Which Model to Buy

I have been a sponge here for a long time, soaking up all the knowledge I can get. I now have found three Thompson's which I am interested in buying, but can't decide which to get.

The choices are a 21A, 21AC, or 28 Navy. All are former PD guns, and in nice, original, condition. Condition being equal, is one preferable to the other, or is it a personal preference kind of thing?

It would be much easier if I were only looking at one, but three is making it difficult... :)

I'll be buying TD's book soon, just to make sure I don't overlook something. TIA

8z09DtL.jpg

q6E4XEi.jpg

Wc2djNI.jpg

Edited by Rimcrew

They all look nice. What's the asking price? Are they priced the same?

I am trying to establish a price for them. It's a friend, and we want to be fair with each other.

For now, I would say all would be priced about the same. What that is, I have no idea yet.

Rimcrew,

You are going to love my book. As to your choice, look at the last sentence on page 179. That is all you need to know if all things are equal.

You have a great opportunity to examine 3 Colt's in one setting. I emphasize original finish and barrels. Look at all three together to judge the finish. Is the finish about equal on each gun notwithstanding wear spots. Is the color on all three the same. If all three were police guns, it is common to find similar wear patterns. They may be different models now, but all three were originally manufactured as 1921As.

Do the same examination with the barrels, both right and left sides. Where does the grip mount fit under the fin. Count the fins. Look at the index markings. Compare to the pictures in my book. Read & reread the captions! With three Colt's it will be much easier to recognize something out of place. This is an expensive undertaking. Friend or no friend, do not believe what the last seller told your friend about each of the Colt's, probably years ago. Verify! Feel comfortable or walk away.

As a heads up, the actuator on NO 4417 is suspect. If one thing is wrong on a Colt's, the chances something else is wrong is great magnified. Also double check the actuator on NAVY NO 7126. I have a complete chapter on the Colt era 28 NAVY actuators. I have seen too many GI actuators in Colt NAVYs over the years. Be suspicious. Take my book and a pen with you. Write down what you see in the margins. The cost of my book is nothing compared to a Colt's.

And enjoy the time spent looking at these great American icons!

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone!

I am leaning towards the 21A, but I too thought the actuator looked odd. The stock is also cracked on the 21A at the front, so I may have to pass on it - or adjust the price accordingly.

Once TD's book arrives, and I have a chance to disassemble them, I will know better what I am dealing with and report back.

Nice looking guns! Yes, I would definitely get TD's book and study it before you make your choice, you won't regret buying it. I also agree with TD, the actuator on 4417 is not a Colt actuator, and like he says if one thing is wrong, quite often there are other things wrong.

Get Tom's book and then make a decision, and don't forget to check the internal parts to ensure they are Colt not GI.

Thanks Frank, will do.

I just re-read American Thunder today, to get myself back up to speed on various items.

As you said,you are trying to establish a fair price for each.

That said, these guns don't come up for sale too very often.

I would feel terrible separating the family and so my advice would be to buy all three as a group!

As you said,you are trying to establish a fair price for each.

That said, these guns don't come up for sale too very often.

I would feel terrible separating the family and so my advice would be to buy all three as a group!

Just tell your wife you got a twofer. She'll be so damned mad that she won't even notice the third one

Bottom line, if they are all correct, you need to pick the one that has the character and flaws, aka, dings scratches and blemishes, that you can live with. You need to consider the cost on each and what is the most bang for your buck. So, which one will bring you the most joy as its new owner. Which one feels right as you hold it and look at it. Thats the one you pick.

Personally, I have a 28 Navy so I would look at the others. You have a choice, choose wisely.

I like the look, feeling and way the 21A shoots. That said, my gun is an AC as the history of the gun was fitting for what I wanted. However since I shoot it occasionally, I took off the original barrel with Type 1 comp and installed a PK 21A barrel for shooting.

Choose wisely but also realize you will love whatever you decide because it will eventually be sitting in your gun safe!

Ron

I was able to disassemble them today and the 21A and 28N look very good internally. The only non-Colt part I could see was the bolt for the 21A, it is a Savage.

Is this a deal breaker? How much would a Colt bolt cost, or can they even be found.

The actuators for both are in a bag in a parts box, presumably for safe keeping should he fire the guns. The Navy is a two-piece actuator - I was excited to see that.

The barrels appear to be original, I can see no evidence of the sight pins being removed, they both have 29 fins, the grip frame rests on number 21, and the comps and barrels have similar wear to the receiver. Anything else I should look for to determine barrel originality?

TD's book arrived today and was VERY helpful. Thank you sir!