1. 1. Which system would you prefer?

• Original spring retaining system
    • New, break resistant spring retaining system

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (45fan @ Sep 24 2004, 12:08 PM)
Put me down for a couple if reasonably priced!

Indeed, if reasonably priced, I will be buying also. How many that will be I don't know. We'll see. Anyway, get them while the getting is good folks! Just got to LOVE the look of the "C" Drum! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Just got to LOVE the look of the "C" Drum!

Yes, I do; but I can't say they same for the weight of a "C" drum when it is loaded! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Who is going to make "C" drums?"

Norm

I'd be interested!

Everyone has to realize that any drum made today would likely be a bit lesser quality than an original, and even if they are excellent quality they will still not be originals.

That said, even the LEO drums are collectible. These are drums from an era where Hi-caps were once banned for all but the police and Military. They are already a piece of history, just as Westies are!

And any new "C" drums made by Thompson would become part of the history surrounding this company.

SO, if we are thinking about having "C" drums made by Kahr (??just a guess?? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif ) then we may as well go with an improved design as most of these will be shooters anyway, right?

Just my .02 worth....

john

QUOTE (john @ Sep 24 2004, 05:28 PM)
I'd be interested!

Everyone has to realize that any drum made today would likely be a bit lesser quality than an original, and even if they are excellent quality they will still not be originals.

If I'm correct about my belief who the individual is involved with producing these new "C" Drums, the quality will exceed that of an Original by far. Also, "THOMPSON" isn't producing these, as you mentioned. I believe you may have meant Karh, as they go by "Auto-Ordnance". However, Karh is in no way connected to the original Auto-Ordnance of yeasteryear.

I obviously haven't been paying attention to the "C" drum deal but from what has been written-if they run right and don't cost an arm and a leg (current reail on an arm is $450 and a Leg $600 (haaha)) then I am also game for several "C"'s also, probably 3-4 in addition tothe L's in the group buy, just as soon store my 45 ammo in un-wound drums as in boxes/cases laying about.

M

Lionhart, you are correct.

What I meant was Kahr (AKA Auto-Ordnance) but my statement still holds true. Whomever makes these....they will historically become a piece of Thompson Lore.

Look at all the contractors who made mags for the M16. They are all correct even though they don't say "Colt" on the floorplate.

And TSMG mags by Seymour and Crosby......

My point about quality refers to the cost of tooling for a decent drum. If Kahr had wanted to do it right originally they would have had to spend a bit more. I'm sure that these could easily be made much better but is the earning potential worth the cost to whomever takes this project on??

Personally, I hope so, because I'd like a few rerally NICE drums!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Will the quality drive the price? Definitely.

Kinda like GHs parts boxes. Many here have no concept of the tens of thousands of dollars that a set of stamping and forming dies cost to make nowadays. If you think Gordon asks too much for his boxes, take a picture of one to a metal stamping shop and ask for an estimate to make a couple hundred. And then there is the finishing process......For what was done, these boxes are a bargain!

Drums of superb quality will cost more (and the dies have a limited life....they wear out eventually). But I'd rather pay more for quality and love to use the product than save a couple bucks and curse the day I bought it in the first place!!!

john

So we don't miss it, will there be an e-mail going out to all who replied, or should we be checking the boards on a daily basis, or should we not expect to hear anything for another month?

Just wondering. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

All dissemination of information will be here on the board; no email will be sent, no lists are being kept.

I had hoped the principle party would have posted by now, but expect him to soon.

Keep your eye on the board.

Here is a copy of an email Merle sent me regarding a W/H C drum I almost bought about a year ago:

I will be glad to help you in  any way that I can once you buy that drum. I charge 295$ for installing a new spring and giving it a good tune up. I also reinforce all the pusher arms. That includes postage and ins. back to you. All my work is guaranteed and I will make it run with a 28. The 21 at 1000 plus RPMs is a bit more then it wants to keep up with  sometimes. When I get it finished it is still not a Colt drum but I am sure you will be happy with it

Considering I quit bidding at $1000 and was planning to spend another $300 plus shipping I would be willing to go more than the $400-500

Realistically the L drums are much more abundant and readily available if I can get double the capacity and buy it way below Klinton AWB ban prices sounds good to me. Let's face most of us will never own a C at any price simply because supplies are drying up. If PK is truly up to something this could be a rare oppurtunity.