 2 walnut blocks and some 20 gauge sheet steel in the stock to fit the smaller action into the larger opening. Funny though that the screws for the ruger stock reinforcement lined up with the m1a reinforcement holes. I also retapped the reinforcement screw holes to use the larger 2 holed m1a screws instead of the slotted ruger screws. And drilled a hole in the ruger safety to make it look more correct. A good build.
  • 0

#5 Adg105200

Adg105200

    Regular Member

  • Board Donor
  • 667 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern USA
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

Ah, now I see it. Looks like a clean job though! Did you do the camo job on it yourself as well?

Andrew
  • 0

#6 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

    Member

  • Regular Group
  • 39 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aurora, NC
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

Yes, this was my first rattlecan painted rifle. Initially I wasn’t going to paint the scope but I didn’t like the way it looked so I masked it and painted it too. I used rustolium primer and their camo paints. Finished it with their matt clearcoat.
  • 0

#7 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

    Regular Member

  • Board Donor
  • 746 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South West Montana
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

Nice job.
  • 0