To make a Long story short, inherited a M1A1 from my stepfather a few years back but haven't taken possession of it. it's still locked in his gun safe. But have been getting a itch to take possession. It was handed down from his father and so on. Not even sure if it fires or not. Afraid since it wasn't registered in my name and not sure if it was in his. Have taken apart cleaned. Every things there and works mechanically. But has a few cuts behind the barrel . Thinking to keep it from firing. Have a appointment with a lawyer next week to see what route to take or even if it was worth pursuing? I'll try and post pics. If anyone can give me any info it would be appreciated thanks.

post-260987-0-76956900-1487216050_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-66736300-1487216072_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-23133200-1487216098_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-73784000-1487216214_thumb.jpg

Hi Caminokid1968,

I'm sure others will chime in. The first thing I noticed about the gun is it does not appear to have any patent numbers (or dates) on the RHS of the receiver. The slot in the LHS would likely take out the model number engraving. It also does not appear to have a S/N. The gun may be some kind of training model. If the gun is not a registered dewat, I suspect it may be contraband. The Gov doesn't care if it can't shoot. If the receiver is mostly intact, they get really, really mean. If you are lucky you can find some paperwork on the gun in your FIL's stuff. If it is not registered, it may not be legal and there isn't anything you can do with it other than remove the bits and destroy the receiver. I'd certainly attempt to verify the guns registration status prior to destroying the gun.

Others will be here soon.

Take care,

Grasshopper

Appears to be an attempt at a "cutaway" model of a Colt style or later 1928 style type Thompson. Under current federal law, "cutaway" MGs must be registered since the receiver is sufficiently intact to function even though the barrel chamber has been opened up and there are other openings I n the receiver. As noted above the receiver is the controlling element under the law and the eceiver of this gun appears to be intact and able to function.

So, as an unregistered machine gun, it is contraband and illegal for you to possess. To render it a non-gun, or in other words to remove it from the legal control of ATF, the receiver must be torch cut into four parts, with three diagonal cuts evenly spaced along the receiver. The damaged barrel, internal parts and any small parts assembled or riveted to the receiver such as the ejector and the rear sight can be removed as none of these are controlled or illegal to possess. All undamaged parts have value. The lower receiver, meaning the pistol gripped trigger frame also is not contolled and is legal for you to possess and has value.

If you destroy the upper receiver, you can buy a "dummy" 1928 Thompson receiver and assemble the parts to it such as will still fit and have. Dummy display Thompson.

As a cutaway, the MG appears far less "threatening" to the casual observer, but it is still an unregistered machine gun under the law so you need to address this pro-actively to avoid any legal hassles. There is no way to make this gun legal for private possession with the one exception: you locate registration paperwork for this gun. My intuition is that there is no paperwork and the gun was a project undertaken by an earlier relative or acquired by him as an interesting gun.

I'd advise disassembling the upper receiver from the lower, removing internal parts and storing the upper receiver out of the way until you decide what you are going to do under your limited options. If you have a family lawyer, let him store it.

If you want a lawyer, you will need one that has experience with ATF regs and NFA firearms, meaning machine guns.

Your options are:

1. Disassemble the upper receiver of all parts and torch cut it into four parts or have this done. You can google up NFA Handbook and look up the section on "destroying" unregistered MG receivers if you want further guidance. Leftover parts can be kept or sold. The torch cut receiver parts are also legal to possess and are no longer an unregistered MG.

2. Locate nearest ATF office and turn it over to them. They will pat you on the back for being a good citizen and getting a dangerous gu off the streets.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Before making any assumptions, I will ask...

What Country is it in?

The responses concerning legality above apply if in the United States.

However, it is possible it never was a gun and the internals are such that the ATF would never consider it a gun. Pictures of it disassembled would clear that up.

Before you panic that the ATF is going to kick in your door, I suspect they are going to be quite reasonable with someone that is just trying to do the right thing. Don't take possession until the legal status is cleared up, and make sure the attorney you are meeting with knows NFA law (very few do). If you want the name of a lawyer that specializes in this area, message me and I'll send you some names.

Odds are the ATF is just going to tell you it is contraband and request that you abandon it to them. If you comply, no harm no foul. If you fight them on it... ...well don't.

(Your mileage may vary listen to your attorney)

Additional notes: in doing some research the ATF it appears has changed it's mind several times on the M14 question. I have seen a letter from the 80's saying it was OK, but there are more recent letters saying it is not OK

Edited by wwiifirearms

• 5 years later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:36 PM, Caminokid1968@yahoo.com said:

To make a Long story short, inherited a M1A1 from my stepfather a few years back but haven't taken possession of it. it's still locked in his gun safe. But have been getting a itch to take possession. It was handed down from his father and so on. Not even sure if it fires or not. Afraid since it wasn't registered in my name and not sure if it was in his. Have taken apart cleaned. Every things there and works mechanically. But has a few cuts behind the barrel . Thinking to keep it from firing. Have a appointment with a lawyer next week to see what route to take or even if it was worth pursuing? I'll try and post pics. If anyone can give me any info it would be appreciated thanks.

post-260987-0-76956900-1487216050_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-66736300-1487216072_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-23133200-1487216098_thumb.jpg

post-260987-0-73784000-1487216214_thumb.jpg

I know what that is. Its a VERY rare savage training gun to show how the action works. generally, they were made from scrap parts, but what is really unusual about this, was savage and AO were going to build a number of "Highbred' 1928s using 1928 receivers and M1a1 parts, and actually did a number for evaluation. but the Govt. decided they had enough M1a1's and M1 Grease guns so it apparently, did not go forward.   I have one almost identical, M1a1 rear sight, and a filled barrel with a non compensated sight.  Take a LOT of pictures, as far as i know only 3 or so ever made it into civvy hands.      Lucky guy................

14 hours ago, scotty1957**** said:

I know what that is. Its a VERY rare savage training gun to show how the action works. generally, they were made from scrap parts, but what is really unusual about this, was savage and AO were going to build a number of "Highbred' 1928s using 1928 receivers and M1a1 parts, and actually did a number for evaluation. but the Govt. decided they had enough M1a1's and M1 Grease guns so it apparently, did not go forward.   I have one almost identical, M1a1 rear sight, and a filled barrel with a non compensated sight.  Take a LOT of pictures, as far as i know only 3 or so ever made it into civvy hands.      Lucky guy................

You are 100% correct in that this is a display "see through" gun. I have seen several M16's with exact type of cut-a-ways. Still a MG though.... this belongs in a museum!