To Refinish Or Not Refinish?

QUOTE (pat k @ Sep 25 2004, 11:25 PM)
Thanks, John.
Does pitting progress, or cause ongoing damage?
Or should I not worry, since there's no rust, and just keep it oiled down, and wipe fingerprints off w/ silicone cloth?

While a newby on Thomsons, can talk about rust http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Assuming the pits are not so deep to cause functional / stress issues (in which case one would be looking at possible welding .... or not getting) and you have the active live "red rust" taken care of, then keeping the gun clean (i.e. no salts from fingers, WWII ammo etc.) and well oiled should not give you any issues.

Now a pitted receiver will be harder to clean (slightly) due to the roughness and where ever the pitting is (or any other bare metal) then the oil film is you only protection.

I do not like a silicone cloth that well, instead I keep an "oil" cloth with what ever I am using (modern black guns get Break Free and blued steel and walnut guns get Hoppies, with the black powder getting Brownells Rust Preventive #2 (hunting guns also get this during hunting season).

This along with having cleaning sovent tanks, one ultrasonic and a four by eight foot cleaning table ... might indicate I need to shoot more and clean less ... LOL!.

If you follow the "Antiques Road Show" theory, any refinish regardless of how professionally or well done reduces collector value far more than a poor but original finish. Are you concerned with ultimate collector value or resale value to a party who may be concerned about collector value? Alternatively, do you want a gun that looks original or looks good on the range regardless of collector value?

Best of luck whatever your decision.

Rat-tat-tat!

I think it's kind of like the guildlines used when looking at restoring an old airplane: When little or none of the original finish remains, it's fair game for restoration. Your gun, your call.

If the pitting is removed during the restoration process, the markings will likely go as well. Personally, I like the idea of a really ratty looking but functional TSMG, warts and all. It has truely been there and done that!

My AO 28 is prominently marked by the Mobile PD. Very prominently. These guys talked me out of refinishing it, and glad I didn't do it.

My .02 says stop what is happening, and if it doesn't affect the integrity, leave it alone.

Ken

pat k ,I'd do as 1927A suggested. Talk to PK first! I'll bet he can refinish your tommy without destroying any of your valued historical markings. Then you'll have a beautiful gun. Only the super serious collectors care about finish. They don't seem to buy them unless they can steal them anyway. Just my 02. Enjoy your new gun and let us know what you decide.