Colt 1921 Thompson & M1A1

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mid Ohio Services

Mid Ohio Services

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Colt 1921 Thompson and M1A1+ Drums, Magazines, Accessories listed on GunBroker. Take a look

if you care to.

#2 bob241

bob241

• Board Donor
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, lugers, 1966 Shelbys

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Parts guns

https://www.gunbroke.../item/803927227

#3 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

Are you selling the oiler from the Colt separately too?

#4 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

The seller is very proud of his listings.

#5 firearm

firearm

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Pics could be better.  Maybe a couple things are priced too high, like the 20 rd. Seymour mag and the M1A1 parts kit.  On the other hand the NY "L" drum would be an absolute steal at that price.  You can bet it will sell for a lot more.  If you are looking for an original Colt actuator, Colt wood or a barrel, good luck finding a nice one.  The parts set, if all original is a deal at that price.  I think I am going to try and take out that shot mag.  #6222 went to a hardware store in St. Louis in 1928.  Records say that it was a 21A.  Wonder why 6222 would not be transferable and or why it was chopped? What a waste!

#6 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1858 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:12 AM

Update. I did speak to the seller now and confirmed the guns were not registered and not all from the same collection.

I am told the M50 and 1921 parts are in beautiful condition.

Thank you to Mid Ohio for contacting me to clarify the history on these and thus I have updated my post.

Ron

#7 Junkhunter

Junkhunter

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:07 AM

Did we have to chop up the toy MP40 too?

#8 inertord

inertord

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Did we have to chop up the toy MP40 too?

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that it was a Model Gun Corporation piece, probably not the current bidders....

#9 Atllaw

Atllaw

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

Hard to tell from the pics, but doesnt it look like the receiver has just been cut by one pass through a bandsaw? Might be a good candidate for a post sample restoration.

#10 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Frankly, I cant understand why anyone would make a parts kit out of a toy replica cap gun, which is what Model Gun Corporation (MGC) made. My guess is the person who did the work had no clue what they were doing.

I agree that the bidders may not know the parts are from a toy gun.

#11 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1858 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

Hard to tell from the pics, but doesnt it look like the receiver has just been cut by one pass through a bandsaw? Might be a good candidate for a post sample restoration.

If you are referring to the MP40, good luck with that. I sold a mint MGC MP40 for about $700 a while back. Maybe I should have dewatted it. If anyone is not sure what an MGC gun is, I suggest some googling

Ron

#12 Mid Ohio Services

Mid Ohio Services

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Hi:; i keep hearing reference toy gun ? the gun and parts are all solid metal , steel  a good 5 or 6 lbs. imm asuming  the bidder knows what he is bidding on he also has bid a substancial amount on the colt 21, if bidder is not happy with it i will refund all money and shipping tks.

#13 villafuego

villafuego

• Regular Group
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

That MGC MP-40 is/was a replica made in Japan in the late 60's thru the 80's.

They were constructed of thin-gauge sheet metal, and pot-metal, and never designed as anything other than display guns, or to fire "PFC" caps loaded with a charge similar to a roll cap gun. Collectors Armoury in VA used to sell them for a 199.00

They are in no way dimensionally similar to a real MP-40, nor are their materials in any way capable of handling the firing of a 9x19 round.

Kind of the equivalent of one of the Denix or MGC replica Thompsons you see on Ebay all the time....but cut into bits 

#14 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3231 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Mid Ohio Services, 

I believe you cut up a toy gun. It is a very realistic replica. I own one that I purchased new in the box circa 1969 for $50. Shown below is link to one currently on ebay.  

https://www.ebay.com...2YAAOSweWtcaGi~

I always wondered if the magazine would work in a real MP40. 

#15 Mid Ohio Services

Mid Ohio Services

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

excuse me , i never said i cut the mp40 up it was purchased that way  from an estate in cleveland ohio along with the sten 9mm.   more photos were added to the listing  #804095581 thank you.

#16 av8tr

av8tr

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

Contrary to what the ad says, I'm afraid you do know more about it now, from the education given in this thread.  The right thing to do would be to add a comment to the auction that this is, in fact, a toy gun made by Model Gun Corp.

#17 Rimcrew

Rimcrew

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Just noticed that the comp on the 21 barrel is the first generation variety.  

What a shame that they cut up that beautiful work of art.  The condition WAS amazing...

#18 Junkhunter

Junkhunter

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

I really worry the guy that chopped the toy MP-40 and others, was not knowledgeable enough to do diligence on checking the registration status of these before chopping them.

#19 Atllaw

Atllaw

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

Well, at least from what I understand, the proper destruction of the receiver of the Thompson would require it to be torch cut. I think one pass through the band saw (as it looks like this one has done) would not cut it. Maybe the receiver is not included in the sale and Mid Ohio has some way to legally own it. Sure someone can correct me if I am missing something.

It is a shame this was cut up in the first place. Just the parts are beautiful.

#20 inertord

inertord

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

https://www.atf.gov/...estroy-firearms