Thompsons Reported in Ukraine

In the early 2000's,many of the deactivated Thompsons in Europe, as well as the parts kits in the USA, originated from WW2 stocks left in the Ukraine. So it does not surprise me that some Thompsons remained over there.

Thompsons, mainly M1A1's, showed up in the Bosnian wars too.

Edited by rpbcps

Very interesting, I have the feeling we'll being seeing more examples of Thompsons within this conflict, even more so if it spreads. The Bosnian conflict in 92 and beyond brought out many examples of use. Well known is the US WW2 aid packages to Russia during WW2 with untold numbers of Thompsons. Later the US provided Yugoslavia an enormous war material aid package in the early 50's which included thousands of M1 / M1A1 Thompsons as well.

Very interesting, I have the feeling we'll being seeing more examples of Thompsons within this conflict, even more so if it spreads. The Bosnian conflict in 92 and beyond brought out many examples of use. Well known is the US WW2 aid packages to Russia during WW2 with untold numbers of Thompsons. Later the US provided Yugoslavia an enormous war material aid package in the early 50's which included thousands of M1 / M1A1 Thompsons as well.

Indeed, here is a photo of a Yugoslavian manual for the M1A1, from my collection.

Croatian Issued M1A1 Manual1953.JPG

Bit of additional perspective, the Bosnian's regardless of ethnic persuasion, considered the Thompson as a "police" weapon and mostly useful in that capacity with a limited range of usefulness. They really preferred the excellent Yugo produced AK series of rifles.