1940 Model 1928 M1 Handbook Question

I got this Model 1928 M1 Hanbook but it appears it does not or never had the M1 info inside.

Has anyone seen this before? It has the 2 blank pages in the back just like the 1928 only handbook

Thanks

AC06A6C2-4558-4B92-BF40-52EC8F2A9132.jpeg128E26DE-7485-47B1-AE3A-28566B8636DF.jpeg58EE88E5-E0E1-4607-966F-1ACA1522A8B1.jpegF16DDBC7-DE07-4690-9BB9-03931633FEB8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This is an interesting Edition of 1940 handbook variation I have not seen previously. David Albert is the expert on the AOC 1940 handbooks. Turn to page 674 of The Ultimate Thompson Book for more information on the transition of the 1940 handbooks. This handbook obviously missed a step!

A great find!

Larry,

you find some interesting items.

stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Removed I had a few like that decades ago. and long sold off. One in Ohio someplace another in Indiana.

Still waiting for that pile of 1921 Instruction sheets to turn up. Sent one to Tracie when he was doing his book. so he could post a caption and picture in his book which he did.That one came out of the Bristow, OK gun. Sheriffs Dept.And for decades in all the military and P.D. Depts never found anymore. Yet research told me one was packed with all GUNS when they left factory. in Envelope. And a abundance of Excelsior.

Good find on that Manual. out of hundreds i only had two.I miss the early smell of manuals in the morning.. Kinda like 'Victory"

Colt 21A Ron

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

On the subject of the 1940 edition 1928 Handbooks, I have recently purchased a NY address variant, which came with a pull-out sheet on 'stoppages'.

I already have a couple of the same NY address handbooks, bought over the years, but they did not come with the pull-out sheet. So I was wondering if copies of this 1928 handbook, with the pull-out sheets are harder to find.

1940 NY address HDBK with pull-out.JPG

Do a lot you out there have a copy of the handbook with a pull-out sheet in your collections?

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 1

rpbcps,

That is a great find. The 1940 handbooks with the New York address are hard enough to find, much less one with the original insert. I consider the "complete" original 1940 New York handbook with insert very rare. The forum first learned about this insert from another member in the UK around 5 years ago:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15432&hl=%2B1940+%2Bhandbook&do=findComment&comment=128231

Of note, I have found more 1940 handbooks with the New York address in Great Britain than in the USA. I was very lucky and found this insert in one of the 1940 New York handbooks I purchased years ago. The insert was not mentioned in the auction. Sometimes it is better being lucky than good!

The insert, providing the user information on jams and failures to feed, was included as the center pages (see below) in subsequent editions of the 1940 handbook.

Center of Book.JPG

Thanks for sharing Richard. All good stuff!

Tom,

Thanks for that information, always a pleasure to learn from your knowledge.

The two other 1940 NY address handbooks that I have, now surplus to my needs, do not have the centre pages as you show above, so I guess that was introduced in the 1940 Bridgeport address handbooks. Indeed having the information on jams and failures to feed included as the centre pages, was probably more practical to end the users than have a larger pull-out sheet.

If more of the 1940 NY address handbooks are found in the UK, I guess that was due to the early purchases of the Model of 1928's made by the British govt., presuming each TSMG was issued with a handbook.

Thanks

Richard